Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paging Indy on the end of the SDSU/USD game

Default Re: Paging Indy on the end of the SDSU/USD game

SDSU called a timeout to plan for their 4th down play.
    They must have run the playclock down to 1 second before doing so. Had they taken a delay (especially if they weren't planning on trying for the first down), and THEN called timeout.......there's your 1 second (7 vs 8).

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I already mentioned the ball is dead in this case when it touches something out of bounds. I couldn't tell for sure exactly when it touched something OOB here, but it definitely seemed like there should have been time left based on when I lost track of the ball. Based on what others saw it sounds like it was easily 1-2 seconds which is also what replay must have been able to confirm. When I first read the comments here I expected the ball to be OOB much later.

The substitution did appear to be officiated correctly. If there was a sub from the offense it was earlier in the dead ball period and likely didn't require holding them up to complete the sub. It appears SDSU got caught trying to sub too late. In a weird way it kind of helped USD. SDSU quickly snapped a play rather than what they probably had planned to run. The receiver caught the ball and went OOB allowing USD to save one of their time outs.

The passer is definitely out of the pocket so he only had to get it beyond the line of scrimmage in order to to legally dump it. Intentional grounding definitely did not occur here. If he did this from the tackle box the fact it possibly sailed 50 feet over the head of a receiver likely wouldn't absolve him of throwing toward a receiver in the area.

As for adding 1 second from 7 to 8 that also made sense because if the play clocked start with 48 seconds on the game clock you can't get to 7 seconds without a delay of game. At this point of a half a 1-second correction will be made. It usually wouldn't happen if the error was with 8 minutes left in the 1st quarter. The general philosophy is anything more than 5 seconds or in the last 5 minutes of the half.

BFKasper14 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Couldn’t find a thread to put this, but I have a question for Indy. I’m watching the Wisconsin/ AZ State game and was wondering about an intentional grounding call.

The Qb got the ball and threw a lateral pass to a WR. The WR didn’t have anywhere to go so he threw the ball past the LOS out of bounds. There wasn’t a receiver in the area. Intentional grounding was called.

What is the rule for that? Isn’t the WR outside of the tackle box? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One does not simply walk into the FARGODOME...

Quote Originally Posted by BFKasper14 View Post
    Couldn’t find a thread to put this, but I have a question for Indy. I’m watching the Wisconsin/ AZ State game and was wondering about an intentional grounding call.

The Qb got the ball and threw a lateral pass to a WR. The WR didn’t have anywhere to go so he threw the ball past the LOS out of bounds. There wasn’t a receiver in the area. Intentional grounding was called.

What is the rule for that? Isn’t the WR outside of the tackle box? Thanks!

The ability to legally ground the ball outside the tackle box beyond the LOS only applies to the player who receives the snap. This passer needs to get it in the area of an eligible receiver. Good get by the crew.

Also Forks Up! Go Sun Devils!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BFKasper14 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The ability to legally ground the ball outside the tackle box beyond the LOS only applies to the player who receives the snap. This passer needs to get it in the area of an eligible receiver. Good get by the crew.

Thank you, Indy!!!

One does not simply walk into the FARGODOME...

I thought this would be a great place to share some rules knowledge. Lots of buzz about the 4th down OT play in the Tennessee Purdue game. Lots of comments I'm seeing show an expected ignorance of the applicable rules. Many use the announcers as the source of their justification for an incorrect call.

First, the play is over when it's over, not when the whistle blows. The only time the whistle ends the down is not a good one...inadvertent whistle! The L ruled progress stopped and then blew his whistle. The timing of the whistle means nothing in relation to when he stretched the ball.

Second, progress is a judgment call. The wing has to make a decision based on what he/she sees and often gets criticized no matter what they call on plays like this. He/she doesn't blow the whistle and some defender comes in to hit the runner and the coach will bitch because it was late. I think whether or not progress applies here is debatable, but I think it's the better call. A ruling either way though isn't wrong or a horrible call that screwed one of the teams.

Third, if the L does not rule progress and awards the TD then you have to determine if the other UT player is guilty of assisting the runner. You can push the runner, but you can't pull him. He's definitely trying to pull him and it appears he pulls his arm loose allowing him to stretch it out. This penalty would be enforced and UT would be allowed to replay the down.

Based on those rules I feel you have 2 valid results. Progress stopped and turnover on downs or replay the down after enforcement. If you do the latter you are rewarding the offense for committing a foul because they get another chance. That's why I think progress is the better option. Not sure if that ever crossed the mind of the official when he ruled progress. He did a great job ruling confidently. That's a huge call in a "big" game.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post

This one has come up a few times this year....seems to be more common than I remember.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!