Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paging Indy on the end of the SDSU/USD game

Default Paging Indy on the end of the SDSU/USD game

Indy,

I tried looking this up myself but came up blank. I'm sure you've seen the end of the USD/SDSU game. What is the official rule as to when should the clock stop on the long pass SDSU threw into the stands on 4th down? It is when it hits the stands or once clearly not playable? I still think there was likely 1 second even when it hit the stands, but what is the official rule on clock stoppage in that situation?

Thanks,

The Internet

Default Re: Paging Indy on the end of the SDSU/USD game

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Indy,

I tried looking this up myself but came up blank. I'm sure you've seen the end of the USD/SDSU game. What is the official rule as to when should the clock stop on the long pass SDSU threw into the stands on 4th down? It is when it hits the stands or once clearly not playable? I still think there was likely 1 second even when it hit the stands, but what is the official rule on clock stoppage in that situation?

Thanks,

The Internet
    I tuned into that game right after the Bison game...was entertaining. Two Jackrabbits ejected for targeting in one game...I don't think I've seen that before. Then USD imploding with too many players on the field...game should have been over then. I was kind of expecting SDSU to run out the back of the endzone and take a safety. Then when they did what they did and time ran out I really didn't think the refs were going to add a second back. Then the icing on the cake...SDSU players happily keeping the ball in play.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I tuned into that game right after the Bison game...was entertaining. Two Jackrabbits ejected for targeting in one game...I don't think I've seen that before. Then USD imploding with too many players on the field...game should have been over then. I was kind of expecting SDSU to run out the back of the endzone and take a safety. Then when they did what they did and time ran out I really didn't think the refs were going to add a second back. Then the icing on the cake...SDSU players happily keeping the ball in play.
    Yep, moronic decision by Stig, and I did think there was a second left so I was confident they'd put it back on. In fact, I texted my daughter who was there not to leave since USD should have a hail mary chance.

I believe once it hits something. Anything. A person, ground, wall, light.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    I believe once it hits something. Anything. A person, ground, wall, light.
    That exactly what I'm getting at, but I want the rules expert to comment. To me, there is a bit of a difference when something hits in the field of play, versus the stands....when does the clock stop? Same for all? I want to see the rule quotes.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

And indy also explain why Illinois state didn't get one play at the end of the und vs Illinois state game. If you watch the play clock and game clock there should have been 2 seconds on the clock before they snapped the ball on 4th down. Doesn't the clock stop for change of possession? Not sure how you could kneel on 4th down and run the clock out?

They called timeout with one second left but if you watch the play clock if he didn't call timeout until 1 second left it should have been a delay of game penalty.

Lardsin must go!

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I have only heard about the play but haven't had a chance to look for it. Technically the pass doesn't become incomplete until it touches something OOB. If it was so far OOB that it landed in the seats maybe they have a philosophy in replay to stop it when it's obviously incomplete in those situations. I'll try to look at it this afternoon and see if I can apply some rule logic to it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I have only heard about the play but haven't had a chance to look for it. Technically the pass doesn't become incomplete until it touches something OOB. If it was so far OOB that it landed in the seats maybe they have a philosophy in replay to stop it when it's obviously incomplete in those situations. I'll try to look at it this afternoon and see if I can apply some rule logic to it.

Yep, it landed in the seats......there was zero attempt to complete it at all, and they had a receiver in the area to avoid a intentional grounding call as I do think he was in the tackle box (100% designed to kill time). I'll be very interested in your analysis on this one.....would be a phenomenal one for the ncaa video series.

just run backwards for a safety or run out the clock...
    or just quick punt it FFS
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Yep, it landed in the seats......there was zero attempt to complete it at all, and they had a receiver in the area to avoid a intentional grounding call as I do think he was in the tackle box (100% designed to kill time). I'll be very interested in your analysis on this one.....would be a phenomenal one for the ncaa video series.
    If he throws it in the seats by definition there is no receiver in the area who could catch it. They would have to be outside the pocket and bring the LOS. I guess as close as the seats are in the Fargodome that wouldn't apply if they landed in the first row. But that's an unusually tight sideline.

There was an editorial change this year that if they had flagged for intentional grounding the period could be extended for an untimed down at the option of the offended team. Previously if the clock expired on a play like this you would not extend the period if the penalty included a loss of down provision. A team could intentionally ground the ball illegally but the other team wouldn't get an untimed down. It doesn't sound like that happened here because you said there was no foul and there was 1 second on the clock.