Page 8 of 81 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Recruiting Updates

Default Re: 2024 Recruiting Updates

NIL is ruining college football. Just simply stupid. Thanks NCAA for caving. This is not professional sports! I will soon stop being a booster and quit watching college football.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    NIL is ruining college football. Just simply stupid. Thanks NCAA for caving. This is not professional sports! I will soon stop being a booster and quit watching college football.
    Its becoming gross. To put a positive spin on it, the top of the FCS is better equipped to further dominate other FCS schools. Whoever organizes the most private money will be the winner. However the higher the level the more difficult it becomes. This will trickle down and make D2 really bad and D3 laughably bad. In theory if we do a good NIL. We could pick up every top D2 prospect and give walk ons enoigh NIL money to essentially make them a scholarship player

But the challange is do we lose donations for the endowment fund or facilities?

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Its becoming gross. To put a positive spin on it, the top of the FCS is better equipped to further dominate other FCS schools. Whoever organizes the most private money will be the winner. However the higher the level the more difficult it becomes. This will trickle down and make D2 really bad and D3 laughably bad. In theory if we do a good NIL. We could pick up every top D2 prospect and give walk ons enoigh NIL money to essentially make them a scholarship player

But the challange is do we lose donations for the endowment fund or facilities?
    As that esteemed professor once said, "We are not a football vocational school." You remember him......the one with the bowtie.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Man wonder if any of the Elite Programs come calling. He sure looks like the real deal.
    The crazy thing is he wasn’t really dominate for Kindred at the third level in ND. He must really be doing something at these camps.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If he wasn’t dominate than that would concern me. Ogbu was not dominate at Shiloh either and received some good late FBS offers. Players need to have a killer instinct once the play starts.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    If he wasn’t dominate than that would concern me. Ogbu was not dominate at Shiloh either and received some good late FBS offers. Players need to have a killer instinct once the play starts.
    There are a lot of players who don't dominate in high school, but they have the body/frame/athleticism that college coaches know they can work with. My son graduated with a kid who was 6'8" and 380. He couldn't block to save his life, but he was big. Recruited by IU. They strengthened him up and got him to about 330. He started in the B1G for 2 or 3 years, and I believe it's still on the Packers practice squad.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    There are a lot of players who don't dominate in high school, but they have the body/frame/athleticism that college coaches know they can work with. My son graduated with a kid who was 6'8" and 380. He couldn't block to save his life, but he was big. Recruited by IU. They strengthened him up and got him to about 330. He started in the B1G for 2 or 3 years, and I believe it's still on the Packers practice squad.

Cordell Volson comes to mind eh. He was petty timid in high school eh.

Lardsin must go!

"NIL is ruining college football. Just simply stupid. Thanks NCAA for caving. This is not professional sports! I will soon stop being a booster and quit watching college football."

This is interesting item. I do agree with SD as this will have wide ranging impacts by showing how underpaid college athletes are.
    If we look at NFL they share 48.5 percent revenue with the players as salaries. The administration, coaches and schools are getting rich while the players are not getting their share.

What percentage of college football revenue gets shared with players?
    If we take for example the new Big Ten contract 1 billion a year. 48% of that revenue would be about 480,000,000 dollars should be shared/paid to the players per year. Take for example for numbers for the Big Ten _ we will say about 400 million should be player salaries for easy numbers.

Big ten 14 football teams
    85 players per team
    $75,000 room board, meals, travel, tuition, training equipment per player
    14 x 85 x 75000 = Total Salary estimation 90,000,000

Around 400 million should be revenue share for players and currently they are getting 90 million estimation. There should be a couple hundred million more going directly to the players. If college football adopted a funding model similar to NFL, it would seems the colleges are taking advantage of young employees who do not yet know their worth.

There is no pensions for college football players, there no long term health insurance if they get injured that I know of.

Using these rough numbers players in the Big Ten seem to be underpaid as a percentage of revenue.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by blackdiamond2 View Post
    "NIL is ruining college football. Just simply stupid. Thanks NCAA for caving. This is not professional sports! I will soon stop being a booster and quit watching college football."

This is interesting item. I do agree with SD as this will have wide ranging impacts by showing how underpaid college athletes are.
    If we look at NFL they share 48.5 percent revenue with the players as salaries. The administration, coaches and schools are getting rich while the players are not getting their share.

What percentage of college football revenue gets shared with players?
    If we take for example the new Big Ten contract 1 billion a year. 48% of that revenue would be about 480,000,000 dollars should be shared/paid to the players per year. Take for example for numbers for the Big Ten _ we will say about 400 million should be player salaries for easy numbers.

Big ten 14 football teams
    85 players per team
    $75,000 room board, meals, travel, tuition, training equipment per player
    14 x 85 x 75000 = Total Salary estimation 90,000,000

Around 400 million should be revenue share for players and currently they are getting 90 million estimation. There should be a couple hundred million more going directly to the players. If college football adopted a funding model similar to NFL, it would seems the colleges are taking advantage of young employees who do not yet know their worth.

There is no pensions for college football players, there no long term health insurance if they get injured that I know of.

Using these rough numbers players in the Big Ten seem to be underpaid as a percentage of revenue.
    You are completely missing the fact that revenue is funding all 20+ sports at these schools. And all the services and facilities those athletes are getting. Schools aren't getting rich from athletics. There aren't profits involved in most athletic programs. Almost all receive some funds from university or student fees or state funding or booster fundraising. Lots of revenue but also lots of expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    You are completely missing the fact that revenue is funding all 20+ sports at these schools. And all the services and facilities those athletes are getting. Schools aren't getting rich from athletics. There aren't profits involved in most athletic programs. Almost all receive some funds from university or student fees or state funding or booster fundraising. Lots of revenue but also lots of expenses.

Good points. As I mentioned in the above we are talking Big Ten related schools...I am not talking Summit Leagues/MVFC.

One question for you.

1) What percentage of TV revenue should go directly to football players that are in the Big Ten? I used NFL model where players get 48% for the numbers.

Some data to think about:

The Georgia/LSU football game averaged 10.89 million viewers (Source - https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/col...ll-tv-ratings/)
    The Michigan/Purdue football game averaged 10.7 million viewers
    The highest viewed basketball game this year was Creighton/DePaul at just under 3 million views. (source - https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/202...xing-day-luka/ )
    The women's Volleyball championship game had 786,000 viewers on ESPN2.