Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK Culhane, let me educate you on how you do a barcket

marenlee is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: OK Culhane, let me educate you on how you do a barcket

Quote Originally Posted by 123Gobison View Post
    He wings it sometimes. He started in 2017-2018 ? after Scottie passed away but when talking on the radio about Bison football he talks as if he was here since 2011.
    Spring 2016. I’ve been listening to him since he’s been on air and he’s a great ambassador for the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I love listening to Culhane. I don't care how long he has been here, he's easier on the ears than say Timmerman or Izzo for that matter when watching the game.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Yeah Culhane is a boss. He and Phil on the PxP call are so superior to listening to the TV. I weep for those who don't know how to use the TuneIn app to sync up the 1660 audio to your TV. As an engineer I have no idea how someone can talk for 2 hours straight on a radio program so all good broadcasters are impressive to me.

Sounds like his bracketmaking skills could use some sharpening though
    Last edited by NDSU92; 11-23-2021 at 01:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

You can put me down in the Culhane Fan column as well.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

It's "trot it in there baby"? Sign at the dome said "trot in there baby"?

And unrelated to Culhane but is it just me or does the dome announcer struggle saying Kobe Johnson for some reason? Thought we had a new back the first time he ran the ball and the announcer said his name.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    4 teams times 6 groups is 24. Is it really that hard to understand??? I'll lay it out using this year's field.
    Professor, if I may, ...

Is there an analytic (RPI, Massey, Sagarin, PWR) used to order the teams 1-24?

I'm saying have the overall analytic "ranking" of FCS, pull out your autobid teams, now select the remainder of the field, the at-large, as the highest analytics ranked teams not already in the field via autobid. (If there's other disqualifiers like 6 DI wins or over 0.500 don't select them at-large.) There's your 24.

Take those 24 and order them by your analytic. Now do your six groups of four.

Or they could use the SRS that isn't released until after the selection show.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Professor, if I may, ...

I'm saying have the overall analytic "ranking" of FCS, pull out your autobid teams, now select the remainder of the field, the at-large, as the highest analytics ranked teams not already in the field via autobid. (If there's other disqualifiers like 6 DI wins or over 0.500 don't select them at-large.) There's your 24.

It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    After field selection do they use SRS to 'six groups of four' re-rank, or do they go DSFRWSAS* ranking?

They should re-rank and go "six of four" by the SRS. That SH/HC game is a stinker that should never happen and re-ranking and PC's method would prevent it.

*Dark, smoke filled room with scotch and stogies

Mentioning the SRS ... why can't I find the current SRS?

The NCAA site is doing a great job of giving me the 2019 SRS ...
    https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/footba...ratings-system

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Professor, if I may, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Yeah, SRS is the only rating system they claim is discussed in the committee room and, like Hammerhead said, it's not released publicly until after the bracket (and sometimes not at all) even though the committee does have it available to them in the weeks leading up to Selection Sunday and the formula is out there if anyone wanted to put in the effort to calculate it themselves.

I've seen it referenced that the Coaches Poll is also an "official tool" () but I've heard that the external polls like the STATS Poll along with Sagarin and Massey ratings are something that committee members use to do their own research in preparation for the selection process. I know once the field is determined they do take a poll of all the committee members and come up with a 1-24 ranking... they just cut it off at 8 for the seeds but they're already doing the work to seed/pool the rest of the teams so they could easily do it if they wanted to/could.

EDIT: If you're interested in getting into the nitty gritty of how the selection committee selects the at-large teams and sets the seeds this video is really interesting (if you can ignore the herky-jerky monotonous delivery of the narrator): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FECEd5QPiA