Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Game 7 Preview: Missouri State

marenlee is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2021 Game 7: Missouri State

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It's a really tired excuse that you can't recruit like the Dakota schools because you're in Missouri/Texas/Florida/etc.

Jabril Cox
    Jasir Cox
    Darrius Shepherd
    Adam Cofield
    Jalen Sundell
    Javier Derrit

All recruited out of high school to NDSU from Missouri and all difference makers... two of them became NFL players. You're right that transfers are necessary and some schools can rely on them more than others but to use it as your foundation isn't sustainable. It's also laughable you quote Jason Brown... if he and Bobby P have similar coaching philosophies and methods you won't be making any deep playoff runs anytime soon.
    Also quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaOkie View Post
    On a positive note, the name recognition of Petrino plus some wins will bring interest back to MSU football. That is a good thing for the program in the short run. I believe that is good for FCS as well as MSU.
    That same success may revive Petrino's career for one more glory trip in the next year or so but he will be gone. Players that transferred in the last year did not come for MSU glory...they came for Petrino name recognition. The program collapses once again.
    That said, there is no way Bison are treating this game any less than UNI, ISUr, or SDSU. They are used to being everyone's Super Bowl.
    The success is predicated on Petrino staying in Springfield for a while. I am not naive to his past career trajectory but family means a lot to Coach P and he has his son and son-in-laws on the staff with him. I see a job like North Texas almost certainly opening up in a few months and could see him having interest but would they allow him to have total autonomy and the ability to hire family like that? I don't know. In an ideal world he stays here for many years and hands the reins off to Nick Petrino. From the outside that might seem crazy but I think he would love to work with his family and stay settled unless the absolutely ideal situation presents itself.

The NDSU game is undoubtedly a game that many MVFC schools fixate on. For MSU, when you know you are not having to face a team like South Dakota State this year, playing a team that advanced to the quarterfinals is a game that you circle. It's arguably as tough of a conference opponent as we will face this year in the regular season. We are big underdogs but not lacking for motivation.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by StecMSU View Post
    I think using our two games with YSU this calendar year really illustrates the struggles that NDSU could have on Saturday. I watched the Penguins game in Springfield in person this past spring, they looked very slow, pretty unathletic, and very poor if I am being completely honest. No doubt the Bears went to Youngstown a couple weeks ago anticipating an easy game. The Penguins looked very different this time and defeated the Bears. I think NDSU will have a hard time taking Missouri State seriously after playing so well in Springfield in all three phases just a few months ago.

In the broader discussion of program building, I think you and others bring up good points about culture and a lot of other things. Missouri State was in a really rough spot when Petrino was brought in. The school president is very iffy on football and the athletic director is kind of a weaselly fellow who is hard to read. If we went a more traditional program building route, like Dave Steckel wanted, like Terry Allen wanted, like Randy Ball wanted, and like Del Miller wanted, the prognosis was not good. There are many on campus that would prefer Missouri State to be like Saint Louis, Wichita State, or Oral Roberts and focus on basketball with our beautiful arena. Petrino was a last ditch effort to get people to care about the sport and that path involved taking some shortcuts and having to deal with a little bad press. They even leaked Art Briles name to make the eventual hire seem more acceptable. So many had character concerns and were upset initially, but 20 months later you don't hear those people very much. Winning cures quite a bit and I know this will fall on deaf ears most likely, but Petrino gets more heat and bad press than he should. He's a good man who made a bad choice and it was public for the world to see. He isn't Dave Bliss.
    We didn't play well on offense against you guys this spring.

You guys have a real solid team this year and a pretty decent shot at beating us, so I get your enthusiasm and optimism, I really do. But I'm betting (settle down Kev, it's a figure of speech) the only thing Petrino is building is his resume. I would actually be happy to be wrong, but as soon as an FBS school comes calling he'll be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    We didn't play well on offense against you guys this spring.

You guys have a real solid team this year and a pretty decent shot at beating us, so I get your enthusiasm and optimism, I really do. But I'm betting (settle down Kev, it's a figure of speech) the only thing Petrino is building is his resume. I would actually be happy to be wrong, but as soon as an FBS school comes calling he'll be gone.
    He will be. I'm just hoping he waits until the Louisville money runs out at least so that he can leave the program to his son

Quote Originally Posted by StecMSU View Post
    I think using our two games with YSU this calendar year really illustrates the struggles that NDSU could have on Saturday. I watched the Penguins game in Springfield in person this past spring, they looked very slow, pretty unathletic, and very poor if I am being completely honest. No doubt the Bears went to Youngstown a couple weeks ago anticipating an easy game. The Penguins looked very different this time and defeated the Bears. I think NDSU will have a hard time taking Missouri State seriously after playing so well in Springfield in all three phases just a few months ago.

In the broader discussion of program building, I think you and others bring up good points about culture and a lot of other things. Missouri State was in a really rough spot when Petrino was brought in. The school president is very iffy on football and the athletic director is kind of a weaselly fellow who is hard to read. If we went a more traditional program building route, like Dave Steckel wanted, like Terry Allen wanted, like Randy Ball wanted, and like Del Miller wanted, the prognosis was not good. There are many on campus that would prefer Missouri State to be like Saint Louis, Wichita State, or Oral Roberts and focus on basketball with our beautiful arena. Petrino was a last ditch effort to get people to care about the sport and that path involved taking some shortcuts and having to deal with a little bad press. They even leaked Art Briles name to make the eventual hire seem more acceptable. So many had character concerns and were upset initially, but 20 months later you don't hear those people very much. Winning cures quite a bit and I know this will fall on deaf ears most likely, but Petrino gets more heat and bad press than he should. He's a good man who made a bad choice and it was public for the world to see. He isn't Dave Bliss.
    President Smart is not iffy on football. Not by a long shot.

I definitely don't see this as a trap game for NDSU. Remember one of these teams is a defending MVFC champ and it's not the home team. There should be ample motivation in both locker rooms.

Default Re: 2021 Game 7 Preview: Missouri State

The first few times it was said in post game interviews I was ok with it but we continue to hear shit like "wait until we start clicking, we'll be scary!".

How many times have we heard almost this exact statement from the losing team after we beat the shit out of them in the playoffs the last 10 years.

That scares me. It sounds to me like the mentality of last year is still there. We are NDSU we are good because we are supposed to be. It's like the coaches are letting the players believe it will just happen instead of making them work for it.

Now we have the head coach basically telling anyone who questions the mediocrity we are seeing on offense to shut up and mind their own business because they're idiots.

Not a great time for the program imo

Sad mediocrity for a program is qtr/semi final losses I guess that's ok????

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TAILG8R; 10-19-2021 at 04:34 PM.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    The first few times it was said in post gane interviews I was ok with it but we continue to hear shit like "wait until we start clicking, we'll be scary!".

How many times have we heard almost this exact statement from the losing team after we beat the shit out of them in the playoffs the last 10 years.

That scares me. It sounds to me like the mentality of last year is still there. We are NDSU we are good because we are supposed to be. It's like the coaches are letting the players believe it will just happen instead of making them work for it.

Now we have the head coach basically telling anyone who questions the mediocrity we are seeing on offense to shut up and mind their own business because they're idiots.

Not a great time for the program imo

Sad mediocrity for a program is qtr/semi final losses I guess that's ok????

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Look in the dictionary under "Truth." You will find these words written there.

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    Look in the dictionary under "Truth." You will find these words written there.
    I am sure the coaches do get some of the taste of what is being said on social media or the game broadcasts. The definition of professional is basically to blow that off and not air it out in a presser. A comment like that just makes places like Bville even more vitriolic toward you...like a bunch of alumni, many who are successful in their own right and may or may not give the school money or not) are not going to listen to that and take it well. If this game turns out to on the bad side...this place will burn down.

I do think QP is one of the best QBs in FCS, just need to try some more quick hitting stuff with him and not to be afraid to attempt some deep shots with Watson/Sproles.