Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football Rules Survey

Default Re: NCAA Football Rules Survey

When I read that list of questions I get a vibe that someone wants to shrink the number of plays per game. What would motivate that? Concussions.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    When I read that list of questions I get a vibe that someone wants to shrink the number of plays per game. What would motivate that? Concussions.
    Two factors I believe at play. Games are getting longer so they want to shorten the game. The length though is largely determined by replay and media timeouts neither of which is going away. Starting the clock a little sooner on incomplete passes may reduce game time by 2-3 minutes but that's insignificant.

The other reason is injury related in general. The fewer plays the fewer injuries. Concussions are just one type of injury. Fake injuries could also be a part of it. If a team runs a hurry up and the clock stops like it does today that's more plays the defense is on the field and could lead to take injuries. I'm not sure if that's valid but I had a fan try to convince me if it once. There may be some logic to it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The other reason is injury related in general. The fewer plays the fewer injuries. Concussions are just one type of injury.
    I'm 100% with you on that point.

I got this off of AGS. Sounds like one of the proposals would do away with partial scholarships and scholarship caps. Various ways to interpret what the NCAA is proposing here, but it could mean an increase in FCS schollies. Would the HaveNots in every conference impose a scholly limit anyway? Doubt this is going anywhere but it's being talked about. And I'm not promising that I understand what they are really trying to do. OK? https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/2...mittee-changes

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Proposed rule changes from the committee were announced last week. These aren't final but are often approved by the oversight committee. No changes to affect timing. Kicked the fake injury issue down to the conferences. The biggest change is further limiting blocks below the waist. No more cut blocks on the edge or defenders cutting lead blockers. I believe RBs will still be able to cut blitzing LBs. They will also codify the fake slide will end the down and defensive holding will be an automatic first down regardless of whether a pass crosses the neutral zone. Our favorite they are now going to require the socks be pulled up to the bottom of the pants. This may have been done to get players to pull their knee pads down. If you want to cheat your pants up a little fine...then you have to wear longer socks. I'm curious to see how that is actually worded. Many players wear leg sleeves. Will they count as socks? All officials hate to be uniform police and they just added one more thing to worry about.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/3/4/m...cond-half.aspx
    Start penalizing them for pants too short. After awhile they will comply when its start effecting the games outcome.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    I got this off of AGS. Sounds like one of the proposals would do away with partial scholarships and scholarship caps. Various ways to interpret what the NCAA is proposing here, but it could mean an increase in FCS schollies. Would the HaveNots in every conference impose a scholly limit anyway? Doubt this is going anywhere but it's being talked about. And I'm not promising that I understand what they are really trying to do. OK? https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/2...mittee-changes
    Man, I really wish NDSU could know what is being discussed in this committee. I mean, our leadership is obviously so clueless and will be totally unprepared for any changes coming down the pipe.

Many rule changes are meant to diminish competitive advantage away from teams who are actually well-coached/have better athletes. But that’s ok, cuz everyone deserves a chance and a ribbon of some sort.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Many rule changes are meant to diminish competitive advantage away from teams who are actually well-coached/have better athletes. But that’s ok, cuz everyone deserves a chance and a ribbon of some sort.
    I would agree with you on most rule changes, but it does seem like allowing us more full schollies instead of partials would work in our favor. We could pretend to be FBS without actually being FBS. Of course, if our competition doesn't man up and follow us we just have even bigger blowouts.

My biggest fear really is the conferences will vote to restrict schollies and we'll be back to where are started, assuming NCAA approves this.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Interesting scenario.

The NCAA went to court some years back and spent millions of dollars on a case they knew they couldnt win. From that point forward bricks keep falling from the wall.
    Was this pure dumb fuckery by the two AA? Or considering the two A is run by the schools the high hats sacrificed the two A to get what they wanted? It took years but thats what the long con is all about.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    I would agree with you on most rule changes, but it does seem like allowing us more full schollies instead of partials would work in our favor. We could pretend to be FBS without actually being FBS. Of course, if our competition doesn't man up and follow us we just have even bigger blowouts.

My biggest fear really is the conferences will vote to restrict schollies and we'll be back to where are started, assuming NCAA approves this.
    Read that article yesterday, and was wondering the same thing... what would stop NDSU from going to 85 scholarships... then adding the additional coaching staff to equate to FBS -- get in front of it like they did with Full Cost of Attendance (FCOA) -- then the MVFC would have no choice but to allow it... then you are truly "FBS Ready" -- would also force the competition to do the same thing.

Could be interesting to see how this plays out