Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: President Cook Kansas

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: President Cook Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    There are also a number of them who discover NDSU’s existence through sports and get exposed to all the university offers. My daughter is attending NDSU next fall for nursing. She didn’t make that decision due to sports, but the fact that she has been on campus numerous times for sporting events damn well did have an impact in her feeling more comfortable making her choice. I would also state that if NDSU was still D2 or hadn’t had their success in football there is a very high likelihood that I wouldn’t have taken her to as many games because I as an alum wouldn’t have been as interested.
    Another very good way that sports can help recruit students. A school like NDSU is a little different there being one of the major universities in a state. When I was a kid going to an NDSU or UND game from western ND was kind of a big deal because it was the biggest deal in the state. But doing to a game at Indiana State or Northern Illinois or Jacksonville State is less of a big deal to the people of those states. I'm on the board for HOBY (a high school leadership program) and our seminar always used to be at Butler. They loved to host it because they would get 150 of the top students in the state on campus for 4 days having an amazing time. There were often students who never would have considered Butler but ended up going there because of that experience. That happens at universities big and small around the country.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

daddy daycare can't see the forest for the trees. Sure a G5 team might not move the needle as much as a P5 team, but that's not really the issue. The issue is moving the needle, period. We are in a geography where if we can gain an eye (hint: G5) over the other regional schools (und, SDSU, USD, uni, etc.), you've got to explore

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

plus NDSU would really stand out over these regional puds if we were FBS.
    we can use them as minor leagues & portal their top 3-4 players each.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    daddy daycare can't see the forest for the trees. Sure a G5 team might not move the needle as much as a P5 team, but that's not really the issue. The issue is moving the needle, period. We are in a geography where if we can gain an eye (hint: G5) over the other regional schools (und, SDSU, USD, uni, etc.), you've got to explore

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    It's called reality, it's it's OK to deal with that sometimes.

There are also a number of them who discover NDSU’s existence through sports and get exposed to all the university offers. My daughter is attending NDSU next fall for nursing. She didn’t make that decision due to sports, but the fact that she has been on campus numerous times for sporting events damn well did have an impact in her feeling more comfortable making her choice. I would also state that if NDSU was still D2 or hadn’t had their success in football there is a very high likelihood that I wouldn’t have taken her to as many games because I as an alum wouldn’t have been as interested.
    Same with my son. Sports never came up when making his decision...and it won't often either.

Another FBS thread. Lovely.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Sorry...Good luck to Cook.

Ok Back on Topic. When is his 1st day, we gotta get him prepped up & pumped up!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    Same with my son. Sports never came up when making his decision...and it won't often either.
    Point went completely over your head. She chose to go to NDSU for numerous reasons but one of them was the fact that sports brought her to campus multiple times over the past decade and it resulted in her feeling much more confident in what the school offered. If sports are a bigger draw, than more people are consistently on campus and interacting with the university. Does going FBS or moving to a more prominent conference guarantee that happens? No. However, if we are successful in the FBS or a more prominent conference it is highly likely that it draws more people on campus for sporting events of all kinds which is good for student recruitment. It's essentially why Universities spend millions of dollars on athletic departments. They use it as a marketing tool.

I attended the NYSP sports camps each summer for a few years and also went to some of the basketball games with my parents. My familiarity with the campus and love of Bison football were the deciding factors that made me choose NDSU over Moorhead State.

It's OK to not be OK.