Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: GDT vs Tarleton 11/22

Default Re: GDT vs Tarleton 11/22

Quote Originally Posted by blackdiamond2 View Post
    We have learned a few things through the preseason -

Do other teams have as many suspensions as us? I don't recall other teams every having this many suspensions...

Our PG recruiting has been bad which Richmond has called our most important position. Dez can't shot and Guy can't guard. There was a stretch in the 1st half where Guy had 3 turnovers in a row against the ball pressure...It was similar to when SDSU full court pressed us last year. Guy just doesn't have the speed to blow by a guy at the D1 one level.
    These are all solid takes and are putting a damper on my excitement for this season.

DC3 was supposed to be the savior and then Willie guy was the naia d2 mvp

a real coach with a point guard problem would change/alter the offense & move his 3 6'10 guys down low, but.....
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    DC3 was supposed to be the savior and then Willie guy was the naia d2 mvp

a real coach with a point guard problem would change/alter the offense & move his 3 6'10 guys down low, but.....
    Another solid take. You can tell Dave has tried to bring in a replacement like Vinnie multiple times, but nothing is working. At some point the offense needs to change if you don't have the right player for that position and style of offense.

GRAFTONBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Another solid take. You can tell Dave has tried to bring in a replacement like Vinnie multiple times, but nothing is working. At some point the offense needs to change if you don't have the right player for that position and style of offense.
    Something about square pegs into round holes perhaps?

Do other teams have as many suspensions as us? I don't recall other teams every having this many suspensions...

Our PG recruiting has been bad which Richmond has called our most important position. Dez can't shot and Guy can't guard. There was a stretch in the 1st half where Guy had 3 turnovers in a row against the ball pressure...It was similar to when SDSU full court pressed us last year. Guy just doesn't have the speed to blow by a guy at the D1 one level.
    I know it's early but it's looking like Guy does not belong on the court at this level. At least not this season. He did hit 2 nice 3's however. No Griesel this season would be absolutely devastating. Hope this team can gain some confidence soon, we saw that towards the end of last season.

Told my kids before tipoff we are in trouble. Their was no excitement or energy by the players. Starting lineups were announced and not even a fist or chest bump. That lack of energy and excitement showed on the court.

Thought our D gameplan was solid. They made a lot of tough and key shots despite some pretty good D on our part. As far as offense what a compete shitshow. Bigs were MIA as they refused to fight for rebounding position when they happened to be down low. They just sit there and watch the shot and let Tarleton swoop in for position and the board. Skunkberg can't shoot a 3 much less a layup. He needs to ride the pine until he can improve his game. AK and Cook were welcome bright spots and saved our ass. They both need solid minutes moving forward. Eady looks slow and lost and just hoping he is knocking off the rust. MHH has been lucky to gain 5 lbs in his 3 years here. Eat some oatmeal and lift some weights kid!

HC DR says all the time we are a developmental program. Well holy shit, start developing something then!

Preseason? Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

PG is a need but I actually like Dez’s game a lot, Griesel obviously is the guy when he’s back and we have a couple solid guards coming in next season. Willie Guy finally made some shots but he is a defensive liability and can’t handle the ball against pressure which is exactly what a PG is supposed to be able to do. Why we refuse to throw the ball down low is the baffling part, Nelson was begging for it multiple times when he had like a 6’2” guy guarding him and nobody would throw him the ball. Same with Morgan, at some point it falls on the players too. I can’t imagine a coach saying don’t throw that pass but who knows. Create the angle, give the bigs the ball and let them eat. That’s the only way we are getting where we want to go this season.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    PG is a need but I actually like Dez’s game a lot, Griesel obviously is the guy when he’s back and we have a couple solid guards coming in next season. Willie Guy finally made some shots but he is a defensive liability and can’t handle the ball against pressure which is exactly what a PG is supposed to be able to do. Why we refuse to throw the ball down low is the baffling part, Nelson was begging for it multiple times when he had like a 6’2” guy guarding him and nobody would throw him the ball. Same with Morgan, at some point it falls on the players too. I can’t imagine a coach saying don’t throw that pass but who knows. Create the angle, give the bigs the ball and let them eat. That’s the only way we are getting where we want to go this season.
    How is that not part of the gameplanning going into playing that team. Instead it's the same lazy passing around the arc against pressure defense they struggle to get even a single reversal against.

Why not try pushing it down the floor and try to get a quick entry into the post. NDSU had a deeper bench as the other team played some players the entire game. Just frustrating not seeing any adjustments to play to their strengths against different opponent's comparative weaknesses. Then not scoring for over 7 minutes and not changing a single thing?!?! I'm not a basketball genius but I can't see what Richman's plan was that game besides sticking to their offense and hoping the threes finally started dropping and that god their barely did.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Yeah, that has been a frustration point for me ever since Tyson Ward has been gone. You can't create a shot just passing it around the perimeter. You either need to get the ball inside or create off the dribble in order to get good shots. Creating off the dribble isn't this team's strong suit so getting the ball inside should be an emphasis.