Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Game 7 Preview: Missouri State

Default Re: 2021 Game 7: Missouri State

Does Brown's book cover how to impersonate a lawyer in an attempt to silence local newspapers who were about to publish some unflattering stories on him.

Or maybe it covers how he plans to balance marketing his business, SlapDick Whiskey (yes, that's really the name of it), with recruiting prospective student-athletes and their parents.

Default Re: 2021 Game 7 Preview: Missouri State

Quote Originally Posted by StecMSU View Post

I am not too high on Entz as a coach and have him in the Mike McCarthy/Larry Coker/George Seifert…..
    Oh you mean coaches that have actually won titles? Something Missouri State has never ever done or will ever do? You guys would kill for any of those coaches to coach your team. Just to have any sense of relevance. This is why you hired a washed up clown willing to take money from any sucker willing to pay up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bisonpride4ever View Post
    Oh you mean coaches that have actually won titles? Something Missouri State has never ever done or will ever do? You guys would kill for any of those coaches to coach your team. Just to have any sense of relevance. This is why you hired a washed up clown willing to take money from any sucker willing to pay up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MO State isn't exactly paying a lot for him..(Thank you Louisville)

Quote Originally Posted by MSUDuo View Post
    MO State isn't exactly paying a lot for him..(Thank you Louisville)
    Thank his poor motorcycle driving skills.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    Make no mistake about it, Petrino has no intention of building a culture at Missouri. He is in a win at the moment mentality. Sure, there is no doubt that he is a very good coach. But his only goal is to build up a resume that will get him back into the FBS level. He will take any player he can get or is the next best thing in order to win and make himself look good. All you need to do is look at his past and you can see that he is all about himself.
    Good thing absolutely zero of this is happening in Fargo. Entz is completely content where he is and has no need for transfers to make his team better in the short term (even at one or two key positions).

Before people get defensive, I'm not comparing MSU and NDSU. Just get a chuckle of criticizing someone for "building up their resume" and looking at ways to make the team better right now when all teams are doing this to a varying degree.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Good thing absolutely zero of this is happening in Fargo. Entz is completely content where he is and has no need for transfers to make his team better in the short term (even at one or two key positions).

Before people get defensive, I'm not comparing MSU and NDSU. Just get a chuckle of criticizing someone for "building up their resume" and looking at ways to make the team better right now when all teams are doing this to a varying degree.
    Well his point is that Petrino is mortgaging future potential success by accumulating a ton of transfers. If Petrino was in it for the long haul, he'd recruit sustainably. Bringing in 30 transfers is not sustainable.

MSU's problem will not be that Petrino is trying to make them good. The problem is that taking on all the transfers is usually a long-term program killer. The good news for MSU is that their program has been essentially dead for over a decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by StecMSU View Post
    It's a model that can and will be highly successful in the MVFC. We've lived for many years with coaches that hoped to build a program in a similar model to the Dakota schools. It doesn't work in a state like Missouri which is recruited over extensively at all levels. It's hard to find that hidden gem out there. You end up with a bunch of kids from CBC, DeSmet, Chaminade, Staley, Platte County, Lamar, and Webb City that were passed over by G5 schools and you are fighting with the Pitt States and Northwest Missouris to try and get them. That is no longer the case. We are loading up on men who have played at places like the Rose Bowl, The Coliseum, Autzen Stadium, Jordan Hare, War Memorial Stadium, etc. Guys who played at P5 or G5 schools and it just didn't work out. You combine that with a great coaching staff with extensive experience in the ACC, SEC, and also the NFL and you have something special. This has all come together quicker than anticipated, winning the conference in year one was more than we envisioned.

NDSU has amazing support and culture, but athletes and playmakers beat culture every time. Jason Browne at Independence CC said something like that on Last Chance U. We're still building the community and even institutional support, but we have the ballplayers now. Homefield advantage counts for quite a bit on Saturday and this particular NDSU team is the best team in this conference in my opinion but it's no longer a matter of if. It's when. I expect to make the playoffs and make some noise.
    Absolute bullshit. The best athletes and playmakers don't mean shit if they aren't playing together to their potential which depends on culture. NDSU didn't have better athletes or playmakers when they won all the FBS games, they might have had a handful that were better but overall rosters aren't even close. Same can be said for just about every FCS over FBS and many other "upsets" in any sport.

It is kind of interesting to hear a Missouri St fan lamenting about all the advantages NDSU has in building an FCS program. Missouri St has all the resources they need to be a very good FCS program. They have the Kansas City, St Louis, and OKC metros all the same distance or closer than NDSU is to the only metro anywhere near it (MSP). They have an enrollment over 10,000 higher (nearly double) than NDSU. Their overall athletic budget is roughly even with NDSU. They've got a decent outdoor stadium that seats 17,500 (with room for expansion) that just underwent a renovation in 2014. All they need is to take the initiative to support the program at the level they could support it.

NDSU football didn't just start winning and the fans/support followed, I've read a few interesting articles from Kolpack about how some big shot boosters got together in the 60s and decided to invest in NDSU football, they hired Darrel Mudra, and the rest was history. The interesting thing is Mudra was only here for 3 years but the program success continued under Ron Erhardt and then in the 80s with Solomonson, Morton, and Hager and on into the 2010s. Matt Entz is the 8th NDSU head football coach to win a national title with the program. 8th!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It is kind of interesting to hear a Missouri St fan lamenting about all the advantages NDSU has in building an FCS program. Missouri St has all the resources they need to be a very good FCS program. They have the Kansas City, St Louis, and OKC metros all the same distance or closer than NDSU is to the only metro anywhere near it (MSP). They have an enrollment over 10,000 higher (nearly double) than NDSU. Their overall athletic budget is roughly even with NDSU. They've got a decent outdoor stadium that seats 17,500 (with room for expansion) that just underwent a renovation in 2014. All they need is to take the initiative to support the program at the level they could support it.

NDSU football didn't just start winning and the fans/support followed, I've read a few interesting articles from Kolpack about how some big shot boosters got together in the 60s and decided to invest in NDSU football, they hired Darrel Mudra, and the rest was history. The interesting thing is Mudra was only here for 3 years but the program success continued under Ron Erhardt and then in the 80s with Solomonson, Morton, and Hager and on into the 2010s. Matt Entz is the 8th NDSU head football coach to win a national title with the program. 8th!
    You bring up some good points. Someone else a page or two ago mentioned Darrell Mudra and I googled him and learned a lot about NDSU football and the start of the program. It was genuinely interesting stuff. I think your sports radio guy, something Izzo called MSU a sleeping giant. That term always makes me cringe a bit. Everyone is a sleeping giant and so forth. The gap between our two programs in terms of history is pretty immense but it is probably unfair to just say NDSU has so many advantages and make it that simple.

As an aside, never had Jason Brown's whiskey but it does intrigue me. Another reading recommendation I have would be The Fisherman: Leadership Traits to Win the Game of Life by Dave Steckel. Very good book and also available on Amazon.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Absolute bullshit. The best athletes and playmakers don't mean shit if they aren't playing together to their potential which depends on culture. NDSU didn't have better athletes or playmakers when they won all the FBS games, they might have had a handful that were better but overall rosters aren't even close. Same can be said for just about every FCS over FBS and many other "upsets" in any sport.
    JJ watt, Tyler Lockett, David Johnson. Without even turning my brain on. All lost to ndsu.

Lardsin must go!