Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knee Injuries... Especially ACL

Default Knee Injuries... Especially ACL

I watch a lot of football.

I'm increasingly struck by the number of serious knee injuries. ACL tears are common.

I'm curious. How many of you have had an ACL (or other) knee injury?

And if so... has it had a lingering effect in your life... such as mobility issues? And if you're having problems... would you do it all over again?

Seems like there's a serious knee injury in almost every game that I watch.

Call me 'concerned.'

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Default Re: Knee Injuries... Especially ACL

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post

I'm increasingly struck by the number of serious knee injuries. ACL tears are common.

And if so... has it had a lingering effect in your life... such as mobility issues? And if you're having problems... would you do it all over again?

Call me 'concerned.'
    I tore my acl and mcl in 1999. Had it scoped. That's my good knee now. My other one hurts like hell. I'm pretty sure I have something torn in that one too. In my opinion it's not the surgery but the rehab that makes or breaks you and the reason I've never had the other knee fixed. I'm bow legged or have knees that hyper extend. That probably contributed to the tears. When I was rehabbing I got really nervous because I couldn't straighten my surgery knee like my non surgery knee. I was scared and had heard horror stories of bad rehabbing and knee trouble. So I worked extra hard on the rehab. When I did go back to the doctor he laughed. Said he tightened things up and my surgery knee was straight. My non surgery knee was actually going past straight. Had a friend blow out his knee fucking around at a new year's eve shop party in his early 30's. He didn't rehab serious. He has problems with that knee still. There's also a mental aspect to it. Tore mine as a junior in high school and my senior year was more about learning to trust my knee more then anything. Actually got offered a football scholarship after a recruiter watched me play baseball spring of my senior year. Said he watched me play football that previous fall and I didn't stand out. The scholarship was for a different position then I played at 9 man. I didn't do it. Got mono in August of freshman year of college anyway that's an entirely different story bro. Didn't even go to the college the scholarship was for. The way my non surgery knee feels at 38 I probably wasn't made for college athletics anyway. Had some glory playing intermural b ball and softball eh. 30 seconds of fame in the bsa wrestling room too.

Lardsin must go!

My only injury to my knees occurred 10 years ago while I was officiating a high school basketball game.......had to stop and turn quickly, (imagine that) and in the process, tore a percentage of my meniscus cartilage in my left knee. This happened when I was 59 yrs old; had it repaired (scoped); it hasn't given me any probs since and, 10 years later, I'm still officiating basketball, football, and umpiring baseball. There was not much of rehab involved, just a week of R and R, and I was back on the court. Just a side note: next Tuesday night, I will be refereeing with 2 other gentlemen in Minnesota and I will be the youngest of the 3.......yes, that's right. John is 77 and Jay is 70, I'm 69. .....averages out to 73..........what's wrong with this picture? Some place along the line, we've lost a whole generation of would-be officials........and it will only get worse.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I dislocated my knee cap 5 times from middle school to college eh no major tearing identified. I sprained the same knee in 2014. At 51 I still don't have any major issues with that knee but I expect I eventually will.

I have a good friend who played OL in the NFL for about 10 years. I don't know neither he ever had any major one injuries during his career but the constant pounding caused him to need a double knee replacement last month. He's now recovering but will likely need another one later in life because they don't last forever.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I broke my tibia and tore a ligament in my knee when I was 12 years old. Can't remember if it was the ACL or MCL but had to have surgery and wired it back together. Only problem seems to be a bit more arthritis in that knee after 36 years.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Tore my ACL in a non-contact injury playing basketball 15 years ago at age 35. Dr. asked if I wanted to go through the surgery and rehab at my “age”. I elected to do it and am really happy I did. No lingering issues, knee is as good as or better than new. If you have the surgery, or any other similar procedure, do the rehab work, all of it!! Regaining range of motion is critical to not having any lingering affects.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I dislocated my knee cap 5 times from middle school to college eh no major tearing identified. I sprained the same knee in 2014. At 51 I still don't have any major issues with that knee but I expect I eventually will.

I have a good friend who played OL in the NFL for about 10 years. I don't know neither he ever had any major one injuries during his career but the constant pounding caused him to need a double knee replacement last month. He's now recovering but will likely need another one later in life because they don't last forever.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    It never hurts while I'm actually tagging the calves eh but there's days I can hardly walk from the calving barn back to the house after. I never let one get by me. Laugh when the city boys come out and think they're a matador Ole and let it by. Not this guy eh.

Lardsin must go!

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post

Call me 'concerned.'
    Along with that Achilles tears are happening way more frequently as well.

Go read the ESPN story called TRAVEL Bb is killing our kids. They talk specifically about how serious and common of a problem this is compared to 30 years ago. New turf was supposed to help in football and it has but all the acl tears now are non contact compared to most being contact related in the 80s.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Had a similar experience as southcliffbison with my right knee. Was out for a run back when I was 57 and sped up going downhill to beat a car to an intersection. Tore the meniscus in my right knee. I also had that scoped and executed the rehab religiously such as it was. Doesn't seem like it was very much at this point. Frozen shoulder rehab was more involved.

Cool thing about the knee scope was that I opted for the spinal and then got to watch the procedure on the video screen. Had a great discussion with the nurses about TX BBQ while the docs performed the repair.

I have no lingering issues with that knee.

BYZEN is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Every day was LEG DAY when I was young and it showed. But apparently heavy things falling on knees will still tear ligaments. As a linebacker and wrestl
    I've had my Left ACL repaired twice and Left PCL once.
    Right knee has had the Lateral Collateral ligament repaired, (my own teemmate cut me in practice.) Both medial and lateral meniscus' trimmed at different times.
    Bi-lateral pateller release, this means the slised up the tendon on the side of the knee so my knee caps could move back to the middle of my knees, the muscles were too strong and were pulling them to the side.
    The math works out to 8 proccedures over the years and I did every bit of rehab that they asked of me and then some.
    Now I don't have much leg or knee pain. They bother me once in a while if I try to kneel on a hard floor. Would I do it again? YES
    SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier on NDSU intro video: "This is not meant to be North Dakota State's home game."