Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
If he throws it in the seats by definition there is no receiver in the area who could catch it. They would have to be outside the pocket and bring the LOS. I guess as close as the seats are in the Fargodome that wouldn't apply if they landed in the first row. But that's an unusually tight sideline.

There was an editorial change this year that if they had flagged for intentional grounding the period could be extended for an untimed down at the option of the offended team. Previously if the clock expired on a play like this you would not extend the period if the penalty included a loss of down provision. A team could intentionally ground the ball illegally but the other team wouldn't get an untimed down. It doesn't sound like that happened here because you said there was no foul and there was 1 second on the clock.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The dakotadome is as tight as the fargodome. No foul was called. However, the clock had expired, and replay put 1 second back on so the play failed for SDSU. My interest is, say it does not hit the seat until zero (and I do think it did hit at about 1 second), when is that play dead? A lot of SDSU fans have talked themselves into the refs screwed up putting the 1 second back on the clock since the camera view is hard to see when it hits a seat.