Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: $586,651,144

Default Re: $586,651,144

Note 3 provides some information on the timing of promises to give which I think people were asking after as well.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

When I was still in the hedge fund biz both of the funds I worked for managed substantial assets for endowments. One of those founders was a Yale-y and so not surprisingly we managed significant assets for Yale. This is NOT low risk money but it does generally juice returns quite significantly. Typically a responsible manager would allocate <= 15% of assets in a tax advantaged fund to this type of vehicle or similar. As audit says, time horizon is infinite so short term risk is essentially a non-factor.

Edit: when my father passed we endowed an academic scholarship in his name focused on his former department. Principal will grow indefinitely. We continue to add to it annually and it will gain a substantial boost when I permanently discontinue polluting this forum. As long as NDSU exists that fund will continue to benefit students directly.
    Last edited by GreenfieldBison; 02-16-2022 at 01:32 AM.

Apparently some would like you to believe that it’s a disgrace that only 70 something percent of this money is going to academics. Good luck with that argument.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Apparently some would like you to believe that it’s a disgrace that only 70 something percent of this money is going to academics. Good luck with that argument.
    Joel Heitkamp or Rob Port? Or both?

I'd love to hear their takes on the REA and Hitler-loving hockey donors.

I just read Port's article. I figured he was way off with his numbers, so I immediately came here to see the truth. Audit and Tony, you should blast him with the facts.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    I just read Port's article. I figured he was way off with his numbers, so I immediately came here to see the truth. Audit and Tony, you should blast him with the facts.
    What would be the point? He's a mendacious fuckwad.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    There’s actually nothing wrong with his facts. My issues are with his presentation and his “conclusions”. I hesitate to call them that because it seems fairly obvious that the column was reverse engineered to “support” what he already thinks. Not an uncommon occurrence, just especially poorly targeted and executed in this instance, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Mendacious fuckwad = Port. That's fact #1... keep going.

There’s actually nothing wrong with his facts. My issues are with his presentation and his “conclusions”. I hesitate to call them that because it seems fairly obvious that the column was reverse engineered to “support” what he already thinks. Not an uncommon occurrence, just especially poorly targeted and executed in this instance, I think.
    Agreed. Cherry picking stats that support his anti-college athletics viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Guessing you have chosen those terms carefully...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...ish/mendacious
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fuckwad