Page 53 of 106 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU to CUSA

Default Re: NDSU to CUSA

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I just don't get the faith people have in this scenario. The MWC just went through almost losing Boise, CSU, and Air Force. In anticipation of possibly losing those schools, other schools were considered. Lots of leaks coming out of schools and MWC about who might be looked at. No interest in NDSU when they were going to lose CSU and AF. What makes you think there will be interest in NDSU in 3 years IF and when they lose BSU and SDSU? Heck, if they are willing to bring up FCS teams, UC Davis might be really good and they're brought up. Or maybe the Montanas. Most people think they'll take UTEP and possibly NMSU or Texas State. Maybe Tulsa . They're pretty clear that they don't want to go to the Dakotas. They have had chances to signal interest in our direction already, and they refuse to. Maybe we are more attractive if we are already FBS and have success at that level. But just treading water waiting for the MWC to call, when the call hasn't come already and probably won't ever come, is a commitment to remaining in FCS while the college playoffs expand, payouts expand, and FBS membership gets locked down. Bad idea folks. But whatever. Like others, I'm getting tired of making the same arguments.

Some of you on the FCS side have got to be trolling the FBS crowd just for kicks to rile us up. It has to be trolling, because you're making such patently ridiculous arguments about standing fast and being patient for FBS, when we should have made a move years ago. Sure let's wait another decade. Then when we're finally ready to move, oops... looks like there's another NCAA moratorium on moving up. So we have to wait another 4-5 years after that. Then we finally move up. Oh...but we have a transition period where we are ineligible for post-season. Currently 2 years. Maybe longer at that point. By the time we play in decent FBS bowls, many of us will be dead--like, literally. The remaining NDSU football fanbase will be a narrow, niche crowd with no relevance to the broader college football world. And everyone will look back and say, we should have moved up 20 years ago.
    Scanning for lies..... None detected.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I feel as others here do that this is our best chance to move up, and doing so would be a tremendous risk. I agree that MW would be ideal, but that won't happen as long as we are FCS. I am going to go ahead and assume our leadership has had some conversations that signal whether or not this is the case. I'll host watch parties from afar and tailgate/go to games every chance I get, regardless of subdivision. But I do fear we've lost momentum at this point and are starting to slide back toward the pack.
    Co-founder of the Bluegrass Bison crew, Kev’s bag holder.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    MAC presidents meeting today:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/KyleRowla...96154943033351

Presidents don't meet except to rubberstamp set agreements. MTSU and EKU to the MAC seems done deal.
    Well you can count on CUSA dipping back into the FCS for more schools if that is the case.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I just don't get the faith people have in this scenario. The MWC just went through almost losing Boise, CSU, and Air Force. In anticipation of possibly losing those schools, other schools were considered. Lots of leaks coming out of schools and MWC about who might be looked at. No interest in NDSU when they were going to lose CSU and AF. What makes you think there will be interest in NDSU in 3 years IF and when they lose BSU and SDSU? Heck, if they are willing to bring up FCS teams, UC Davis might be really good and they're brought up. Or maybe the Montanas. Most people think they'll take UTEP and possibly NMSU or Texas State. Maybe Tulsa . They're pretty clear that they don't want to go to the Dakotas. They have had chances to signal interest in our direction already, and they refuse to. Maybe we are more attractive if we are already FBS and have success at that level. But just treading water waiting for the MWC to call, when the call hasn't come already and probably won't ever come, is a commitment to remaining in FCS while the college playoffs expand, payouts expand, and FBS membership gets locked down. Bad idea folks. But whatever. Like others, I'm getting tired of making the same arguments.

Some of you on the FCS side have got to be trolling the FBS crowd just for kicks to rile us up. It has to be trolling, because you're making such patently ridiculous arguments about standing fast and being patient for FBS, when we should have made a move years ago. Sure let's wait another decade. Then when we're finally ready to move, oops... looks like there's another NCAA moratorium on moving up. So we have to wait another 4-5 years after that. Then we finally move up. Oh...but we have a transition period where we are ineligible for post-season. Currently 2 years. Maybe longer at that point. By the time we play in decent FBS bowls, many of us will be dead--like, literally. The remaining NDSU football fanbase will be a narrow, niche crowd with no relevance to the broader college football world. And everyone will look back and say, we should have moved up 20 years ago.
    These people keep thinking we are dealing in a position of strength when we really aren't. They are the same people that seem to think if the P5 and G5 split that they would let us waltz right in and run the show. Getting into the MWC even if they lose schools is still a 50/50 shot at best because they will want an all sports member which is only going to worsen our geographical situation. The whole attraction to CUSA for most of us is that maybe we can leverage their need into a football only spot. Financially that is a much easier transition and could be a nice bridge into a better situation if one arrises. Just like the Great West was.

I did listen to 1660 today and it was refreshing to hear Jeff say we don't need to concern ourselves with what schools like SDSU want to do, we need to do what is best for NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    These people keep thinking we are dealing in a position of strength when we really aren't. They are the same people that seem to think if the P5 and G5 split that they would let us waltz right in and run the show. Getting into the MWC even if they lose schools is still a 50/50 shot at best because they will want an all sports member which is only going to worsen our geographical situation. The whole attraction to CUSA for most of us is that maybe we can leverage their need into a football only spot. Financially that is a much easier transition and could be a nice bridge into a better situation if one arrises. Just like the Great West was.

I did listen to 1660 today and it was refreshing to hear Jeff say we don't need to concern ourselves with what schools like SDSU want to do, we need to do what is best for NDSU.
    If that split happens, the bowls go to with the P5 and the G5 has to just become the FCS.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    As has been stated 1,000 times, NDSU has to be invited to a conference. No president or AD can make a conference offer an invite. Conference usa likely does not even want NDSU for the obvious reason, location. They are already spread far east to west. No way they want to expand this far north.
    How do you know they don't want to expand this far north? Did anyone ask them? Really, just the name of the conference implies they'd come up here. After all it's Conference-USA. It's not Conference South, it's not Conference South West, it's Conference-USA. They'll cover the whole country.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    If that split happens, the bowls go to with the P5 and the G5 has to just become the FCS.
    G5 could have their own playoff, they would probably take some FCS programs but it would be on their terms. There is no way they want to associate with most of the trash that is the FCS.

I still doubt a split happens, the P5 is content with giving the G5 scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    G5 could have their own playoff, they would probably take some FCS programs but it would be on their terms. There is no way they want to associate with most of the trash that is the FCS.

I still doubt a split happens, the P5 is content with giving the G5 scraps.
    That's what I mean, the top of the G5 is going to get hoovered up by the P5, it's already happening.

The rest belong with us in the 2nd tier, which will be a NCAA playoff.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

That's what I mean, the top of the G5 is going to get hoovered up by the P5, it's already happening.

I think that's where the disagreement/discussion lies. You feel the bottom of the G5 will come back to FCS and others, including myself, feel that we need to go to them. The G5 has more power than the FCS. Whether that's real or just perception is irrelevant. They are going to play that card and they are going to dictate the terms of any such merger. It makes it easier for NDSU if we are already in the G5 group prior to any split or shift happening. We would be in the group that has leverage. If we stay in the FCS we may have saved a few more dollars along the way but we will definitely be playing by someone else's rules at that point as well. Not too mention the decline that may result to our program between now and then.

The P5 has taken about all it wants, there might be several schools left that it may or may not want. I think you would see a completely seperate playoff entirely, that has nothing to do with the NCAA. The NCAA isn't really needed when you have a core of schools that aren't defacto D2 or D3 programs like the FCS has in regards to several conferences. Best to leave that trash out of the picture entirely.

You would basically have a handful of Big Sky, MVFC and CAA schools left that the G5 would want anything to do with. The G5 is doing just as much hoovering if not more than the P5 is doing. JMU was losing $600k in the playoffs as it was, do you think they want to go back to the NCAA's shitty way of doing things because a D3 in DI program like Dayton wants a seat that table? Zero chance of that, really we shouldn't be putting up with it either.