Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Our offensive identity is lost

Default Re: Our offensive identity is lost

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I'm not ready to go that far. I think he's adequate with the potential but to be very good as a head coach but he needed to hire an experienced offensive coach to run his offense since he has very little experience on that side of the ball. I still think Roehl could be a good OC some day but he was not the right hire at the right time. Hedberg would've been the better choice but the best choice was likely to bring in someone from outside of the previous coaching staff if they weren't retaining Messingham.
    Hedberg is Associate HC and QB coach, pretty sure he has some input in the Offense, which why I'm wondering wtf is going on, is TR such a blockhead he won't listen, or is the whole staff fucking blind now.

Its very strange, imo
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    The Oline has been bad for two years now. We get no push against good teams, none. SDSU was able to get pressure all day with four which is sad. Maybe our oline coach needs to go, but I am no expert in that area. Plus they had terrible penalties today. Phil was going nuts on the radio.
    Our run scheme is simpleton. Defenses can T off at snap. That makes things very difficult for the Oline.

Would really like to see us implement a toss sweep if we are going to continue with what we are doing inside the tackles. We aren’t giving our Oline a fair chance IMO.

And, not to mention that we have only 1 elite RB .... that we use as a blocker and TE way more than as a RB.

If I were head coach, I would be looking at my entire roster, sans linemen, to find players who were great RBs in HS, and give all of them a fair look at RB. Think about it ... every team we play has at least 1, if not 2, better RBs than we do.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Our run scheme is simpleton. Defenses can T off at snap. That makes things very difficult for the Oline.

Would really like to see us implement a toss sweep if we are going to continue with what we are doing inside the tackles. We aren’t giving out Oline a fair chance IMO.

And, not to mention that we have only 1 elite RB .... that we use as a blocker and TE way more than as a RB.

If I we’re headed coach, I would be looking at my entire roster, sans linemen, to find players who were great RBs in HS, and give all of them a fair look at RB. Think about it ... every team we play had at least 1, if not 2, better RBs than we do.
    I agree on the RBs but I can’t fathom why we don’t use Bussey o thirds downs and swing it to him periodically in the flat. I have been saying this for years. Phil was saying today on the radio as well.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I'm not ready to go that far. I think he's adequate with the potential but to be very good as a head coach but he needed to hire an experienced offensive coach to run his offense since he has very little experience on that side of the ball. I still think Roehl could be a good OC some day but he was not the right hire at the right time. Hedberg would've been the better choice but the best choice was likely to bring in someone from outside of the previous coaching staff if they weren't retaining Messingham.
    I blame that 4th down td on entz not calling timeout. Shit he calls a timeout and they probably kick a field goal there. No excuse. He was just as baffled as the defense and got hung up watching the game. That's not a great coach. And he's had time to practice calling timeouts by now. And then when he does decide to use them it's odd timing as well.

Lardsin must go!

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

John Crockett was the last feature back we've really had. Young healthy Bruce would have could have but it didn't work out. We've gone so long now with this running back by committee that I feel it hurts the recruiting. Tyler Roehl is really going to hurt recruiting real soon. No way Watson and the tight ends can be happy about what happens on Saturdays.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    I agree on the RBs but I can’t fathom why we don’t use Bussey o thirds downs and swing it to him periodically in the flat. I have been saying this for years. Phil was saying today on the radio as well.
    Yeah! Toss him the ball in space and let him make a play.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    John Crockett was the last feature back we've really had. Young healthy Bruce would have could have but it didn't work out. We've gone so long now with this running back by committee that I feel it hurts the recruiting. Tyler Roehl is really going to hurt recruiting real soon. No way Watson and the tight ends can be happy about what happens on Saturdays.
    Lance Dunn, but that really just supports your point
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    The defense did enough to win. The offense did not.
    Did you watch the 1st half? Our defense didn't start playing the game until midway through the 3rd. We gave up 140+ yards on like 9 carries including 75 on the 2nd play of the game. The defense sucked today.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    Lance Dunn, but that really just supports your point
    I remember him subbing out every play too with Bruce, Frazier, Morlock

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Why do so many of our run plays take FOREVER to develop?

Watching the QB extend his arm as far as it goes and then run 5 yards to hand the ball off so the RB gets met 3-4 yards deep in the backfield is a painful thing to watch 12-15 times a game.

The thing is, with a great online that could still work but to see the same results 50+ times this year and not adjust ... that is why so many of us think Roehl isn't very good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Exactly. From a QB perspective, a power sweep is the same play. The QB is giving the ball to the back, and can't change his mind based on post snap reads because his head is turned! Why not do the quick toss, and let the back get up to speed while the blocking is still intact!!!