Page 75 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU to CUSA

Default Re: NDSU to CUSA

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    soooo Matt Larson & Dean just gonna keep their heads down and hope all of this FBS talk just goes away huh??

UMASS AD/Pres at least pitched itself to the CUSA . https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2021...mford-football
    When you called or e mailed them about this, what was their response?
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    When you called or e mailed them about this, what was their response?
    "have your people call our people"
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Read an article about FIU letting Butch Davis go. Davis did not have anything good to say about the institutional support of FIU. It mentioned using old pads from Miss St and 9 year old jerseys. Not a good look for CUSA. Link may not work but USA Today had better version than ESPN

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/8623122002

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    9 teams in CUSA.

Adding NDSU & Missouri State & UMASS = 12 get it done.
    OK name the 12 teams again. I can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    OK name the 12 teams again. I can't keep up.
    Hello, I have been reading your board for awhile since a couple of Bison fans came to the MW board calling for a football only invitation for NDSU. I have no problem with ambition. My school moved up to D1A 30 years ago. I can speak to how hard a slog it is to get established, maintain competitiveness and move up the conference ladder. I am not saying that NDSU can't be a success if they move up, they can. But it ain't easy..Even Boise struggled early on. The Big West was a good starter conference and the WAC was a step up But BSU and Nevada had to go through that to even get a chance at the MW.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to stick up for the MW a bit as I have seen a number of misconceptions aired here and on other boards.

Number 1..No school in the MW is afraid to play NDSU or worried that the Bison would dominate the conference from day one. Past history refutes that notion. The conference invited TCU and Boise fully understanding they would be top football programs..They wanted that..

2. There seems to be a notion that Hawaii is some sort of special deal and that NDSU's location should not be a problem. Hawaii pays up to 900 thousand bucks a football season in travel subsidies. They also do not receive a full share of the tv revenue. They make up for this by having an exclusive deal with a Hawaii based network. In addition, I believe they pay subsidies to the Big West to house their Olympic Sports.

The problem for NDSU is the MW would not extend a football only invitation unless you were willing to pay like Hawaii. If not Hawaii would likely sue the MW..and win..

There are other issues for NDSU. The MW already has 12 schools and is not looking to add any school at this time. If schools leave in the future there might be interest in expanding but the original MW had 8 schools and the most successful version had 9. Less than 12 works just fine. The conference got to 12 kind of by accident when Boise State and San Diego State left the (10 football, 9 Oly sports) MW, for the Big East, the conference added 2 so there would be 9 Oly sports schools. Things didn't work out for Boise and SDSU and they were welcomed back to the MW

The other problem for you has nothing to do with your fine football program. The California and Nevada schools would not be in favor of giving you an all sports invitation. Nobody wants to send their non revenue sports to Fargo. Nothing against your town or your airport but it is expensive to fly to small airports..

Finally, the MW is not an ESPN conference and quite unlikely to be one again anytime soon. Fox and CBS are our providers and we have side deals with stadium to provide streaming. The main appeal to the providers is the PST and MST time slots. The Pac 12 has their own network so if providers want those time slots they look to the MW. It means night games, which sucks, but that is the deal. I believe Fargo is in the CST zone. There are jillions of schools in CST.

The bottom line is NDSU does not offer anything the MW doesn't already have. That is no slight on NDSU but it means that the MW is neither arrogant or unreasonable in any of these expansion scenarios. They aren't desperate either..

I wish you luck..Though I really enjoyed the Big Sky days, the reality is either grow or wither..My school was where you are now and I understand the frustration.

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    Hello, I have been reading your board for awhile since a couple of Bison fans came to the MW board calling for a football only invitation for NDSU. I have no problem with ambition. My school moved up to D1A 30 years ago. I can speak to how hard a slog it is to get established, maintain competitiveness and move up the conference ladder. I am not saying that NDSU can't be a success if they move up, they can. But it ain't easy..Even Boise struggled early on. The Big West was a good starter conference and the WAC was a step up But BSU and Nevada had to go through that to even get a chance at the MW.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to stick up for the MW a bit as I have seen a number of misconceptions aired here and on other boards.

Number 1..No school in the MW is afraid to play NDSU or worried that the Bison would dominate the conference from day one. Past history refutes that notion. The conference invited TCU and Boise fully understanding they would be top football programs..They wanted that..

2. There seems to be a notion that Hawaii is some sort of special deal and that NDSU's location should not be a problem. Hawaii pays up to 900 thousand bucks a football season in travel subsidies. They also do not receive a full share of the tv revenue. They make up for this by having an exclusive deal with a Hawaii based network. In addition, I believe they pay subsidies to the Big West to house their Olympic Sports.

The problem for NDSU is the MW would not extend a football only invitation unless you were willing to pay like Hawaii. If not Hawaii would likely sue the MW..and win..

There are other issues for NDSU. The MW already has 12 schools and is not looking to add any school at this time. If schools leave in the future there might be interest in expanding but the original MW had 8 schools and the most successful version had 9. Less than 12 works just fine. The conference got to 12 kind of by accident when Boise State and San Diego State left the (10 football, 9 Oly sports) MW, for the Big East, the conference added 2 so there would be 9 Oly sports schools. Things didn't work out for Boise and SDSU and they were welcomed back to the MW

The other problem for you has nothing to do with your fine football program. The California and Nevada schools would not be in favor of giving you an all sports invitation. Nobody wants to send their non revenue sports to Fargo. Nothing against your town or your airport but it is expensive to fly to small airports..

Finally, the MW is not an ESPN conference and quite unlikely to be one again anytime soon. Fox and CBS are our providers and we have side deals with stadium to provide streaming. The main appeal to the providers is the PST and MST time slots. The Pac 12 has their own network so if providers want those time slots they look to the MW. It means night games, which sucks, but that is the deal. I believe Fargo is in the CST zone. There are jillions of schools in CST.

The bottom line is NDSU does not offer anything the MW doesn't already have. That is no slight on NDSU but it means that the MW is neither arrogant or unreasonable in any of these expansion scenarios. They aren't desperate either..

I wish you luck..Though I really enjoyed the Big Sky days, the reality is either grow or wither..My school was where you are now and I understand the frustration.
    How dare you come on here and make sense!!!!! The people that know everything on here are going to argue with you until they are right.
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

I hear you on MWC, it is a pipe dream. I still think our admin should be leveraging CUSA for a football only deal, not sure we will get a football only spot any other way in an FBS conference. SDSU can come with or they can whither away with the rest of the FCS puds. NDSU just needs to get out, prove itself and perhaps bigger and better things could come out of it.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I hear you on MWC, it is a pipe dream. I still think our admin should be leveraging CUSA for a football only deal, not sure we will get a football only spot any other way in an FBS conference. SDSU can come with or they can whither away with the rest of the FCS puds. NDSU just needs to get out, prove itself and perhaps bigger and better things could come out of it.
    SDSU isn't going anywhere. That is from a pretty credible source that works with athletes down there.

Quote Originally Posted by tolnabison View Post
    SDSU isn't going anywhere. That is from a pretty credible source that works with athletes down there.
    Doesn't suprise me, I don't really care though. We should go alone if we have to, FCS football is a road to nowhere.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post

Yep, NDSU needs MW and the MW doesn't remotely need NDSU, probably doesn't even want NDSU. The sad reality

If you guys are ever looking for a date though.. don't lose this number
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*