Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Future for bison

Default Re: Future for bison

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    The minimum requirements for a successful jump are an invite, money, and regional partners. We have none of those, and you FBS or bust crowd have never explained how we get any of them. Sorry if reality doesn't stroke your ego.
    So you're saying we're going to be FBS Forever.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Of course costs would go up some for additional scholarships and travel, but so would revenues. A lot of what pushes teams to FBS is the additional revenues. Conference media deal, guarantee games, sponsorships, etc all go up.

A lot of schools hire consultants to crunch the numbers, but nearly all studies done show FBS is better financially than FCS. That might not be true in CUSA with their crap media deal, but is with every other conference. NDSU could do one of these "feasibility" studies if needed.

I don't believe we would need to double our budget to be competitive. We beat FBS teams now when they will play us. Imagine how good the Bison could be with the same system, additional scholarships and the FBS label for recruiting.
    State Radio, I mean Bison 1660 said that research had been done and that the additional costs to move up "were not as much as people think." I think that was in regards to a football only move, which is what the "FBS at all costs" people, as they have been dubbed, want.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    How is the MWC perfect? Forget bus trips, there isn't even another school in our time zone. Our athletic budget is ~$24M, theirs are $40-50M. Tell me how we double our budget before dreaming of grandeur.
    Is it a fair statement to say that some of the difference in budget is due to debt obligation on facilities? The way our state laws and requirements are we can’t borrow for new facilities, we have to fundraise in advance. Others can borrow and pay back after. This actually makes me feel like our financial position is much stronger than others. The day to day operating dollars at NDSU is very much in line with most of the G5. For all the limitations of the fargodome, it is a really good financial situation for NDSU. We pay almost nothing for the Fargodome compared to other programs who own and operate all of their facilities.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    Is it a fair statement to say that some of the difference in budget is due to debt obligation on facilities? The way our state laws and requirements are we can’t borrow for new facilities, we have to fundraise in advance. Others can borrow and pay back after. This actually makes me feel like our financial position is much stronger than others. The day to day operating dollars at NDSU is very much in line with most of the G5. For all the limitations of the fargodome, it is a really good financial situation for NDSU. We pay almost nothing for the Fargodome compared to other programs who own and operate all of their facilities.
    Thats true, but I don't know how we will ever expand to 30k capacity without debt if the $300 million someone threw out is even close to accurate. This is a problem we likely have to solve to join the MWC. For the MAC I think we are fine as is.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Thats true, but I don't know how we will ever expand to 30k capacity without debt if the $300 million someone threw out is even close to accurate. This is a problem we likely have to solve to join the MWC. For the MAC I think we are fine as is.
    If expansion to 30k capacity is what makes a MWC invite possible, then yes it is an obstacle to overcome. That being said, I personally believe that our geography for the Olympic sports and their lack of strength compared to other MWC teams is the bigger hinderance to an invite from MWC. Overcoming those obstacles would be able to be addressed much cheaper than building a new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    If expansion to 30k capacity is what makes a MWC invite possible, then yes it is an obstacle to overcome. That being said, I personally believe that our geography for the Olympic sports and their lack of strength compared to other MWC teams is the bigger hinderance to an invite from MWC. Overcoming those obstacles would be able to be addressed much cheaper than building a new stadium.
    Not sure it will be an entry requirement, but I think MWC will want to see expansion plans that take us to 25-30k. That is on the smaller side of their existing stadiums.

https://youtu.be/U2qBVIQFp1U

I personally don't want an NDSU in the MWC. If it's FB only until we can get into a better regional fit so be it but the geography and timezones would be a horrible fit. I'd actually prefer the MAC over the MWC. May not be as good a conference right now but it could be better with us and a couple other adds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    I personally don't want an NDSU in the MWC. If it's FB only until we can get into a better regional fit so be it but the geography and timezones would be a horrible fit. I'd actually prefer the MAC over the MWC. May not be as good a conference right now but it could be better with us and a couple other adds.
    It doesn't scream big time, but MAC is probably the best fit for us outside of the MVFC. It feels like a lateral move competition wise.
    MVFC may not be FBS in 20 years though, I don't think anyone other than SDSU and Missouri St could make the jump, and it feels like a stretch for them.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Bison View Post
    I checked the list of schools that have transitioned from FCS to FBS since 2010. Teams include:
    Appalachian State
    Coastal Carolina Univ.
    Georgia Southern Univ.
    Georgia State Univ.
    Liberty Univ.
    Univ. of North Carolina, Charlotte
    Old Dominion Univ.
    Univ. of South Alabama
    Texas State Univ.

And now, James Madison
    Sam Houston
    Jacksonville Univ.

Who have I missed? There may be some other teams that moved up from competition levels other than FCS.

This list includes many of the powers that we have had to face in FCS playoffs. It now appears that FCS football is being more and more watered down every year. FCS is looking more and more like D-2 football. What next... Morningside reappearing in the MVFC.

I'm not saying we have to go FBS but we can start to assume that it's not a lot more than D-2 any more.

OK fire away.
    Not much to say. Nothing matters other then continuing tradition playing Bison football at the highest level, putting more and more players into the NFL more then any of those teams listed past FCS and current FCS teams, and not worrying about FBS UNTIL Mr.Larson announces that NDSU has been invited to ANY FBS conference. Until then Play Baaalll! Lets live for this playoff and stampede to Frisco like we use too!!
    No need to bring this up anymore until it gets REAL.
    Be Herd - Titletown of College football.

Nodak Greg