Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your bad/good recruiting takes

Default Your bad/good recruiting takes

So if you go to the 2023 recruiting summary thread, there are links to all the previous recruiting summaries and, from there, see what you said about recruits when they gave their verbal.

I just checked out Luepke's thread from the 2018 summary: There were only 9 posts from the signing period. I remember thinking he looked like an animal in his highlights... but that might be a false memory because all I posted was "Yeah, a state champion wrestler... not quite as speedy [as Morlock], but one heck of an athlete."

I'm going to rate that take as bad. He is actually very fast when healthy. Heck, he is fast when not fully healthy.

Default Re: Your bad/good recruiting takes

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    So if you go to the 2023 recruiting summary thread, there are links to all the previous recruiting summaries and, from there, see what you said about recruits when they gave their verbal.

I just checked out Luepke's thread from the 2018 summary: There were only 9 posts from the signing period. I remember thinking he looked like an animal in his highlights... but that might be a false memory because all I posted was "Yeah, a state champion wrestler... not quite as speedy [as Morlock], but one heck of an athlete."

I'm going to rate that take as bad. He is actually very fast when healthy. Heck, he is fast when not fully healthy.
    He's one of the best pure football players in the history of the program. He's Stark-like...

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    He's one of the best pure football players in the history of the program. He's Stark-like...
    He reminds me of Roehl except a longer stride. I'm not sure that there's much difference in top end speed.

I'm never going to gush too much over a verbal because I don't want to jinx anything - and now with NIL and a 365/24/7 free agency there's even less reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    He reminds me of Roehl except a longer stride. I'm not sure that there's much difference in top end speed.

I'm never going to gush too much over a verbal because I don't want to jinx anything - and now with NIL and a 365/24/7 free agency there's even less reason.
    All I know is I was thinking he was borderline for the NFL until that JMU game. Now, I think he is a clear draft pick and will have a solid NFL career. (Edit, position could hold him back for draft, but I stand by solid NFL career statement....)

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I had Purifoy in 2015 as the next Lamar Gordon. Didn’t I look silly.

Then there Lakes take that MWill would play 2 maybe 3 sports and be a basketball star for us. I did tell him he was full of Sh$$. He most certainly was, not surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    I had Purifoy in 2015 as the next Lamar Gordon. Didn’t I look silly.

Then there Lakes take that MWill would play 2 maybe 3 sports and be a basketball star for us. I did tell him he was full of Sh$$. He most certainly was, not surprising.
    Some of you may recall that I grade all of the recruits every year when they officially sign on signing day as well as grade their impact when they leave the program. I've had PLENTY of misses but if it makes Herd feel better I definitely whiffed on Purifoy too but to be fair he was hampered by injuries quite a bit too. Still call it a whiff though because I think he was healthy enough one of the years to try and forge his way into meaningful snaps if he was who I thought he was.
    Rixen

Ok so I figured I would go back awhile and post my biggest whiffs of each year.

2014:
    Darrius Shepherd WR (Considered him a depth signing. Legit special teams potential but just an average WR)

2015:
    Demaris Purifoy RB (Rated as All Conference as well as Bruuuuuuce. I was SO excited about this RB duo)
    Bryan Carlton DT(Rated as All Conference and was maybe high-end depth)
    Connor Hubbs DT/NT (Rated as All Conference and I feel like he rarely played. Similarly very excited about a Carlton/Hubbs interior DL combo)
    ***Interesting Note: Hendricks, Bridges, and Ty Brooks were all in this class at different positions. All ended up being fantastic at different positions. Recruit athletes!***

2016:
    This class was weird to find true whiffs in either direction. Cordell was amazing but had essentially no real film. I liked Van Dellen quite a bit but got kicked off the team early. Felix Dixon was promising but left early. Jabril was obviously amazing but 95% of his film was as a running QB. /shrug

2017:
    Jack Begley LB (Had him as an All Conference LB. Didn't see the field much)
    Jackson Hankey LB (Had him as depth. Nice work proving me to be an idiot Jackson. Now excuse me while I just swap the grades for Begley and Hankey)
    Logan McCormick DE (Had him as good depth as well. Not sure how high he ascended but he was reliable and quite good for much of his career)
    Lane Tucker DT (I don't think this is as much of a whiff as it looked a year ago but I had him as Hall of Fame caliber and I think his last 1.5 years proved to be borderline all conference)

2018:
    Saybein Clark RB (Rated as All Conference and never quite cracked into meaningful snaps)
    Hunter Luepke FB (Rated as a starter but he will likely go down as a Hall of Fame talent for us. To my credit I said "a great athlete but a shame he doesn't have height for TE")
    Joe Schreiber OL (Had him as "borderline HoF". He was a starter at best and then left the program)
    Samuel Moore DE (Rated as All Conference didn't make an early impact and left the program soon after)

2019:
    Luke Dwyer LB (All Conference rating but left already)
    ***Can't close the book on any other ratings yet as they still have time to shine....or not***
    Rixen

I was a lurker at the time so i dont have any receipts for my takes, but after looking at his tape and hearing he was a crazy good wrestler i knew that he was going to be a psycho in the best way. I was way more excited about him than i probably should have been, but i never saw this coming. i was hoping hed be a good gadget player in unique situations, i never expected him to cause defensive coordinators migranes during game prep.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Rixen View Post
    Some of you may recall that I grade all of the recruits every year when they officially sign on signing day as well as grade their impact when they leave the program. I've had PLENTY of misses but if it makes Herd feel better I definitely whiffed on Purifoy too but to be fair he was hampered by injuries quite a bit too. Still call it a whiff though because I think he was healthy enough one of the years to try and forge his way into meaningful snaps if he was who I thought he was.
    When I asked a former player, sitting in his dads seats next to me about Pure, he just said, wasn’t durable. Not everyone can handle the punishment.

Saybein Clark, who spurned offers from Iowa and others to accept NDSU's scholly, chose to leave the program and pursue a music career. Granted, he was buried on the depth chart. Anyone know how that's going for him?