Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Summit League Coaching Changes

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Summit League Coaching Changes

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I know I'm probably in the minority and I 100% get that trying to fund our basketball program like a mid major is virtually impossible but....If our indefinite plan is to pay 250k for a coach and fund the men's programs as a low major then I would honestly rather see us start a hockey program and stop pretending. The current expectations for DI basketball is to win a minimum of two games in Sioux Falls every March. There is $$$ in the FM area that want a DI Hockey program. Morehead almost got it it done a few years back. It would be fun to have another program on campus that would be capable of winning a national title. If/when football moves up, we will have zero sports capable of doing so.
    I understand your angle that winning a Hockey National Championship is more probable than Football or Basketball. That being said, in order to win a Hockey National Championship, NDSU would need to likely spend big money annually to be competitive. I believe St. Cloud spends roughly 2.5 million annually and UND is probably double that. Maybe there's more people willing to invest in an NDSU Hockey program than the current basketball program but if we increased our basketball spending to 4 or 5 million we would likely be able to do a lot more to generate interest and produce on the court. Hockey would take a lot of money to make it work and we would still be required to keep our basketball programs funded at a D1 level if we want to continue to play D1 football.

Default Re: Summit League Coaching Changes

Bad luck for Western Illinois

Eric Peterson Retweeted

Pete Thamel
    @PeteThamel

Sources: Southern Utah is finalizing a deal to make Western Illinois coach Rob Jeter the school's next head basketball coach. He's been a head coach at Western Illinois and Milwaukee for 14 seasons and is a Bo Ryan disciple.