Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Championship location- if Frisco wasnt an option

Default Re: Championship location- if Frisco wasnt an option

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Field type aside, I would certainly love to see a change in venue. I've never liked Frisco as a city. It really doesn't have an identity or any charm to speak of. Like every other suburb in the US, it just doesn't have any "there" there. I'm with Audit in that I'm primarily in Frisco for the game itself and that's generally good enough for me but it would be nice if the game was in a place that had more substance and character. Personally, I don't give one shit about going to Twin Peaks or those places. I go because all you are there. Dallas-Fort Worth is just not a very nice area. You have to take freeways everywhere and generally the weather really isn't reliably nice in early January anyway. Perhaps the only real thing that it has going for it is its more central US location that allows many of its most recent participant fan bases to drive to the game.

I love the idea of getting the game to somewhere either reliably warmer in January or in a city with an indoor stadium and some moxy. Minneapolis would fit that description, as would New Orleans, Austin (at least a bit warmer and a very cool town), San Antonio, Tuscon (maybe), Vegas, Seattle (retractable roof), or San Diego if they still have a stadium, not sure.

Note: I know this isn't going to happen.
    New SDSU stadium going in where the Chargers used to play.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

I think a much larger stadium would be a mistake. It should stay in a venue under 30k seats imo. I don't care how rabid your fanbase is something just sucks about being in a half or 2/3 full stadium even with 25k fans. I assume going indoors would almost certainly mean going to 50k+ stadium size. No thanks.

for me ideally it could still be outdoors but like Orygun said someplace with reliably better weather in January.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I think a much larger stadium would be a mistake. It should stay in a venue under 30k seats imo. I don't care how rabid your fanbase is something just sucks about being in a half or 2/3 full stadium even with 25k fans. I assume going indoors would almost certainly mean going to 50k+ stadium size. No thanks.

for me ideally it could still be outdoors but like Orygun said someplace with reliably better weather in January.
    The Seattle Sounders play in the same stadium that the Seahawks play but with only 1/2 to 2/3 of the fans. They simply block off the upper decks, put some large tarp advertising over the portion of the stands that they are not using and it keeps the facility feeling very nice for games...even though it is still fucking soccer. It IS possible to use a larger stadium with some basic common sense and management.
    Insert something clever here...

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    The Seattle Sounders play in the same stadium that the Seahawks play but with only 1/2 to 2/3 of the fans. They simply block off the upper decks, put some large tarp advertising over the portion of the stands that they are not using and it keeps the facility feeling very nice for games...even though it is still fucking soccer. It IS possible to use a larger stadium with some basic common sense and management.
    NCAA we are dealing with here...
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

GOB1SON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If Frisco were 150 miles south, it would absolutely perfect. Great stadium (yeah the grass turf isn't great, but 2 out of 9 times ain't bad), great locals, bars love NDSU, and I like how familiar things are after all these years.

I just wish it would be sunny and 75 occasionally. 9 years and I think there has been 1 time I've taken off my coat and soaked up some sun (and I actually got a sunburn that day).
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft-living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life...

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BISONBRI53 View Post
    NCAA we are dealing with here...
    In order for this to happen the Seattle Sports Authority (or whatever group they have to bid on events) would have to be interested in investing in an event like this and submit a bid. I don't see any major city with a 60k+ stadium being interested in submitting a bid for an event that MAY get 20-25k IF NDSU or Montana makes it. Or they may get 10k.

This isn't a situation where the NCAA decides where they want to go and rents a stadium and just shows up. They could reach out to a city like Seattle and ask them to put together a bid, but Seattle would still need to be interested.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Frisco has the perfect stadium for this game. Just improve the field.

DFW is perfectly situated to support the game with hotels, restaurants, and bars.

Frisco is perfectly located.

Yep... the fan base is getting older. It should be a big area of concern that the student body doesn't attend the games. Are people in their 20s and 30s buying in? Not sure about that.
    I will have to disagree with Frisco. A FCS rotation every year from Orlando, to Vegas, to San diego where there is warmer weather 80% chance of sunshine not ND 40's or maybe 50 if your lucky in Frisco. All the info is there for another city to ask to take the game, let more fans come for more seating, and nicer weather....and better field. Frisco played 2 prior bowl games on this field in the last 2 weeks so they don't care about the FCS title game, they just want the ND Bison Nation $$$$, time to move on..... But that will take the FCS commissioner, Conference Commissioners and NDSU AD to step up and ask for a better venue, or buy out the bid in Frisco to a better location in my opinion. I heard from fans down there and it was not well run, poor support around the stadium by local policing parking, crowd control, etc...waiting in lines was terrible, then throw in the colder weather then fans would want doesn't help either. Time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I've always thought Tulane's stadium would make a decent site...

That looks very nice. But whats the weather like in January? A bit better then North Texas I would think right, Louisiana correct?

Providence Park in Portland. Weather would be shitty, but I could attend the game every year and sit in the MAC balcony.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Carl View Post
    Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ. Lots of hotel options, probably more spread out however. Better weather, school @ASU likely not in session yet.

Attachment 9858
    Perfect, plus retired ND/MN/SD people living down here would be another home game of Bison Nation!