Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2022 NDSU Football Team Depth Chart

Default Re: 2022 NDSU Football Team Depth Chart

Sure hope the staff plans on getting Luepke 12 to 15 carries per game AND gets targeted at least 6 to 8 times in the passing game...........or is this asking too much of the young man?

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Sure hope the staff plans on getting Luepke 12 to 15 carries per game AND gets targeted at least 6 to 8 times in the passing game...........or is this asking too much of the young man?
    I think 6-8 pass targets a game to Luepke is a very lofty goal in our offense. Just for reference we averaged roughly 17 pass attempts per game last year in 15 games. Some might argue that Quincy started half those games so of course we rarely passed it! That's true but in Easton's prolific (and recent) Junior and Senior years we averaged roughly 19 pass attempts per game. Then you add that we have an absolute logjam of RB talent and an NFL caliber TE that all need touches. Lastly, Luepke played in 13 games last year and had 9 receptions (I don't know how many targets) total.

To your defense I think the team/coaches truly realized how impactful Luepke is the second half of last year so I only see his role increasing a bit as long as he stays healthy. Also, with the lack of Watson dominating the passing targets I am sure some additional targets will find their way towards Hunter.

So let's say recent history repeats itself and we continue with the NDSU standard of ~20 pass attempts per game and Hunter sees an uptick in targets and receptions. Let's give him 3-4 targets resulting in 2 receptions a game for a season total of 30 receptions (compared to 9 last year). That 30 receptions would've made him the EASY #2 targets on the team last year and probably the most prolific receiving season by an RB/FB/TE in nearly a decade since Crockett in 2014. Not super likely but certainly possible with his talent. I would say 3-4 targets a game is the stretch goal for Luepke this year. Probably closer to 2-3 targets per game and he ends the year with 15-20 receptions in line with typical #1 TE numbers.

Sorry, kind of went deeper than expected there.
    Rixen

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Who is the #1 RB?

In 2021, it started off with Gonnella, then shifted to Kobe, then to Williams who was nowhere to be found to start the year, then ended with Luepke as the #1. I’m a little concerned about too much committee, and too few leaders.
    No clear #1 Id say. Williams/Luepke as 1A/1B with Johnson/Bussey/Gonnella all having roles and the occasional spike game.

Don't forget Marshall, Goldade and Kpeenu. Even short-term injuries will bring them some carries as well.
    Damn, I'm Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Rixen View Post
    I think 6-8 pass targets a game to Luepke is a very lofty goal in our offense. Just for reference we averaged roughly 17 pass attempts per game last year in 15 games. Some might argue that Quincy started half those games so of course we rarely passed it! That's true but in Easton's prolific (and recent) Junior and Senior years we averaged roughly 19 pass attempts per game. Then you add that we have an absolute logjam of RB talent and an NFL caliber TE that all need touches. Lastly, Luepke played in 13 games last year and had 9 receptions (I don't know how many targets) total.

To your defense I think the team/coaches truly realized how impactful Luepke is the second half of last year so I only see his role increasing a bit as long as he stays healthy. Also, with the lack of Watson dominating the passing targets I am sure some additional targets will find their way towards Hunter.

So let's say recent history repeats itself and we continue with the NDSU standard of ~20 pass attempts per game and Hunter sees an uptick in targets and receptions. Let's give him 3-4 targets resulting in 2 receptions a game for a season total of 30 receptions (compared to 9 last year). That 30 receptions would've made him the EASY #2 targets on the team last year and probably the most prolific receiving season by an RB/FB/TE in nearly a decade since Crockett in 2014. Not super likely but certainly possible with his talent. I would say 3-4 targets a game is the stretch goal for Luepke this year. Probably closer to 2-3 targets per game and he ends the year with 15-20 receptions in line with typical #1 TE numbers.

Sorry, kind of went deeper than expected there.
    No, No, No, thank you for your input.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisman View Post
    2022 NDSU FOOTBALL DEPTH CHART
    OFFENSE

QB Cam Miller #7 Junior 6-1 209
    Quincy Patterson #2 Senior 6-3 242
    Cole Payton #15 Redshirt Freshman 6-3 229
    Peter Anderson #16 Redshirt Freshman 6-1 206
    Nathan Hayes Freshman 6-2 192

LT Cody Mauch #70 Senior 6-6 303
    Hunter Poncius #76 Junior 6-8 305
    Ben Goldy Freshman 6-7 294
    Max Raider Freshman 6-6 250

LG Nash Jensen #66 Senior 6-4 327
    Luke LaCilento #71 Senior 6-2 298
    Devin Lockerby Freshman 6-4 298

C Jalen Sundell #72 Senior 6-5 296
    Brandon Westberg #77 Junior 6-4 290
    Braden Rucker #57 Sophomore 6-3 280
    Mateo Noreiga Freshman 6-4 278

RG Jake Kubas #63 Senior 6-4 303
    Grey Zabel #74 Sophomore 6-6 289
    Hayden Johnston #59 Redshirt Sophomore 6-2 277
    Kaden Chadwick Freshman 6-5 257

RT Mason Miller #73 Junior 6-6 293
    Jake Rock #64 Junior 6-7 300
    Sam Henry #68 Redshirt Freshman 6-6 275
    Trevor Flecko #75 Redshirt Freshman 6-4 297

this OL feels very undersized
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    this OL feels very undersized
    They have a couple of more months with Kramer and calorie intake before fall camp; these weights will increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis was a Bison View Post
    Don't forget Marshall, Goldade and Kpeenu. Even short-term injuries will bring them some carries as well.
    if Gonella comes back from baseball, dude is legit a top RB with Luepke & Kobe.
    we are loaded though
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

I am very excited to see how the RB room shakes out this year, and the offense as a whole really.

Luepke is the straw that stirs the drink this year. That probably seems like a "duh" hot take but I think it is more than just his running over people hot streak to end the year. His rare versatility of a great blocker, more than capable receiver, and his running talent might make him the only player in that mold on the team. He can play the RB/FB/TE role in all personnel sets without seeming like a placeholder or decoy to a defensive coordinator.

10 Personnel: No defensive coordinator would doubt Luepke could still get the hand off or dump pass in a spread WR/single back set
    12 & 22: Same in heavy TE sets. He has the hands and blocking skillset to be a threat as a TE alongside Gindorff.
    20/21/22: Obviously he can play in any heavy RB/FB sets as the lead blocker or the RB.

Not to mention he is obviously a very capable pass blocking option when not a designed target in the play.

I don't think we have anyone else like that on the roster.
    - TaMerik has the size and athleticism for everything but not sure I have seen him lead block much and for how many snaps he had in the offense I don't recall him being a pass target often. Not saying he can't do both but if he wasn't asked to often maybe that tells us enough for now?
    - Kobe has the hands to make him a dual threat with his receiving but not sure we worrying many with his run blocking or pass protection.
    - Bussey is electric but probably pretty similar to Kobe although I will say I am constantly surprised at how tough Bussey is.
    - Gonnella is a nice blend of everything: strength, hands, speed, agility. But I think he might be more of a jack of all trades and master of none. I mean that with more respect than it sounds, I promise.
    - The less proven guys we just don't know enough about yet. Marshall looked good in limited snaps but still early.

All that is to say in a year where we likely don't have an elite WR we need to get Luepke on the field as much as we can and change up his looks because he is a threat in all of them. That will play a big role in keeping DCs guessing and letting us flesh out the questionable WR room situation while also opening up the RB logjam a tiny bit. The coaches already love mind games with 2pt conversions, fakes, etc. Unleash the Luepke versatility this year.
    Rixen

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    I would save him for big games and playoffs