Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MVFC News

Default MVFC News

With Murray State joining the Missouri Valley Conference, they are pursuing the MVFC for football. Will it happen? The conference would then be 12 teams. Could divide into an east/west.

West
    1 NDSU
    2 SDSU
    3 UND
    4 USD
    5 UNI
    6 Missouri St

East
    1 Youngstown St
    2 WIU
    3 Indiana st
    4 Murray St
    5 Illinois St
    6 Southern Illinois

Default Re: MVFC News

Can we just say no?

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    With Murray State joining the Missouri Valley Conference, they are pursuing the MVFC for football. Will it happen? The conference would then be 12 teams. Could divide into an east/west.

West
    1 NDSU
    2 SDSU
    3 UND
    4 USD
    5 UNI
    6 Missouri St

East
    1 Youngstown St
    2 WIU
    3 Indiana st
    4 Murray St
    5 Illinois St
    6 Southern Illinois
    The MVFC East makes the B1G West look like the the SEC West. The East champion would be like what, the 5th best team in the MVFC?

Having divisions to outline scheduling, fine, but Divisions serve no other purpose. For that reason, I am wholly against divisions. Just ID scheduling groups without divisions IMO. There are no conference championship games, so I see no purpose other than scheduling. If the FBS moves to a larger playoff, you’ll even see conf championship games get cut at the FBS level. You have to eliminate to keep the number of games played in check, with 16 max.

I say no divisions, just scheduling rules. So for NDSU, rules would be . .

Play each year: usd, und, SDSU, UNI, Mo State (5)
    Play 3 each year rotating: SIU, Il state, WIU, Murray, YsU, InSt (3)

It’s what the Big sky has been doing for years.
    Last edited by Herd; 01-07-2022 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    The MVFC East makes the B1G West look like the the SEC West. The East champion would be like what, the 5th best team in the MVFC?

Having divisions to outline scheduling, fine, but Divisions serve no other purpose. For that reason, I am wholly against divisions. Just ID scheduling groups without divisions IMO.
    Starting to get into Big Fluffy territory where a UND can win the conference by playing no one worth a shit. In this case it would be SIU or ISUr. No thanks.

I want them for basketball!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Looks like Football will likely stay in the OVC.. https://twitter.com/OVCSports/status...96803007479808

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    Looks like Football will likely stay in the OVC.. https://twitter.com/OVCSports/status...96803007479808
    Release from Murray says they have applied to and talking with the MVFC.

Throughout the process, Murray State officials have prioritized stable and vibrant competitive homes for all fifteen of its sports programs in order to continue its long history of success in Racer Athletics. Given the MVC's sports portfolio does not include football and rifle, Murray State has proactively pursued – in a collective and parallel track – league membership for football and rifle and are excited about the future. Upon unanimous support from the Missouri Valley Football Conference (MVFC) board of presidents – a separate stand-alone, football-only conference – Murray State and MVFC officials are actively engaged in the membership process, which officially began immediately upon receipt of the MVC invitation. The nationally ranked (currently 6th) Murray State rifle program will continue to compete in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksfan29! View Post

Throughout the process, Murray State officials have prioritized stable and vibrant competitive homes for all fifteen of its sports programs in order to continue its long history of success in Racer Athletics. Given the MVC's sports portfolio does not include football and rifle, Murray State has proactively pursued – in a collective and parallel track – league membership for football and rifle and are excited about the future. Upon unanimous support from the Missouri Valley Football Conference (MVFC) board of presidents – a separate stand-alone, football-only conference – Murray State and MVFC officials are actively engaged in the membership process, which officially began immediately upon receipt of the MVC invitation. The nationally ranked (currently 6th) Murray State rifle program will continue to compete in the Ohio Valley Conference.
    This would be another line item for moving the hell out of the FCS.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    I want them for basketball!!
    I know you hate FCS, so I'm curious your thoughts on this... because this Divisional setup is obviously a non-starter, right? I know most, including me, are against the Summit adding football (unless by some miracle the MVC football schools joined as affiliates or full members).

SO... here is the question.. Assuming NDSU doesn't currently have a path to FBS, and Divisions were implemented, as theorized above... could it be a blessing in disguise? Bear with me.... the Summit schools could just say screw it, and start football, but with the intention of keeping the football membership extremely low - say 6-7 members, which would thereby allow NDSU more scheduling flexibility in the non conference. So instead of playing an extra conference away game, you can play more FBS games or schedule more intriguing home and homes with more intriguing fcs schools, like jackson state for example. NDSU could also be able to accept low ball FBS offers that it is probably forced to decline currently, as you wouldn't be losing a home game for it, and you would now be able to play more FBS games again. And if possible, try to get a couple FBS games in each year. There's literally zero benefit for NDSU to be in a FCS conference that is any larger than required, or needed for stability purposes, right? If you want to continue playing MVC teams, you would still be able to schedule home and homes because you would have more open dates on the schedule which would otherwise be conf away games that you get nothing for anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksfan29! View Post

DIDN'T SEE THAT! Being optimistic, it looks to me like the OVC is being proactive... giving the MVFC an out by letting them know that Murray has a landing spot for football if the MVFC declines. I hope.