Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the Dome Half Full?

Default Why is the Dome Half Full?

Is the dome half full (or thereabouts) because most of the games are broadcast?

Is the fan base getting older and just satisfied to stay at home?

Obviously... the students aren't buying into the program... so something has gone terribly wrong with the campus attitude toward the program. The university needs to address this.

Somebody wrote that the culture of the program has changed. If that's true... what does that mean?

I don't have a lot of answers.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Default Re: Why is the Dome Half Full?

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Is the dome half full (or thereabouts) because most of the games are broadcast?

Is the fan base getting older and just satisfied to stay at home?

Obviously... the students aren't buying into the program... so something has gone terribly wrong with the campus attitude toward the program. The university needs to address this.

Somebody wrote that the culture of the program has changed. If that's true... what does that mean?

I don't have a lot of answers.
    student tickets were sold out agaisnt USD but their allotment is reduced greatly from 2013.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

People are scared of the Coof. They're worried about only having a 99.87% chance of living to see next year's Bison team.

some of it is Covid still. Vikings arent half full but I had to sell Cowboys and Steelers tickets for under face value when they normally would have gone for 2-3 times..

but also we have lost 1 home game in over 4 years... we went 6-0 this year and won by 177 points or 30 per game.. the Bison are for the most part not even football games its WWE or harlem globetrotters sports entertainment at this point.. its gotten to be a joke as they beat up on far inferior teams for 11 years running. and now only gets worse with 3 top schools leaving.

We already have a thread for this lol "Bison Fatigue"

Law of decreasing marginal utility: "The law of diminishing marginal utility states that all else equal, as consumption increases, the marginal utility derived from each additional unit declines. ... The utility is an economic term used to represent satisfaction or happiness"

There are other factors or course, but this explains why we were sold out to the rafters for our first playoff game against Wofford, but less and less each time after.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Stadiums, all sports, all levels, are seeing declining attendance.

Blame the generational change from "in person social" to "device social".

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Stadiums, all sports, all levels, are seeing declining attendance.

Blame the generational change from "in person social" to "device social".
    As much as it pains me to say this, there is a lot of truth to it, especially with the younger generations (millenials & gen z). I first noticed the "device social" element when I traveled to my hometown one weekend and thought "You know, I'll head uptown and see what's going on". In my day that street would have been PACKED with people from across the area "cruising main" and pulled over in parking lots shooting the shit, waiting for someone to decide where to have the party that night... then around 10:30 to 11:00 everyone would head out to whatever party spot was chosen. But even then, there would still be 5 to 10 cars wandering up and down the street until 1 or 2 in the morning. During this visit (about 2003ish) there wasn't a single car out and about. I stopped at the bar and had a beer with some of my friends and they told me "these kids don't really get together like we used to, the days of big parties just across the county line are long gone! They'd rather play games on their xbox/ps and talk to each other on chat"

The same is true, I think, for watching sports. For many, the view on TV is better than what they get in the dome (even with KVLY/WDAY production woes), they save money on travel and tickets and can host watch parties or even virtual zoom watch parties with their friends. Add in a decade of dominance and the appeal of "must go to the game" fades for many. I personally enjoy the social aspect of gameday. Seeing people who've become like family to me, shooting the shit, talking smack, etc.. is why I go. The game is almost secondary at times.

It's COVID for us given that rural Minnesota has been one of the hot spots for cases recently. We have our booster shots now so we did get tickets for the first playoff game. Most years we attend 2-3 regular season games and didn't attend any this year and only one game in the spring.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Also depends on what time you look. It takes about 40 minutes to get into the dome from the west lot. So the start of the game will always look empty. 2nd qtr will be peak capacity. Halftime hits... students leave and others start to trickle out... especially if it's 28-7.

And yes, kid sports, watching games in HD from your garage or couch... it's pretty nice.

We're selling 80 to 90% of the tickets but many are corporate tickets that go unused. People get season tickets and skip the mediocre games. Students leave at half time. Covid still has a small impact. Also there is really only a few good games this year

There are probably 3k in the concourse at any given moment. The metal detectors slow the entry into the dome and then people need to pee or get food and the lines suck. That's why we really need the concourse expansion with extra bathrooms. You can miss the 1st quarter if you wait too long to get on line

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com