Quote Originally Posted by BISONBRI53 View Post
    I bet Phil really felt that burn!

He said T-Roehl is doing just fine

Think about that for a minute

DakotaOkie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2021 Game 7: Missouri State

Quote Originally Posted by StecMSU View Post
    I
    NDSU has amazing support and culture, but athletes and playmakers beat culture every time. Jason Browne at Independence CC said something like that on Last Chance U.
    Quoting losers like Browne from Last Chance U (ICC) about culture being second to athleticism is not something I would hang my hat. A losing culture will always be just that, losers. It will not create a lasting foundation for any sports program. To suggest that NDSU is not getting great athletes is pure nonsense. There will always be transfers in/out from now on due to the transfer portal but incoming athletes have to fit the culture and a winning culture will always be just that. Similarly, perpetuating the loser myth that "we just can't get good athletes because we must compete with..." is also nonsense. If you can't win over a student that heads to Pitt State or NW Mo, then there just might be something wrong with the program culture (and I am not knocking either of those schools/programs). For every kid that gets a place at Mizzou or Arkansas, there is another that wanted the same D1 dream and will take D1 scholarships from others if the school culture seems to fit them.
    Last edited by DakotaOkie; 10-19-2021 at 01:12 AM.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

athletes and playmakers beat culture every time.
    Youngstown State must really have some athletes and playmakers then.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It's a model that can and will be highly successful in the MVFC. We've lived for many years with coaches that hoped to build a program in a similar model to the Dakota schools. It doesn't work in a state like Missouri which is recruited over extensively at all levels. It's hard to find that hidden gem out there. You end up with a bunch of kids from CBC, DeSmet, Chaminade, Staley, Platte County, Lamar, and Webb City that were passed over by G5 schools and you are fighting with the Pitt States and Northwest Missouris to try and get them. That is no longer the case. We are loading up on men who have played at places like the Rose Bowl, The Coliseum, Autzen Stadium, Jordan Hare, War Memorial Stadium, etc. Guys who played at P5 or G5 schools and it just didn't work out. You combine that with a great coaching staff with extensive experience in the ACC, SEC, and also the NFL and you have something special. This has all come together quicker than anticipated, winning the conference in year one was more than we envisioned.

NDSU has amazing support and culture, but athletes and playmakers beat culture every time. Jason Browne at Independence CC said something like that on Last Chance U. We're still building the community and even institutional support, but we have the ballplayers now. Homefield advantage counts for quite a bit on Saturday and this particular NDSU team is the best team in this conference in my opinion but it's no longer a matter of if. It's when. I expect to make the playoffs and make some noise.
    Well it sucks for you then since NDSU has playmakers and athletes that play in a program with a WINNING culture. Times are tough.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    Youngstown State must really have some athletes and playmakers then.
    I think using our two games with YSU this calendar year really illustrates the struggles that NDSU could have on Saturday. I watched the Penguins game in Springfield in person this past spring, they looked very slow, pretty unathletic, and very poor if I am being completely honest. No doubt the Bears went to Youngstown a couple weeks ago anticipating an easy game. The Penguins looked very different this time and defeated the Bears. I think NDSU will have a hard time taking Missouri State seriously after playing so well in Springfield in all three phases just a few months ago.

In the broader discussion of program building, I think you and others bring up good points about culture and a lot of other things. Missouri State was in a really rough spot when Petrino was brought in. The school president is very iffy on football and the athletic director is kind of a weaselly fellow who is hard to read. If we went a more traditional program building route, like Dave Steckel wanted, like Terry Allen wanted, like Randy Ball wanted, and like Del Miller wanted, the prognosis was not good. There are many on campus that would prefer Missouri State to be like Saint Louis, Wichita State, or Oral Roberts and focus on basketball with our beautiful arena. Petrino was a last ditch effort to get people to care about the sport and that path involved taking some shortcuts and having to deal with a little bad press. They even leaked Art Briles name to make the eventual hire seem more acceptable. So many had character concerns and were upset initially, but 20 months later you don't hear those people very much. Winning cures quite a bit and I know this will fall on deaf ears most likely, but Petrino gets more heat and bad press than he should. He's a good man who made a bad choice and it was public for the world to see. He isn't Dave Bliss.

Default Re: 2021 Game 7 Preview: Missouri State

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Says the guy who lost in the semi-finals last year because of predictive playcalling.
    1660 called “social media” (think: Bisonville) out today big time. Basically said we are all idiots and that TR is doing great. In same breath talked about “what if” we had scored 2 TDs in Redzone instead of throwing interceptions, etc.

Well, we didn’t 1660 ... we only scored 20 points against a below-average team, and only 7 in first half. Or whatever it was.

Apparently 1660/Jeff C. forgot that Phil gave the O a “C” grade again and that they were both questioning the playcalling during the game. Maybe they got lectured to go back to the “company line” on what to say/defend.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

I think using our two games with YSU this calendar year really illustrates the struggles that NDSU could have on Saturday. I watched the Penguins game in Springfield in person this past spring, they looked very slow, pretty unathletic, and very poor if I am being completely honest. No doubt the Bears went to Youngstown a couple weeks ago anticipating an easy game. The Penguins looked very different this time and defeated the Bears. I think NDSU will have a hard time taking Missouri State seriously after playing so well in Springfield in all three phases just a few months ago.

In the broader discussion of program building, I think you and others bring up good points about culture and a lot of other things. Missouri State was in a really rough spot when Petrino was brought in. The school president is very iffy on football and the athletic director is kind of a weaselly fellow who is hard to read. If we went a more traditional program building route, like Dave Steckel wanted, like Terry Allen wanted, like Randy Ball wanted, and like Del Miller wanted, the prognosis was not good. There are many on campus that would prefer Missouri State to be like Saint Louis, Wichita State, or Oral Roberts and focus on basketball with our beautiful arena. Petrino was a last ditch effort to get people to care about the sport and that path involved taking some shortcuts and having to deal with a little bad press. They even leaked Art Briles name to make the eventual hire seem more acceptable. So many had character concerns and were upset initially, but 20 months later you don't hear those people very much. Winning cures quite a bit and I know this will fall on deaf ears most likely, but Petrino gets more heat and bad press than he should. He's a good man who made a bad choice and it was public for the world to see. He isn't Dave Bliss.
    And when he gets a better offer, and *POOF* he's gone... what is left for Mo State Football? NDSU's winning culture dates back to the early 60s -- coaches come and go, as do the players -- what does not disappear is the culture! That can't be built in 24 to 48 months. NDSU's program is unrivaled

DakotaOkie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

On a positive note, the name recognition of Petrino plus some wins will bring interest back to MSU football. That is a good thing for the program in the short run. I believe that is good for FCS as well as MSU.
    That same success may revive Petrino's career for one more glory trip in the next year or so but he will be gone. Players that transferred in the last year did not come for MSU glory...they came for Petrino name recognition. The program collapses once again.
    That said, there is no way Bison are treating this game any less than UNI, ISUr, or SDSU. They are used to being everyone's Super Bowl.

Is there a troll from Mo State here? Crazy.

Default Re: 2021 Game 7 Preview: Missouri State

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    1660 called “social media” (think: Bisonville) out today big time. Basically said we are all idiots and that TR is doing great. In same breath talked about “what if” we had scored 2 TDs in Redzone instead of throwing interceptions, etc.

Well, we didn’t 1660 ... we only scored 20 points against a below-average team, and only 7 in first half. Or whatever it was.

Apparently 1660/Jeff C. forgot that Phil gave the O a “C” grade again and that they were both questioning the playcalling during the game. Maybe they got lectured to go back to the “company line” on what to say/defend.
    We should start our own radio show bro.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes