Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paging Indy on the end of the SDSU/USD game

Default Re: Paging Indy on the end of the SDSU/USD game

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    If he throws it in the seats by definition there is no receiver in the area who could catch it. They would have to be outside the pocket and bring the LOS. I guess as close as the seats are in the Fargodome that wouldn't apply if they landed in the first row. But that's an unusually tight sideline.

There was an editorial change this year that if they had flagged for intentional grounding the period could be extended for an untimed down at the option of the offended team. Previously if the clock expired on a play like this you would not extend the period if the penalty included a loss of down provision. A team could intentionally ground the ball illegally but the other team wouldn't get an untimed down. It doesn't sound like that happened here because you said there was no foul and there was 1 second on the clock.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    The dakotadome is as tight as the fargodome. No foul was called. However, the clock had expired, and replay put 1 second back on so the play failed for SDSU. My interest is, say it does not hit the seat until zero (and I do think it did hit at about 1 second), when is that play dead? A lot of SDSU fans have talked themselves into the refs screwed up putting the 1 second back on the clock since the camera view is hard to see when it hits a seat.

Here's the video that shows the last offensive play for SDSU and the hail mary:

Looks pretty clearly to be touched by the fans with at least 1 second left. It was interesting that the officials set the game clock back to 8 seconds after the 3rd down play and subsequent timeout from SDSU when the game clocked initially showed 7 seconds after that TO.... looked pretty trivial at the time but that could've made the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

Looks pretty clearly to be touched by the fans with at least 1 second left. It was interesting that the officials set the game clock back to 8 seconds after the 3rd down play and subsequent timeout from SDSU when the game clocked initially showed 7 seconds after that TO.... looked pretty trivial at the time but that could've made the difference.
    Further, after watching again, SDSU QB WAS out of the tackle box....so intentional grounding clearly out of play, but this also had a receiver near it. Also just god aweful camera work; I can't see the ball at all, only the fan reacting to it.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Further, after watching again, SDSU QB WAS out of the tackle box....so intentional grounding clearly out of play, but this also had a receiver near it. Also just god aweful camera work; I can't see the ball at all, only the fan reacting to it.
    Yeah, it's tough to see the ball. It very briefly appears in the upper right part of the shot as it's coming down with 2 seconds on the clock. You can't even see where it lands but based on it's trajectory and velocity it was probably closer to 2 seconds than 0 seconds when it lands... definitely at least 1 second. And they didn't show any replays of it during the broadcast either so the only view we got was the live one.

holy shit. 2 days later watching that in its entirety....I can't stop laughing at the bunnies.. hahahahahaha
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Yeah, it's tough to see the ball. It very briefly appears in the upper right part of the shot as it's coming down with 2 seconds on the clock. You can't even see where it lands but based on it's trajectory and velocity it was probably closer to 2 seconds than 0 seconds when it lands... definitely at least 1 second. And they didn't show any replays of it during the broadcast either so the only view we got was the live one.
    Holy smokes, I see it now.....way, way further in the stands than I realized. To me, looks like 1 second about right, except for my original question, when is the ball dead.....when it hits 10 rows up in the stands for before? (Indy, thought it was way closer to receiver than this when I first posted....)

I just rewatched that part of the broadcast and they did show the replay once during the review. It was from a new angle behind and to the sideline of the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I just rewatched that part of the broadcast and they did show the replay once during the review. It was from a new angle behind and to the sideline of the QB.
    Yeah, you're right. Although from that angle I couldn't see the flight of the ball at all and they didn't sync it up with the clock so it didn't say much either way.
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; 11-15-2021 at 09:58 PM.

Now that someone pointed out you can see the ball with 2 seconds left, it was thrown much farther up in the stands than I first thought and there is no way it would take more than a second to drop into the stands. That play might have worked in Brookings where the stands are farther from the field. LOL
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Now that someone pointed out you can see the ball with 2 seconds left, it was thrown much farther up in the stands than I first thought and there is no way it would take more than a second to drop into the stands. That play might have worked in Brookings where the stands are farther from the field. LOL
    But what is the rule on clock stoppage? Particularly when you chuck it that far in the stands? Whole reason I want Indy to comment as it is a great question.