Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Championship location- if Frisco wasnt an option

Default Re: Championship location- if Frisco wasnt an option

Don't forget about health concerns with the rubber pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    As well as Boston and Atlanta as they share the stadium with a nfl team
    Soccer has seen a 45% increase in acl injuries playing on turf

Here is something from the nflpa
    players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass.

https://nflpa.com/posts/only-natural...-playing-field
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I'm not sure if the Bermuda turf at Frisco is the same as the Bermuda turf I've worked on but it is a very nice surface. Smooth like turf but softer and better on the knees. I believe several NFL teams use a similar turf. Both get slippery when wet.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah that turf was fine as it has always been save for the year we played Towson.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Yeah that turf was fine as it has always been save for the year we played Towson.
    One of the D3 schools I work at used to be the Colts training camp facility so the Colts installed the Bermuda turf. It was amazing. I thought it was artificial when I first walked on it until I saw a small divot. That was always my favorite field. It was very expensive to maintain though so they did replace it a couple years ago with a very nice version of an artificial turf.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I'm not sure if the Bermuda turf at Frisco is the same as the Bermuda turf I've worked on but it is a very nice surface. Smooth like turf but softer and better on the knees. I believe several NFL teams use a similar turf. Both get slippery when wet.

I have some friends that I grew up playing soccer with and they went on and played in college. They said the first time they played on Bermuda was an eye opener. The game was so much faster, which would have been a disaster for a fat ass like me.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    I have some friends that I grew up playing soccer with and they went on and played in college. They said the first time they played on Bermuda was an eye opener. The game was so much faster, which would have been a disaster for a fat ass like me.
    https://www.fcdallas.com/news/toyota...-bermuda-grass

Sounds like it's rye grass in the colder months.

Doesn't Iowa State have the gold standard for natural grass football fields?
    It's OK to not be OK.

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Doesn't Iowa State have the gold standard for natural grass football fields?
    And football programs!
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post

It is most common to overseed bermuda grass with rye during cooler months, for example at this venue: https://turfmate.com.au/the-grass-at-augusta-national/

DakotaOkie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post

Bernuda goes dormant (and brown) when soil temperatures go below 65F. Although there was some bermuda grass leaves still a bit green in the boulevards near the stadium, that only indicates how warm it had been in the weeks leading up to the game. Any solid patches of green lawn you see in Dallas area in the winter months are overseeded rye grass. Even Augusta National is overseeded rye for the Masters Tournament.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Field type aside, I would certainly love to see a change in venue. I've never liked Frisco as a city. It really doesn't have an identity or any charm to speak of. Like every other suburb in the US, it just doesn't have any "there" there. I'm with Audit in that I'm primarily in Frisco for the game itself and that's generally good enough for me but it would be nice if the game was in a place that had more substance and character. Personally, I don't give one shit about going to Twin Peaks or those places. I go because all you are there. Dallas-Fort Worth is just not a very nice area. You have to take freeways everywhere and generally the weather really isn't reliably nice in early January anyway. Perhaps the only real thing that it has going for it is its more central US location that allows many of its most recent participant fan bases to drive to the game.

I love the idea of getting the game to somewhere either reliably warmer in January or in a city with an indoor stadium and some moxy. Minneapolis would fit that description, as would New Orleans, Austin (at least a bit warmer and a very cool town), San Antonio, Tuscon (maybe), Vegas, Seattle (retractable roof), or San Diego if they still have a stadium, not sure.

Note: I know this isn't going to happen.
    Insert something clever here...