Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Our offensive identity is lost

Default Re: Our offensive identity is lost

So at the end of the regular season these are where NDSU sits in FCS national ranks in the major offensive stat categories:

Points per game: 35.3 (13th)
    Yards per game: 431.9 (20th)
    Yards per play: 7.14 (3rd)
    Rush yards per game: 271.8 (3rd)
    Yards per carry: 6.35 (1st)
    Pass yards per game: 160.1 (108th)
    Yards per pass attempt: 9.08 (4th)
    Team passing efficiency: 161.35 (5th)
    3rd down conversion %: 45.7% (9th)
    Redzone score %: 80.4% (60th)
    Redzone TD %: 65.2% (39th)
    Average time of possession: 31:19 (31st)

Some things like redzone efficiency could use some improvement but in general the offense really came around by the end of the year and looking at their entire body of work this was a surprisingly good season. Comparing them to past Bison teams going back to 2011 those yards per carry and rush yards per game numbers are better than any regular season other than 2019. The yards per play number and yards per pass attempt numbers are better than any regular season other than 2018 and 2019. Still some work to do to keep pace with those teams but I'll gladly take a few bites of crow and tip my hat to the offensive coaches and players for drowning out the outside noise and just executing at a high level especially towards the latter part of the year.

Red zone efficiency is the biggest thing I called out. NDSU was in position to turn a few more games into blowouts but didn't mid season. Glad to see Tuddies the past two games piling up.

Uhhhh... If we keep this up, I think we can retire this thread.

THAT BEING SAID....

I think the loudest critique is the "prevent offense" against good teams. It remains to be seen if that has been fixed but damn, our offense looked incredible against USD.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

I hope folks appreciate just how much impact QB play has on making a a OC look good. Example, the Phoenix Sproles TD was a "smoke" meaning Cam saw the matchup and CB positioning, and just winged it out there on a audible.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I hope folks appreciate just how much impact QB play has on making a a OC look good. Example, the Phoenix Sproles TD was a "smoke" meaning Cam saw the matchup and CB positioning, and just winged it out there on a audible.
    CORRECT.

We all thought Roehl was the greatest OC on the planet with Trey under center. The Jimmys and Joes are at twice as important as the Xs and Os IMO.

When we are hitting on all cylinders and have our jimmys and Joes, And the other team has theirs, is where the Xs and Os make a hell of a difference.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

The fact that is was an audible also makes the OC look good. QB (and WR) was taught what to look for, what to call when he see it, and was given the trust to make the play.
    The white jerseys are the best. Don't even bother to argue.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Taking what the defense is giving you. That’s why Cam was 19-23!

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Bridge Guy View Post
    The fact that is was an audible also makes the OC look good. QB (and WR) was taught what to look for, what to call when he see it, and was given the trust to make the play.
    100% agree.....and why I posted it. I think QP2 was dragging TR down. He was limited in what he could call, and the lack of QB play changes.

100% agree.....and why I posted it. I think QP2 was dragging TR down. He was limited in what he could call, and the lack of QB play changes.
    Yep, this absolutely. What we've seen at the end of the season is what we wanted to see all year long. Hence the complaining. Stats ended up very good, those last two games were ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

The 2021 team finishes the season with a per game rushing average of 280.6 and a per rush average of 6.2 (only the 2018 and 2019 teams were better since the run began and barely). I'd say they found their identity quite well.