Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT: NDSU at Youngstown State

Default Re: GDT: NDSU at Youngstown State

Ok…I gave never been any type of coach, specifically football. I just listened to TR on the radio pregame show and he was asked about 2 minute offense. TR rambles a bit and says they don’t practice 2 min drill every practice….my initial thought was WTF? He did say it’s practiced weekly(to me that’s once a week). I certainly understand practice time constraints, but is this normal? Clock management goes hand in hand with 2 minute offense, so I was very surprised to hear it’s only practiced weekly considering we suck at that.
    Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!

HS games yesterday had better play calling than NDSU.

YSU would love nothing more than knock out NDSU, see if we learned how defend a screen pass, which I doubt because we don't have them in our playbook

22-20 ndsu, because we can beat anyone if we show up, and I think we run a dumb ass 2pt conversion try on first TD.
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Ok…I gave never been any type of coach, specifically football. I just listened to TR on the radio pregame show and he was asked about 2 minute offense. TR rambles a bit and says they don’t practice 2 min drill every practice….my initial thought was WTF? He did say it’s practiced weekly(to me that’s once a week). I certainly understand practice time constraints, but is this normal? Clock management goes hand in hand with 2 minute offense, so I was very surprised to hear it’s only practiced weekly considering we suck at that.
    Our offense in general does not play with a sense of urgency or tempo anymore, whether with time running short in a half or in normal situations. Remember under Bohl (maybe Klieman??) when we made the decision to huddle closer to the ball (5 yards) so we could get tempo going, get up to LOS quicker and keep D pressured/on their heals a bit?? Hell, now we wait to make sure the D is lined up where they want to be before we even start our work on O. It’s almost like we ask the D: “Are you ready?” before we get started running our play.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

None of this surprises me from watching them
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

I listened to the same thing and had the same thought, to me he would have said we practice it a couple/few times a week if it was more than once. Could however just be a case of what he said compared to what he was trying to say or actually means.
    The one thing that did stand out to me, was his statement about the mistakes made in the game. He never made it seem like the coaches failed to get the team ready for those problems, but came across as if it was the players faults. I would think that a coach would have the players backs under any circumstances by stating the coaches failed to get them ready to handle things and that the coaches needed to do a better job of putting the team in a better position. Yes, a player can screw up on his own and do something bone headed, but the coach is suppose to ultimately be aware of the player and their tendencies and keep them in check. To the best of my knowledge Craig B and Chris K did not deflect problems towards players, but always made it seem like the staff needed to do better.
    From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Our offense in general does not play with a sense of urgency or tempo anymore, whether with time running short in a half or in normal situations. Remember under Bohl (maybe Klieman??) when we made the decision to huddle closer to the ball (5 yards) so we could get tempo going, get up to LOS quicker and keep D pressured/on their heals a bit?? Hell, now we wait to make sure the D is lined up where they want to be before we even start our work on O. It’s almost like we ask the D: “Are you ready?” before we get started running our play.
    This^^^^^^^
    Any kid playing playground football understands the 2 minute drill. At the college level (player or coach) watches pro football or other college games and sees a hurry up offense dozens of times every weekend and at the very least has a inkling of what is going on or what to do. Just fricking hurry up.And run something and screw what the defense is doing.

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    I listened to the same thing and had the same thought, to me he would have said we practice it a couple/few times a week if it was more than once. Could however just be a case of what he said compared to what he was trying to say or actually means.
    The one thing that did stand out to me, was his statement about the mistakes made in the game. He never made it seem like the coaches failed to get the team ready for those problems, but came across as if it was the players faults. I would think that a coach would have the players backs under any circumstances by stating the coaches failed to get them ready to handle things and that the coaches needed to do a better job of putting the team in a better position. Yes, a player can screw up on his own and do something bone headed, but the coach is suppose to ultimately be aware of the player and their tendencies and keep them in check. To the best of my knowledge Craig B and Chris K did not deflect problems towards players, but always made it seem like the staff needed to do better.
    Coaches directly or passively putting blame on players is starting to become a trend. I don't like it one bit and it's definitely not the NDSU culture that we as fans have seen.

It also is starting to shed some light on the leadership style of our staff. More caveman and less leader.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TAILG8R; 11-13-2021 at 03:27 PM.

SDSU hangover today? I hate the thought of that entering my mind.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Coaches directly or passively putting blame on players is starting to become a trend. I don't like it one but and it's definitely not the NDSU culture that we as fans have seen.

It also is starting to shed some light on the leadership style of our staff. More caveman and less leader.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Caveman mentality.
    "I want Cheesecake.
    But Gronk, all we have is this rock to eat.
    Well hit it with your club.
    Did that, it is still a rock.
    Well keep hitting it until it turns into Cheesecake"!

Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    An example is the play call on 1st and 2 at the SDSU goal line and we go under center and pull the guard on the same side as Cam pivots out to after the snap (which was a reverse pivot—meaning away from where action was going) knowing (or at least coaches should have) that SDSU’s Dline is going to try to penetrate/push LOS back. Had the play call been for Cam to pivot away from pulling guard (who ended up having to get more depth because of SDSU Dline push), the contact between guard/Cam/ball would not have happened, and no fumble. Just a poor, poor play call in that situation. We should have just used 12 personnel and got the eff after SDSU rather than running an overly complex play that requires perfect timing and movement to be effective. Still shacking my head ....

Yet coaches won’t self-reflect and admit that was a stupid play call in that situation. Just frustrating.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.