Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990 v IUP: DII Title Game

SafeTeeJ is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 1990 v IUP: DII Title Game

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I think about this quite often but in 1990, NDSU had a completely dominant season and scored 5 TDs in the third quarter to win NDSU's 8th national championship, and NDSU's fifth in the eight years.

If somebody had told me that NDSU would go over TWO FREAKING DECADES before winning another national title, I'd have just snorted and rolled my eyes, or possibly just stared, because there are some statements so stupid that even I don't bother arguing with the person making them.

Let me tell you - 21 years is a long time, but 21 years without a national title game is an ocean of time even if the DI move and subsequent big wins took a lot of sting out of that. It's easy to get jaded, but it is much more satisfying by far to enjoy these moments. That's my Bisonville New Year's thought, fwiw.
    Hammer and Leo really opened up the floodgate the second half!
    "The bird is in your hand"

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I was at that game and certainly concur that it seemed like we were ready to keep the momentum going for years to come. For a bit, I thought that perhaps the FFD had cursed the team.
    When we first moved into the Dome I hated it as well. There were more casual fans and it seemed like people were there to socialize. When you went to a playoff game at Dacotah field the rabid fans were all there and it was fantastic. That fanatical fan came back in the early 2010's to the dome and it was alot of fun. Those sames fans were there for the recent JMU game even if it wasn't sold out.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think about this quite often but in 1990, NDSU had a completely dominant season and scored 5 TDs in the third quarter to win NDSU's 8th national championship, and NDSU's fifth in the eight years.

If somebody had told me that NDSU would go over TWO FREAKING DECADES before winning another national title, I'd have just snorted and rolled my eyes, or possibly just stared, because there are some statements so stupid that even I don't bother arguing with the person making them.

Let me tell you - 21 years is a long time, but 21 years without a national title game is an ocean of time even if the DI move and subsequent big wins took a lot of sting out of that. It's easy to get jaded, but it is much more satisfying by far to enjoy these moments. That's my Bisonville New Year's thought, fwiw.
    That team was stacked with studs as well. Satter, Simdorn, and Phil Hansen were so fun to watch on every play. I lived thru and went to college during those 21 years and it stunk. The Babich years were very difficult cause I felt like we had some really good players but some weird coaching. Even though Babich has been a really good NFL positional coach for the better part of 2 decades. It could happen again and I don't want that to happen. Look at teams like Michigan, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida, FSU, Texas they all have major droughts.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We went to an NDSU IUP watch party at a bar near mile high stadium in Denver ( The Ironworks I believe it was called). About 10 NDSU grads (including two guys in their 70's). 60-70 from IUP with families and kids.

Pregame younger NDSU guys chanting "Here we go bison, SIoux Suck". One older gentleman says to the other. "See Glen the Sioux Still suck after all these years".

Game was pretty mellow until said 3rd quarter in which the IUP folks and Ndsu folks decided each touchdown the scored upon alum would buy the other 2 pitchers of beer.

Needless to say in short order the small group of Bison Alum had to drink a lot of beer (in addition to the pre game and first half drinking). To the point we wished Tony Satter wouldn't score so quickly the next time he got the ball(he did).

IUP fans were great. They felt they had the better band and we bought them 2 pitchers of beer for it.

Just thinking back to the technology in getting a game "piped into the bar" as they called it back then. Grainy screen and delayed sound a marvel in that day and age.

21 years without a natty but 4 of those year were playoff ineligible due to the transition and we missed in our 1st 2 years of playoff inelibility in 2008 and 2009. So that's 6 years

There were scholarship cuts across D2 but we had some great teams in between. The 92 team almost made it with a 3rd string QB. 95 made a deep playoff run. 2000 was a good team.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Frank Cignetti Sr. was awesome, very old school - he's in the College Football Hall of Fame too.

And my approval of the youngster Cignetti went up a little since he didn't scream at any of players this last game. Couldn't even get a screenshot of him looking like a serial killer.
    First game of year in 1990 was Indiana PA in Fargo.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I couldn’t afford to go to Alabama for the final but I remember the play off game against Pittsburg State. Their coach was mocking Phil Hanson on a radio interview, saying Phil would play on Pittsburg’s scout team. Their team delayed coming out of the locker room so they could make a dramatic entrance. The players ran out holding their helmets up in the air. There was complete silence until one guy in the stands starts singing…nah na nah na, nah na nah na, hey hey hey, good bye. Soon the entire stadium joined in. I think we beat them 50-0 or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    We went to an NDSU IUP watch party at a bar near mile high stadium in Denver ( The Ironworks I believe it was called). About 10 NDSU grads (including two guys in their 70's). 60-70 from IUP with families and kids.

Pregame younger NDSU guys chanting "Here we go bison, SIoux Suck". One older gentleman says to the other. "See Glen the Sioux Still suck after all these years".

Game was pretty mellow until said 3rd quarter in which the IUP folks and Ndsu folks decided each touchdown the scored upon alum would buy the other 2 pitchers of beer.

Needless to say in short order the small group of Bison Alum had to drink a lot of beer (in addition to the pre game and first half drinking). To the point we wished Tony Satter wouldn't score so quickly the next time he got the ball(he did).

IUP fans were great. They felt they had the better band and we bought them 2 pitchers of beer for it.

Just thinking back to the technology in getting a game "piped into the bar" as they called it back then. Grainy screen and delayed sound a marvel in that day and age.
    Love reading these back in the day DII stories. Makes me wonder what the youngsters will think in 20 years of my stories about streaming a playoff game on my phone during a layover in Minneapolis. Looked up in the 4th quarter and there were over a dozen others hunched over their phones at the gate for the flight back to Fargo.

Quote Originally Posted by PAC Bison View Post
    I couldn’t afford to go to Alabama for the final but I remember the play off game against Pittsburg State. Their coach was mocking Phil Hanson on a radio interview, saying Phil would play on Pittsburg’s scout team. Their team delayed coming out of the locker room so they could make a dramatic entrance. The players ran out holding their helmets up in the air. There was complete silence until one guy in the stands starts singing…nah na nah na, nah na nah na, hey hey hey, good bye. Soon the entire stadium joined in. I think we beat them 50-0 or something like that.
    Think that was Central Ohio.

The first playoff game was with Ashland, which was a blowout, and then Central Ohio, which we won with little trouble, and then the Pittsburg State game was a real dog fight, and wasn't decided until late in the 4th Quarter when Todd Wash intercepted a pass.
    Last edited by bloodmakesthegrassgrow; 12-28-2021 at 04:25 AM.

SafeTeeJ is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmakesthegrassgrow View Post
    Think that was Central Ohio.

The first playoff game was with Ashland, which was a blowout, and then Central Ohio, which we won with little trouble, and then the Pittsburg State game was a real dog fight, and wasn't decided until late in the 4th Quarter when Todd Wash intercepted a pass.
    I think you guys are lumping together a lot of different years together.
    Central Ohio preceded by Ashland was 1986.
    Central Ohio that year had a monster o lineman that was 6-8” 420 LBs, came out onto Dacotah field holding their helmets up high.

Phil would have been a redshirt freshman, that year and didn’t even dress for the playoffs.
    "The bird is in your hand"