Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: SDSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Default Re: SDSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

I might be dumb as fuck but man that would have been a great place to use one of those collector timeouts. Fuck.

Lardsin must go!

You have to give credit to the jack’s OC (barf). That was a must-win game for them. Does he have deep ties to that program? I wonder if he’ll be the HC when they follow us to FBS in a few years.

Rather lose to them now than when they come to the dome in the playoffs, that’s for sure. D stepped up in the 2nd half. G-Funky might be on to something tho.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Tyler Roehl is on the hot seat for the rest of the year. period. end of story. we know it. he knows it. He better come out with some changes.

if I see a QB delayed draw again this year, I'm gonna boo the shit out of it

Play action, roll out & hit a FUCKING RB/TE in the flat. easy peasy.

show me some screens, it's not against the law to do 2-3 / game.

Oh. you have 66 67 height at TE. Tony Gonzalez their asses by having them run 7 yards and boxing out a LB/Safety

Do we have Watson Slant In the playbook AT ALL??
    Rarely agree with anything you post but the Jacks converted 3rd and long twice with the screen and another with a wr slant over the middle.
    I don’t think we have that stuff in our playbook!

From what I understand regarding roughing the punter posted at https://www.dfoa.com/wp-content/uplo...B-Rulebook.pdf, it doesn't matter if the snap hit the ground or if the punter drops the ball. He is still protected inside the tackle box and I can't remember if he ran far enough to the right to be outside of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I glanced through this thread and saw a couple rules questions. I did not see either play so I can't speak to whether or not the call/no call is correct.

Running into/Roughing Rugby-style kicker
    There are 3 ways a kicker loses his protection from roughing/running into. First, a quick kick by someone who isn't normally the kicker because it's not obvious a kick will be attempted. Similarly if a snap is bounced to the kicker or muffed, if it's not obvious he's going to kick it, he loses his protection. Second, if the kicker has had adequate time to protect himself. He's not protected from roughing for the entire down. Finally he loses his protection when he runs outside the tackle box before kicking it. You could still have a personal foul for a late hit or targeting, etc.

One thing I'll add that often plays into determining foul/no foul when the kicker muffs the snap or starts running but stays in the tackle box. The question of whether or not it's obvious a kick will be made. If the defender is doing something that appears to be blocking a kick, it's pretty obvious he knew a kick would be attempted. The action of blocking a kick and tackling a runner are very different. Lots of tricks like that to help us make those quick judgement calls.

DPI on player out of bounds
    DPI can only happen on an eligible receiver. A receiver loses eligibility if he goes OOB on his own. If he went OOB on his own then he's no longer eligible. If he was pushed out he must return immediately so if he didn't do that he would also be ineligible. If the defender is holding him preventing him from coming back you could have defensive holding or a personal foul because a defender is not allowed to initiate a block when the blocker is OOB. If this was a potential DPI situation catchability can be a factor, but the threshold for that is pretty high. If the receiver is running OOB already (either on his own or being pushed) it's not likely he's going to be able to catch a pass. If he gets back in bounds and has a chance to catch it you could have a PI.

There are many factors to consider here and a combination of several rules. Ultimately it could also come down to advantage/disadvantage. Just because he defender may restrict an eligible receiver doesn't mean that contact prevented the receiver from having an an opportunity to catch the ass. The picture shared is very likely a restriction when a jersey is pulled that far, but I've seen a lot of jersey tugs that took no steps away from the receiver.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    From what I understand regarding roughing the punter posted at https://www.dfoa.com/wp-content/uplo...B-Rulebook.pdf, it doesn't matter if the snap hit the ground or if the punter drops the ball. He is still protected inside the tackle box and I can't remember if he ran far enough to the right to be outside of the box.
    As a practical matter, how is a defender rushing upfield supposed to keep track of the boundaries of the tackle box? Just pointing out this is an area of the rulebook that places defensive players in a bind. Probably is erroring on the side of player safety which is understandable, but the rugby style kicking seems to stretch the rulebook to the limit to take advantage of a ruling that is difficult for defenders to abide by without risk of game changing penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Sean McVay just took responsibility for the Rams offensive woes. HC Entz/OC Roehl hint hint

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Step 1 is admitting you have a problem.

Death, taxes, Stig using a trick play vs NDSU.

We will regroup and beat their ass in the playoffs.

Well that sucked, I have to say.

BUT

When we give them a complete freebie opening touchdown, play prevent offense the whole game, gift another TD in the first half with 2 drive extending penalties, SDSU pulling 15-20 trick plays, and still having a chance to tie at the end?

Given the circumstances, we should have lost by 3-4 TDs. As dumb as this sounds, I thought our defense looked excellent outside of the strong opening run and the drive extending penalties.

Playoffs we rip them limb from limb
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post

BUT

When we give them a complete freebie opening touchdown, play prevent offense the whole game, gift another TD in the first half with 2 drive extending penalties, SDSU pulling 15-20 trick plays, and still having a chance to tie at the end?

Given the circumstances, we should have lost by 3-4 TDs. As dumb as this sounds, I thought our defense looked excellent outside of the strong opening run and the drive extending penalties.

Sums up my take aways as well. Outside of the big run and frustrating extended drive, defense played well and limited the cost of the poor play of the offense and kept us in the game. Offense has more systemic issues with inefficiency in the redzone. They need to figure out how to put it in the endzone when they get in scoring position. Bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post

BUT

I like this post and have had similar thoughts. I don't have the confidence this year that I have in the past. We've got the talent but don't know if we have the discipline, self discipline, coaching or healthy players to do it.