Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: MSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: MSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Can somebody explain to me - and possible show a couple of scree shots of what constitutes an illegal man downfield is? The couple of plays I am talking about are the run pass options that Montana State ran where the QB were faking run and then passed before getting the line of scrimmage. What are the rules for lineman being downfield/passed the line of scrimmage on those plays?

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by blackdiamond2 View Post
    Can somebody explain to me - and possible show a couple of scree shots of what constitutes an illegal man downfield is? The couple of plays I am talking about are the run pass options that Montana State ran where the QB were faking run and then passed before getting the line of scrimmage. What are the rules for lineman being downfield/passed the line of scrimmage on those plays?
    It is either 1 or 3 yards, can't remember. There are 5 guys (the linemen) ineligible to move beyond that line. Sometimes tight ends can't either, based on if they're covered up by a receiver or not.
    Insert something clever here...

Just be like sdsu and send your whole oline downfield on a screen pass. FCS officials never call it.

The Montana state ones yesterday though I believe we're fairly called. Oline was just across the line of scrimmage which is legal

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    It's bordering on insane and a great story. So insane that Kolpack wrote a book prematurely. When he wrote his 1st, we were only on #5

Since 2011, we've done it all. 9 national championships in 11 years. Wins over a top 10 Iowa, K State, etc. 2 first round QBs. Numerous impactful NFL Players. It was impressive when we were the first in history to three peat.
    Appalachian State would have something to say about that

But 4-peat, yes!

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    It is either 1 or 3 yards, can't remember. There are 5 guys (the linemen) ineligible to move beyond that line. Sometimes tight ends can't either, based on if they're covered up by a receiver or not.
    3 yards in college, 1 yard in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by bison22 View Post
    When are we getting a Netflix Special or ESPN 30 for 30?
    Not until this is over and it will never be over!!!!
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
    Appalachian State would have something to say about that

But 4-peat, yes!
    Whoops meant 4 peat. That wasn't even a thing until we came along. 5 peat is a new language

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    3 yards in college, 1 yard in the NFL.
    This is correct. At it's the location at the time or before the pass is released. It's not uncommon for a lineman to be 3 yards when pass is released by 5-7 yards when the pass is caught and coaches to scream for a foul. In NCAA if the pass is touched in or behind the neutral zone then there can be no foul for ineligible downfield no matter how far they are. Not sure about the NFL rule on that. So if the linemen were downfield on a screen pass (assuming caught behind NZ) then it was correctly not flagged.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Hope you are ready for more of it. It's not going to get any better.
    Please no. At this point being an independent in the fbs might be more entertaining for the fans.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUBowler View Post
    And the semis were great.

On the flipside how were the fbs semis? Since anecdotal evidence matters and all that…
    The team that made the semis great is gone.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21