Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thought experiment: What would the NCAA look like without the P5

Default Thought experiment: What would the NCAA look like without the P5

I think there are around 2000 schools in the NCAA system. How do you think it would it change if they told the P5 to either calm their tits or pack it up?

Default Re: Thought experiment: What would the NCAA look like without the P5

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I think there are around 2000 schools in the NCAA system. How do you think it would it change if they told the P5 to either calm their tits or pack it up?
    Honestly, I believe the P5 would walk and take all the television money with them. The remnants would become not much more than club sports thereafter.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Honestly, I believe the P5 would walk and take all the television money with them. The remnants would become not much more than club sports thereafter.
    I agree. 85% of the NCAA revenue comes from one source...March Madness. It would be very difficult for any other sport to conduct a championship without this money. Regular season contests can still happen to the extent they aren't funded by any revenue sharing from the NCAA, but it would be much more difficult to fund the championships of all the other sports. I think the P5 presidents realize that and the impact it would have on college athletics in general.

It may still work in some format but I can't predict what it would look like if it survived.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    So? There are 1000 schools getting about $100 and a coupon to McDonalds from all this TV money and every time the rules change, they are changed to make sure the P5 gets to keep more of the TV money. Maybe it's time to read the writing the wall and try to build outside of a structure in which the P5 crushes any attempt at a level playing field.

A lot of BB money would go away initially, but I think that with the right NCAA leadership, there's a big growth opportunity.

So? There are 1000 schools getting about $100 and a coupon to McDonalds from all this TV money and every time the rules change, they are changed to make sure the P5 gets to keep more of the TV money. Maybe it's time to read the writing the wall and try to build outside of a structure in which the P5 crushes any attempt at a level playing field.

A lot of BB money would go away initially, but I think that with the right NCAA leadership, there's a big growth opportunity.
    I'm not sure how much of the BB TV money goes directly to schools. My assumption is most of it goes to the championships in an the other sports. I'm sure there is some allocation to conferences that trickle down to school's general budgets.

A good friend of mine used to be a director at the NCAA. He told me only 5 of the 90 NCAA championships (D1 to D3) are fully self funded. I've shared that here before but can anyone name the 5? The others are all funded at least partially by other revenue and largely the NCAA basketball tournament money.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I'm not sure how much of the BB TV money goes directly to schools. My assumption is most of it goes to the championships in an the other sports. I'm sure there is some allocation to conferences that trickle down to school's general budgets.

A good friend of mine used to be a director at the NCAA. He told me only 5 of the 90 NCAA championships (D1 to D3) are fully self funded. I've shared that here before but can anyone name the 5? The others are all funded at least partially by other revenue and largely the NCAA basketball tournament money.

"Of 90 NCAA championships, only five (all in Division I) generate at least as much money as they cost to run: men’s basketball, men’s ice hockey, men’s lacrosse, wrestling and baseball." https://www.ncaa.org/about/where-does-money-go

Don't we have a number of FCS teams at schools that are only in division I so they get more money from the NCAA? It seems like the only difference between D-II and the bottom 1/2 of D-I is that the D-I schools offer more sports than DII.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post

It's OK to not be OK.

The NCAA already gave them autonomy. They are making good money being administrators for them.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Don't we have a number of FCS teams at schools that are only in division I so they get more money from the NCAA? It seems like the only difference between D-II and the bottom 1/2 of D-I is that the D-I schools offer more sports than DII.
    I don't believe the money is directly from the NCAA. I believe some of it comes from money the conferences receive from their media deals. Some could be distribution from the NCAA basketball money to conferences that advance. Remember the Summit gets money when any team advances. I'm not sure if teams that weren't part of the conference when that happened benefit. It may vary by conference.

Most of the revenue the NCAA generates is distributed to fund their championships and programs. They aren't sitting on a large volume of cash. Their staff is relatively small and most are well under paid what they could be doing elsewhere. It can be a cool place to work but lots of night and weekend work that isn't very glamorous.

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    "Of 90 NCAA championships, only five (all in Division I) generate at least as much money as they cost to run: men’s basketball, men’s ice hockey, men’s lacrosse, wrestling and baseball." https://www.ncaa.org/about/where-does-money-go
    So what changes? Do you think that the NCAA would just stop having championships?