Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NCAA Media Rules Review

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NCAA Media Rules Review

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Indy, last one was awesome. So, if the receiving player on the onside kick would have accidently batted it forward, would it then be an illegal forward pass giving a rekick opportunity?
    Week 14 video added. I'm replying to this comment because there is an example of an illegal bat on a free kick, but it went forward. Mr. Shaw points out it's a 10-yard penalty from the previous spot and re-kick.

There were a couple plays from our internal video I wish he would have included. One was an illegal kick of a backward pass. I believe the ball was snapped around the A20 and it was kicked about the A10. That is enforced from the spot of the kick half the distance and a loss of down. You don't see it often. The other play was from the UCD-SDSU playoff game. A punt returner from SDSU signaled for a fair catch but muffed the ball. It went behind him and a UCD player caught it. It's a tight call because if a player signals for a fair catch and muffs it they are entitled to complete the catch unimpeded. The crew ruled the ball had gotten far enough away from the returner to not be a foul and Shaw supported it. Another one you don't see often, but it's a tough judgement call. i thought he was going to say this should have been a foul, but a very unfortunate one for the kicking team. They did nothing wrong other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time and reacting to a ball in their belly.

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/146...RfcpDyyQQ&s=19

Indy ever see a rule change this fast? Wow.

Not as much a rule change but an updated interpretation of existing rules. The crew was notified DURING the game this to rule him down if it happens again. That is fast! They communicated with the coaches as well. I can see them adding an editorial change in the rule book in the offseason as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Not as much a rule change but an updated interpretation of existing rules. The crew was notified DURING the game this to rule him down if it happens again. That is fast! They communicated with the coaches as well. I can see them adding an editorial change in the rule book in the offseason as well.

Couldn't they hit him with a delay of game penalty too besides ruling him down? It's no different than signaling fair catch and then running up field with the ball.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    Couldn't they hit him with a delay of game penalty too besides ruling him down? It's no different than signaling fair catch and then running up field with the ball.
    You could if it was excessive but a runner being ruled down when it's possible they weren't down is different than someone who signals for a fair catch and then runs. This would be similar to someone recovering what they thought was a fumble or interception and running it back. This situations aren't specifically covered by the rules but fall under a general "failure to return ball to official." It's very unlikely in most cases.