Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Stony Brook, Save Athletic Program.

Default Re: Fire Stony Brook, Save Athletic Program.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I would love to go to the Mountain West but Matt Larson isn't the guy to blame for that not happening. He's done everything he can for being in the FCS. His fundraising and facilities upgrades smoke Gene Taylor. Obviously GT set the stage for him but he has outperformed him as the AD. Matt even got beer in the SHAC. Now as far as basketball goes, I think the responsibility should fall on the basketball coaches.

Personally I think the attendance drop has more to do with the metal detectors and the Fargodome getting worse. Covid didn't help. Lack of good home games is a problem, but we would be favored vs every FCS team in the nation, including Montana State in non conference.

Where I think Matt Larson has failed the most is in fan engagement. Little details have really slipped.
    You think metal detectors are the cause of FB attendance drop...lol wow

I'm thinking its asking people to pay $40/Ticket plus dues for a 55-0 blowout of Non scholarship teams.

Ticket prices rise, dues rise, cost of concessions rise, competition falls, lack of anything new in the GameDay experience, the complete and total Nazi like control of something as simple as entering a tailgate parking lot, grown adults responsible enough to donate tons of money yet somehow not trustworthy enough to have a fucking beer during the game.

Thats the problem, not fucking metal detectors
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

BigLakeBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    You think metal detectors are the cause of FB attendance drop...lol wow

I'm thinking its asking people to pay $40/Ticket plus dues for a 55-0 blowout of Non scholarship teams.

Ticket prices rise, dues rise, cost of concessions rise, competition falls, lack of anything new in the GameDay experience, the complete and total Nazi like control of something as simple as entering a tailgate parking lot, grown adults responsible enough to donate tons of money yet somehow not trustworthy enough to have a fucking beer during the game.

Thats the problem, not fucking metal detectors
    I would also add the complete lack of public communication of your vision for the Athletic Department to the very people that you are asking to fund it. I know that not all details can be shared but I don't think that the vision is being sold strong enough publicly. ML is responsible for that. He has to spearhead that sales pitch to the current and potential fanbase. Where are we going with the football program? Where are we going with the men's and women's basketball programs? What is a realistic timeline for that vision? Those are all things that I think are necessities to share. Right now I have no idea what the future goals of the football program are other than to continue to win FCS titles and with the defections from FCS those don't seem near as significant as they used to be. What other things is the program going to strive for in the future to keep fans engaged. The men's basketball program is now locked in with our current coach until 2024-2025. Barring a scandal they are not going to fire DR. What about that plan is going to energize the fanbase to get more fans involved? Unless DR can pull a rabbit out of his hat and bring in a talent or two like Ben Woodside, Nate Wolters, Mike Daum what's going to change to get more people interested? At the low-major/mid-major level those types of players are very, very rare. It's easier to build a program on systems and playing style and developing players over four years versus trying to win the lottery on one or two players. Hell, our football program is the epitome of this. Sure we have some outstanding players but it is much more about the system than it is about individuals. I just don't see that with DR's current or past teams. Matt Larsen has done a good job of fundraising for some facility improvements but how does that fit into the larger vision for the athletic department. There are some serious concerns that many fans of NDSU are raising and Matt Larsen needs to address them ASAP or he should be relieved of his duties. There are funding sources that NDSU has that many other mid-major schools would love to have but don't. Yet the vision on how we capitalize on those is non-existent publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    I would also add the complete lack of public communication of your vision for the Athletic Department to the very people that you are asking to fund it. I know that not all details can be shared but I don't think that the vision is being sold strong enough publicly. ML is responsible for that. He has to spearhead that sales pitch to the current and potential fanbase. Where are we going with the football program? Where are we going with the men's and women's basketball programs? What is a realistic timeline for that vision? Those are all things that I think are necessities to share. Right now I have no idea what the future goals of the football program are other than to continue to win FCS titles and with the defections from FCS those don't seem near as significant as they used to be. What other things is the program going to strive for in the future to keep fans engaged. The men's basketball program is now locked in with our current coach until 2024-2025. Barring a scandal they are not going to fire DR. What about that plan is going to energize the fanbase to get more fans involved? Unless DR can pull a rabbit out of his hat and bring in a talent or two like Ben Woodside, Nate Wolters, Mike Daum what's going to change to get more people interested? At the low-major/mid-major level those types of players are very, very rare. It's easier to build a program on systems and playing style and developing players over four years versus trying to win the lottery on one or two players. Hell, our football program is the epitome of this. Sure we have some outstanding players but it is much more about the system than it is about individuals. I just don't see that with DR's current or past teams. Matt Larsen has done a good job of fundraising for some facility improvements but how does that fit into the larger vision for the athletic department. There are some serious concerns that many fans of NDSU are raising and Matt Larsen needs to address them ASAP or he should be relieved of his duties. There are funding sources that NDSU has that many other mid-major schools would love to have but don't. Yet the vision on how we capitalize on those is non-existent publicly.
    100% this. The only message the athletic department is sending is that they are happy with the status quo. Since when has that been the standard for ANY part of NDSU athletics?

BigLakeBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    100% this. The only message the athletic department is sending is that they are happy with the status quo. Since when has that been the standard for ANY part of NDSU athletics?
    That is one of my biggest frustrations personally. NDSU has always strived to out punch it's weight class both athletically and also academically in some areas. Hence the R1 designation for research. I just don't like the message that is conveyed when you don't set the bar higher and dream big. I understand you have to be realistic but you also can't be afraid to take risks to achieve something greater than the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Forever in basketball
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Forever in basketball
    me and unbison disagree on alot.. i mean ALOT but this is where i'm LockStep with him. NDSU with Stony Brook AD & 1 of these shitty podunk presidents will be stuck in FCS Forever with NDSU football.

therefore the ONLY way this athletic dept can grow and excel is HIGH LEVEL MID MAJOR BASKETBALL!!!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

I'm enjoying a little satisfaction knowing that while I was bitching about Matt Larson and his covid season shit he was doing behind closed door contract extensions. What a tool.

Lardsin must go!

So Matt either A) turned down the CUSA Football only offer (which is fuckng stupid)
    or
    B) denies he knows anything about it (which is a LIE)

C) he did the Richman extension in dark of night.

D) have you NOT seen enough of the Stony ?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

BRAWK!!!

tHeSkYiSfAlLiNg... tHeSkYiSfAlLiNg....

BRAWK!!!
    Damn, I'm Good!

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    So Matt either A)turned down the CUSA Football only offer (which is fuckng stupid)
    or
    B) denies he knows anything about it (which is a LIE)

C) he did the Richman extension in dark of night.

D) have you NOT seen enough of the Stony ?
    Thank the gods if he said no to CUSA.

That conference is a blazing dumpster fire.
    Rumor is Tarleton State and SFA might be on deck to join.

Do you really want to go from MVFC to Southland 2.0 with games shown on Flo Sports and Facebook?