Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Misery State Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: Misery State Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonbythelake View Post
    No it wasn’t the warning it was the actual infraction and Entz appeared to yell at the zebra you got the whole white line to run down my guess is the linesman got scared he was going to run into someone and toss the flag. There is some stuff the Bison need to clean up but last weeks officiating crew wanted to be noticed.
    And they succeeded! As much as I appreciate Indy, refs/officials come with their own ‘tude and narcissism. They really should just be trying to stay out of the way and “officiate”.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

No it wasn’t the warning it was the actual infraction and Entz appeared to yell at the zebra you got the whole white line to run down my guess is the linesman got scared he was going to run into someone and toss the flag. There is some stuff the Bison need to clean up but last weeks officiating crew wanted to be noticed.
    They really were awful. Seemed like they wanted to be center stage

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The last thing a ref wants is to be noticed.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Talked with some experienced refs after the game. They all commented on how the crew were not the same caliber as usual and overall at times struggled as a group but ultimately did not change the ultimate outcome. Refs are usually pretty forgiving of each other as part of the club together. But you could tell they felt a bit of internal struggle.

Honestly though, refs do an awesome job overall for a pretty thankless position. So, I give them lots of respect. They all are more dedicated to the game than me. I would rather tailgate/drink before or even after the game. Plus, they don’t intentionally try to make mistakes or alter the game 99.999% of the time.

I was trying to think back of the most egregious call I can remember for Bison football. The one that came to mind was on a mythically tipped ball against I think SD or SDSU on about the 25 yard line of Fargo Dome N end. The phantom whistle against UNI may have been my favorite ref intervention of all time. The dome lost its mind after that play. Even the knitters made noise after that call. The multiple refs issues at 2010 EWU have been locked deep in my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of a Bison View Post
    Talked with some experienced refs after the game. They all commented on how the crew were not the same caliber as usual and overall at times struggled as a group but ultimately did not change the ultimate outcome. Refs are usually pretty forgiving of each other as part of the club together. But you could tell they felt a bit of internal struggle.

Honestly though, refs do an awesome job overall for a pretty thankless position. So, I give them lots of respect. They all are more dedicated to the game than me. I would rather tailgate/drink before or even after the game. Plus, they don’t intentionally try to make mistakes or alter the game 99.999% of the time.

I was trying to think back of the most egregious call I can remember for Bison football. The one that came to mind was on a mythically tipped ball against I think SD or SDSU on about the 25 yard line of Fargo Dome N end. The phantom whistle against UNI may have been my favorite ref intervention of all time. The dome lost its mind after that play. Even the knitters made noise after that call. The multiple refs issues at 2010 EWU have been locked deep in my brain.
    There was a PI in a playoff game where the defender never touched the receiver that was really bad.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Son of a Bison View Post
    I was trying to think back of the most egregious call I can remember for Bison football. The one that came to mind was on a mythically tipped ball against I think SD or SDSU on about the 25 yard line of Fargo Dome N end.
    I remember that tipped pass call and have no idea how an official gets fooled on that one. Thankfully they had replay to fix it.

It's fascinating how there are times your eyes fool you. That's why officials focus so much on mechanics and keys. Most mistakes during a play are due to a lack of concentration of being out of position. I've passed on fouls because I didn't see the entire action. It's never a good idea to assume a cause because you'll be wrong more than right. Video proves that.

The bigger issue for officials are incorrect enforcement or incorrect rules application. Those are often errors that most fans or coaches notice but officials are critical of each other. Terri examples from my game last week. We had a defensive player injured on a missed chop block (not my area of focus on the play). The wing on the near sideline or referee should have seen it but their focus was elsewhere. If graded they would both get downgrades. The player left for a play but the next play was a false start. Shortly before the next snap I noticed he was back on the field. I was 90% certain a false start wasn't considered a play that allowed him back in, but since I wasn't 100% I didn't stop it. I didn't want to shut things down to draw attention to us if I was wrong. But I know in my gut I was. The player makes an amazing play to sack the QB.

The other mistake was a defensive pass interference in the end zone. The ball was snapped in the middle of the field at the 6 yard line and the foul was in the right side of the end zone. I initially placed the ball at the 2 but then thought it would be enforced to the hash because that's where the foul occurred. Just before the ball was snapped I realized my original thought was right. The only time we adjust the hash location on DPI is when it's a spot foul within 15 yards of the previous spot. I lost concentration and went too fast.

Missed judgment calls in the heat of a play are one thing but you get in more trouble if you get it wrong because you are out of position or focused on the wrong action.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    I had an interception against Augustana back in the day. Believe it or not, it was a close game, and only a minute or so left. Their QB ended up kinda piling on after I was tackled. I got up, tossed him the ball and said “nice pass”—>flagged for unsportsmanlike (no way the crowd knew what was going on, cuz they couldn’t hear what was being said). I go to sideline and Rocky Hager is all over me and says: “You’re done for the day”—he was pissed at me!! (rightfully so). I said: “I hope so, there’s only a minute or so left and it’s our ball” (meaning I was hoping the O would finish things off). Ummm ... that didn’t go over well, but I survived.

Some ‘tude is ok, at the right time, and there’s lots of things that fans don’t see nor hear nor realize is going on.

Insert “Glory Days” here ...
    If I had a pick in a college football game, I'd respond like Joe Thornton scoring four goals.
    Co-founder of the Bluegrass Bison crew, Kev’s bag holder.