Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Eve Statistics

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Christmas Eve Statistics

During the Cotton Bowl, they showed a stat where Alabama has been ranked #1 in just over 47% of polls (AP I believe) since 2008. Which got me to wondering what % of polls NDSU has been #1 since 2011. I'm guessing or hoping that Tony will be able to answer that question.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    95 different teams in the FCS playoffs is surprising. I would have guessed around 50.
    Very surprising. The top is always the top, but the bottom half of the playoff field is pretty much a revolving door that half the division is in contention for any given year.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    During the Cotton Bowl, they showed a stat where Alabama has been ranked #1 in just over 47% of polls (AP I believe) since 2008. Which got me to wondering what % of polls NDSU has been #1 since 2011. I'm guessing or hoping that Tony will be able to answer that question.
    I want to know the longest stretch NDSU has been ranked #1. That win streak under Easton and Trey has to be up there...

95 different teams in the FCS playoffs is surprising. I would have guessed around 50.
    Yeah, your first reaction might be "I didn't even know there were 95 teams from playoff conferences"... but I'm talking since 2000 so some teams have moved to FBS or their conferences have opted out.

Since NDSU first made the playoffs, 82 other teams have made the playoffs too... and 55 of them have at least one win. And when you think about it, you can kind of see it. I mean, how many MVFC, Big Sky, CAA, Southland, and SoCon teams have not made the playoffs? Dang few.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    Very surprising. The top is always the top, but the bottom half of the playoff field is pretty much a revolving door that half the division is in contention for any given year.
    Hasn't every team in the Valley made one playoff appearance just in the last decade? Go back 20 years for all of FCS and getting to 95 teams isn't all that surprising really. Especially if you include a few of those teams aren't even FCS anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    Hasn't every team in the Valley made one playoff appearance just in the last decade? Go back 20 years for all of FCS and getting to 95 teams isn't all that surprising really. Especially if you include a few of those teams aren't even FCS anymore.
    I can't confirm for the Valley, but for sure no team remains at the bottom of our League forever. Remember when ISUb, South Dakota, and Misery State were considered bye weeks? They've all made the playoffs during our run. Hell even UN_ has been a seed.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    I want to know the longest stretch NDSU has been ranked #1. That win streak under Easton and Trey has to be up there...
    I might have screwed up that weird spring season's rankings, but I have 300 #1 rankings (1 coach, 1 media.) NDSU is #1 in 158 of them (#1 79 times in the media poll, 79 times in the Coaches poll.) SHSU was ranked #1 45 times, JMU #42. No other MVFC team has had the #1 spot since the start of NDSU's run.

I think NDSU was ranked #1 31 consecutive times (that would include pre- and post-season polls) from the postseason poll in 2017 to losing to SIU in the spring of 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    NDSU has played 51 different teams since the end of the 2010 season, but only 9 of those teams have posted a win. That's a .824 No-Wins-For-You-In-This-Decade+ rate.

Of the teams that NDSU has lost games to, NDSU's record is 65-12 (.844). That's a better overall record than any FCS team has had in the same period.

Of the 9 teams that beat NDSU since the end of the 2010 season, only one (SDSU) has posted more than one W.

Ho. Ho. Ho. Merry Statsmas.
    is that good???
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

If NDSU beats Drake in the series opener, the Bison football team's all-time winning percentage goes to .666 which is good.

Or is it? bwhahahahaha!

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    If NDSU beats Drake in the series opener, the Bison football team's all-time winning percentage goes to .666 which is good.

Or is it? bwhahahahaha!
    Just to be safe, round that up to .67