Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College football map

Default College football map

Usually these are ridiculous clickbait, but Tatanka posted this on twitter:

College Football Fan Map | Tableau Public

You can drill down to county-level. I don't want to give away too much, but it looks to me like NDSU is more popular in ND than Alabama is in Alabama.

And you can see how regional college football is - no team is making much penetration outside their immediate region.

Default Re: College football map

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post

You can drill down to county-level. I don't want to give away too much, but it looks to me like NDSU is more popular in ND than Alabama is in Alabama.

And you can see how regional college football is - no team is making much penetration outside their immediate region.

Its wild how much Television affects this. I was raised in Alexandria- doulglas county the last gopher county before Bison country, and the NDSU fandom in the community in Alexandria is very sparse. 23% according to the map. Games were never on tv there whatsoever. Of course there are Bison fans but it does not move the needle among kids etc because they were never on tv etc. As a child, I would usually be the only kid at school rockin an NDSU sweatshirt.

6 years ago I moved 20 miles north, just barely into ottertail county, where Fargo TV is the "local" tv channel. I remember driving past the local elementary school soon after moving (around 2017) and the kids were lined up outside waiting for the school bus, and I shit you not, HALF of the boys were wearing NDSU gear. It looked like a bison pep rally. TV exposure makes all the difference. The graph says that NDSU is 56% of the market share in OTC, and hell, it may be even more based on my experience over the last 6 years here.

The difference is 20 miles, and cable package, thats it. Wild how much it affects your fandom
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yes, it is a joke. Shows Prairie County Mt, where I live as having one fan for Alabama with no Cat or Griz fans. Everyone here besides me, are pretty much Griz or Cat fans.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Yes, it is a joke. Shows Prairie County Mt, where I live as having one fan for Alabama with no Cat or Griz fans. Everyone here besides me, are pretty much Griz or Cat fans.
    Well, you gotta get more people on Twitter in your county!

Any sampling like this is going to suffer from "small sample size" errors. Cripes, Slope County in ND doesn't have any data. You'd think the Amidon cop would have plenty of time to be on Twitter.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Well, you gotta get more people on Twitter in your county!

Any sampling like this is going to suffer from "small sample size" errors. Cripes, Slope County in ND doesn't have any data. You'd think the Amidon cop would have plenty of time to be on Twitter.
    Most people here still interact the old face to face way, rather than social media.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

what's the #2 team in Hennepin County? Minneapolis.

you guessed it. NDSU!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    what's the #2 team in Hennepin County? Minneapolis.

you guessed it. NDSU!
    Actually I guessed Wisconsin....

Can anyone guess the only MVFC team (including Murray St) who doesn't have a plurality in at least one county???

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

Can anyone guess the only MVFC team (including Murray St) who doesn't have a plurality in at least one county???
    I'd guess Missouri State (edit: And I'm wrong.)

One thing I noticed was that the only UND county outside of Grand Forks is actually a tie between NDSU and UND (Polk in MN) - NDSU shows up fairly well in WI too.

I-29 corridor in SD is cool.....almost as many NDSU as USD folks.....

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

My guess was correct. and I was surprised how many MVFC teams have the most followers in multiple counties.
    It's OK to not be OK.