Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thought experiment: What would the NCAA look like without the P5

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Thought experiment: What would the NCAA look like without the P5

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    "Of 90 NCAA championships, only five (all in Division I) generate at least as much money as they cost to run: men’s basketball, men’s ice hockey, men’s lacrosse, wrestling and baseball." https://www.ncaa.org/about/where-does-money-go
    I knew hockey being one of the five would upset some around here. Baseball obviously due to the College World Series. Wrestling gets great crowds for their championship meet. Lacrosse benefits from short travel since they're teens are concentrated. Hockey gets good crowds from their rabid, niche fan base.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    So what changes? Do you think that the NCAA would just stop having championships?
    Could scale them back? Sponsor fewer sports? Smaller tournaments? Require the universities to start covering costs?

Who knows?
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I knew hockey being one of the five would upset some around here. Baseball obviously due to the College World Series. Wrestling gets great crowds for their championship meet. Lacrosse benefits from short travel since they're teens are concentrated. Hockey gets good crowds from their rabid, niche fan base.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I'd have gotten two of five (BB, MIH).
    I might have come up with baseball given time.
    Forgot about the rabid lax crowds out east (they filled the Eagles' stadium once).

But I must tip my cap to wresting: Well done, grappler fans.

So what changes? Do you think that the NCAA would just stop having championships?
    If all the media attention (and dollars and eyeballs) is gobbled up by the "Semi-Pro 5Ports League", how would those NCAA events be funded, covered?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    If all the media attention (and dollars and eyeballs) is gobbled up by the "Semi-Pro 5Ports League", how would those NCAA events be funded, covered?
    There are a ton of ways: A surcharge on attendance would be one way. I believe that the NCAA has investment income too. 1000 colleges and universities acting together make the P5 look pretty small in a lot of ways.

I just don't see any scenario in which the P5 semipro league does anything good for college athletics. And I'm not sure a P5-only BB tournament would outgun the non-P5 BB tournament in the short or long term. It might be time to call the P5's bluff instead of constantly making concession after concession to them.

But the thought experiment is: What would happen if the P5 was kicked out of the NCAA.

There are a ton of ways: A surcharge on attendance would be one way. I believe that the NCAA has investment income too. 1000 colleges and universities acting together make the P5 look pretty small in a lot of ways.

I just don't see any scenario in which the P5 semipro league does anything good for college athletics. And I'm not sure a P5-only BB tournament would outgun the non-P5 BB tournament in the short or long term. It might be time to call the P5's bluff instead of constantly making concession after concession to them.

But the thought experiment is: What would happen if the P5 was kicked out of the NCAA.
    Here's an idea......a fully regionalized FCS football bracket to save money..... /micdrop

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Here's an idea......a fully regionalized FCS football bracket to save money..... /micdrop
    Don't really see that happening.

Reasoning: If there is no P5, DI would unified football playoff. I don't see the G5 going small time like that.

Point of clarification: "Kicked out" or "Evacuated of their own volition"?

Those two are vary different.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Point of clarification: "Kicked out" or "Evacuated of their own volition"?

Those two are vary different.
    You can choose your own adventure on that point.

The NAIA...