Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: SIU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: SIU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    I would like to see them get those hat cams on all the officiating crew like they had on the umpire in the B1G Championship last night. That was very cool plus it gives you some insight into what the official sees.
    I have a better idea. Become an official and you can see every play like that! The hat cam doesn't pick up peripheral views but it's still really cool. And also very expensive technology. I think there is also limitations to what the video board can capture for replay. They are probably limited by the number of feeds (think of HDMI and USB ports on your TV). The more cameras the bigger the board is to capture them all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    So on the play in question someone ripped the ball out after play was over. They got there and a defender handed it to them.... Lol I think they just spotted it in the same spot after that
    Yes they did. So dumb. And get the fucking camera on the goal line. How hard is that?

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Yes they did. So dumb. And get the fucking camera on the goal line. How hard is that?
    Por a camera on the goal line you are taking it away from somewhere else. And on short dives up the middle the goal line camera won't see anything most of the time. For a potential fumble the I can see if the ball is dead or ripped out after the ball is dead but he won't have a bite of whether it crossed or if it crossed before or after the runner was down.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Por a camera on the goal line you are taking it away from somewhere else. And on short dives up the middle the goal line camera won't see anything most of the time. For a potential fumble the I can see if the ball is dead or ripped out after the ball is dead but he won't have a bite of whether it crossed or if it crossed before or after the runner was down.

The camera was 5 yards deep in the End zone when the LOS was inside the 5. GET THE CAMERA ON THE GOAL LINE.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    The camera was 5 yards deep in the End zone when the LOS was inside the 5. GET THE CAMERA ON THE GOAL LINE.
    If that cameraman was on the goal line he would only see the back of the head of the official. It was a hand held camera. You would need an elevated camera which would take seats away in the stands as I don't think there is room on the sideline for a stand. And then it becomes something permanent that doesn't move during the game. You would also need 4 of them, from both sides on both goal lines. And you need it there for every play no matter where the ball is snapped because as we saw earlier this year a long run can end up with a close play at the goal line. That's s very expensive investment for something that may be needed 2 or 3 times each season in a stadium. Maybe just trust the people on the field who are trained to make those decisions and are right 98% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I have a better idea. Become an official and you can see every play like that! The hat cam doesn't pick up peripheral views but it's still really cool. And also very expensive technology. I think there is also limitations to what the video board can capture for replay. They are probably limited by the number of feeds (think of HDMI and USB ports on your TV). The more cameras the bigger the board is to capture them all.

Ha! I’m way too old and slow to become an official. PLUS - I know almost nothing about the game.

Your point about the peripheral view is a good one and that could be solved by subbing a wider angle lens. But then the whole image would suffer I fear due to feeling less in the action. Would be interesting to see a slightly wider view though for grins.

I’m sure there are some limitations on the number of streams that can be accommodated concurrently. It was real impressive to me to see that they could fit a lens and radio small enough and light enough for the official to wear unimpeded and still powerful enough to stream real-time. Heck, I think I might enjoy watching a full game with nothing but those hat cams. I’m a little weird though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    Only disagreement I have is Weber was talking a lot today. Waving goodbye to the opposing crowd section. A bit too close to taunting for me. He may get penalized in the future.
    Yep. Where is the HC to put a stop to the antics? This is NDSU. Show some class and celebrate with your teammates. If he doesn't get it by now the coaches are the problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Yep. Where is the HC to put a stop to the antics? This is NDSU. Show some class and celebrate with your teammates. If he doesn't get it by now the coaches are the problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Agree....hope those antics doen't come back to bite the team in the ass with an unsportsmanlike at a crucial time.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Agree....hope those antics doen't come back to bite the team in the ass with an unsportsmanlike at a crucial time.
    Yes, it's asking for trouble. Other playoff games I watched have had a few of these called, even for stuff like a little extra celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Ha! I’m way too old and slow to become an official. PLUS - I know almost nothing about the game.

Your point about the peripheral view is a good one and that could be solved by subbing a wider angle lens. But then the whole image would suffer I fear due to feeling less in the action. Would be interesting to see a slightly wider view though for grins.

I’m sure there are some limitations on the number of streams that can be accommodated concurrently. It was real impressive to me to see that they could fit a lens and radio small enough and light enough for the official to wear unimpeded and still powerful enough to stream real-time. Heck, I think I might enjoy watching a full game with nothing but those hat cams. I’m a little weird though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Had to ask. I love looking at the hat cams. If you watched it constantly you would find out how little the officials watch the ball. For example, there are several plays each game i have no idea if a pass was complete or incomplete. Sometimes I don't know if a pass was thrown. I'm focused on my keys and just know a play has ended. I have to ask the result of the play. I also never know if a FG or try was successful because it's behind me. I can usually tell by the reaction of the players but sometimes I have to ask one if the wings.

Peripheral is important for me when avoiding crossing routes or being aware a pass has been thrown when I'm focused on the blockers. It also helps me pick up a blitzer if I'm watching another block. Most fouls in the middle happen against these defenders. The lineman or back picks them up late and grabs or illegally cuts.

When we watch video though and wonder where an official is looking we use the bill of his cap because his main focus is usually where the bill is pointed.