Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Championship location- if Frisco wasnt an option

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Championship location- if Frisco wasnt an option

Quote Originally Posted by BISONBRI53 View Post
    And football programs!
    Yeah, and now back to how great our grass is.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    Obviously we all love what Frisco has become, specifically for Bison fans....

But as we are officially in the offseason, its fun to think about What-Ifs.

If for some reason Frisco wasnt an option, where would you want the natty to be? And for the sake of conversation, lets say it cant be in the dallas area, so not at SMU or TCU or whatever.

3 ideas come to my mind right away:
    1. Orlando - play at the Orlando FC stadium, its pretty damn nice. Nicer than Toyota IMO
    2. Austin TX- play at the Austin FC stadium- this ones even newer and nicer than Orlando stadium
    3. Vegas- maybe play at UNLV's old stadium?

I've been to games in Vegas and Orlando this year.

If Vegas, why not go with UNLV's new stadium (Allegiant, where the Raiders play)? That is an incredible facility. Take the tour, if only to visit the Raiderette's locker room. Seriously, the stadium is just off the strip. Just walk across the interstate on a bridge that runs between Mandalay Bay and the stadium. It was a sea of red as Iowa State brought 30,000 fans to a UNLV game in September. No place for tailgating, but who drives or wants to be in a parking lot in Vegas anyway.

The Orlando soccer stadium isn't in a great spot. It is close to downtown, but who goes to Orlando and wants to stay downtown? I've held big tailgates in Orlando for bowl games in 2019 and 2021, but at the Camping World Stadium, just a bit west of the soccer stadium. There isn't anything within walking distance of either stadium, but CWS has good nearby parking lots. I paid $80 to $100 each for parking passes that they didn't even scan! Contact Priceless BBQ by Ray (a trailer and smokers just a block north of the stadium). He takes great care of us.

The only problem with both of these towns is that even when a fan base like Iowa State's brings 30,000 to town, it doesn't move the needle much. Vegas and Orlando are just dominated by other visitors all the time. It is in places like Frisco or Memphis where you really make a dent in town. Memphis really cares about the Liberty Bowl. And everybody in town seems to be aware of the game. In Vegas or Orlando, none of the locals seem to know that the game is in town.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    My vote would be somewhere in FL or CA or Vegas. Just more family fun things to do in those areas that I think would justify a larger venue host. I know my family would be FAR more likely to travel with me and attend the game if there was a family vacation tied in there as well, and I know I'm not the only parent who's traveled to these games without their spouse/kids.
    Went to the Orange Bowl in Miami one year. It was 32 at kickoff. Even the Keys were cold. Had to wear a jacket in the Keys. Who woulda thought.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    I think frisco works because it is a suburb. It keeps us reasonably close together rather than spread out across a city like Dallas.
    Yes, we spill over into other places, but it’s nice going into a place with Bison fans.
    Surely, there are other communities that fit this profile. And are warmer.

Bingo. Frisco is pretty special. I've not been to one of your games, but I know the area. Having fans hanging out in a somewhat defined area really makes a difference. Talk to anyone from Iowa State and they will tell you how fun it was to take over the River Walk area of San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl (with a short walk to the stadium). It was awesome. Yet, there is something very special about taking over a real town and local establishments in places like Frisco or Memphis.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'll keep putting this occasionally so hopefully everyone realizes it. The NCAA can only choose between cities that submit bids. Cities like Orlando, New Orleans, Phoenix, and San Diego are unlikely to submit bids to host this game especially in large NFL or major college stadiums. Mid major cities or suburbs are much more likely to consider it. San Antonio could be a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nashville
    Don’t need Ubers from one bar to the next
    Bachelorette capital of the world, so like a Twin Peaks/Tight Ends/Wild Pitch no matter where you go
    Still have legit BBQ
    Can listen to live versions and variations of Thunderstruck
    You can still TopGolf
    “Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't” - Jerry Rice

An obvious choice here would be Fargo. It would have the right size facility, for now. The hotels in town should be able to handle 20k people. There is the civic center or shac for pep rally events. Turn Broadway into street fair like environment with pop-up drinking and live entertainment. Lots of heaters.

When NDSU goes fbs, the city could still host this. If a larger stadium was built, it isn't like locals wouldn't go to a championship football game and film the stadium.

The major drawbacks would be weather and NDSU fans don't get their mid winter vacation to balmy North Texas. I can't say locals wouldn't let their hair down because I don't think location matters when it comes to caring what anyone thinks with North Dakotans and alcohol.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    An obvious choice here would be Fargo. It would have the right size facility, for now. The hotels in town should be able to handle 20k people. There is the civic center or shac for pep rally events. Turn Broadway into street fair like environment with pop-up drinking and live entertainment. Lots of heaters.

When NDSU goes fbs, the city could still host this. If a larger stadium was built, it isn't like locals wouldn't go to a championship football game and film the stadium.

The major drawbacks would be weather and NDSU fans don't get their mid winter vacation to balmy North Texas. I can't say locals wouldn't let their hair down because I don't think location matters when it comes to caring what anyone thinks with North Dakotans and alcohol.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Obviously.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Went to the Orange Bowl in Miami one year. It was 32 at kickoff. Even the Keys were cold. Had to wear a jacket in the Keys. Who woulda thought.
    True, I've been to Vegas in the winter a couple times and saw fountains at a smaller hotel frozen solid on one visit. This was in January 2009. Typically though, the weather in those states is very nice however.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I vote Vegas for a variety of reasons.

Most of them degenerate.
    lol! The honesty is refreshing here.