Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU-R Post Game Thoughts & Discussion.

Default Re: ISU-R Post Game Thoughts & Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    What are the odds we think TR is playing dumb? Saving the big stuff for SDSU with the idea that we don’t need it until then, and if we win that game then we’ll be home in the playoffs and SDSU will be on the road?

I mean look, someone is ALWAYS going to complain about playcalling. But right now it’s EVERYONE complaining about playcalling. Moved into a house today so I wasn’t paying attention between plays, but there was two or three times where I looked back up and thought I was watching a replay of the previous QB draw. This all after QP got blasted in the first half and was limping when I saw. What the heck is going on
    I only complained about Messingham one game in his time here. He ran the ball as much more more than TR but his run game was more explosive and creative.

Polasek and Vigen were brilliant at setting up plays. When we needed something big, they had perfect timed creative plays like the wheel route. (and it looked exactly the same) They just had a good feel for the game. They just knew the perfect time to run a screen or when to do playaction or a quick hitch. Roehl has some good games but the shitty ones are becoming too frequent. It all started late 2019.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I only complained about Messingham one game in his time here. He ran the ball as much more more than TR but his run game was more explosive and creative.

Polasek and Vigen were brilliant at setting up plays. When we needed something big, they had perfect timed creative plays like the wheel route. (and it looked exactly the same) They just had a good feel for the game. They just knew the perfect time to run a screen or when to do playaction or a quick hitch. Roehl has some good games but the shitty ones are becoming too frequent. It all started late 2019.
    Polasek and Roehl’s playcalling feel way too similar to me. I’m a layman and am certainly guilty of …enjoying… the game more than analyzing ever facet of it. I’m sure there are tons of layers to schemes and play design, etc. but at the end of the day it just seems a lot of sticking with inside runs when they aren’t working and banging your head against a wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Honestly I was worried when Mess came in that he was going to be too creative. Favorite OC of all time, hands down. He blended creativity with hard nosed wear you out football. To me, Mess was a chef at a restaurant used to only having cooks
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Polasek and Roehl’s playcalling feel way too similar to me. I’m a layman and am certainly guilty of …enjoying… the game more than analyzing ever facet of it. I’m sure there are tons of layers to schemes and play design, etc. but at the end of the day it just seems a lot of sticking with inside runs when they aren’t working and banging your head against a wall.
    Polasek was similar to Roehl but when he ran the same plays, it was all building up to a perfectly timed wheel route to Chase Morlock for an easy TD uncovered. He set them up. That's just one example I can think of

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This defense FUCKS.

I hope the Southpaw from Omaha lives up to the hype.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The offense under Messingham was something to behold. I don't think we have any less talent across the board now than in '18, and of course we had Stick in his fourth year as a starter, but that offense was just brilliant. Man if only we had played an FBS game that year.

But in the calendar year 2021, our quarterbacks are struggling to maintain a 50% completion rate. That is not good enough, full stop.

I like Roehl. But he goes back to what works. Third and short? Gonnella is going down on first contact in the hole as often as not for whatever reason. You aren't running Kobe to an edge because they're crash blitzing and it's pretty clear he doesn't have whatever it is that let's a smaller guy drive through like we sometimes see. Williams isn't Lupke. Which isn't to say any of these dudes are bad.

There's a fix for this mess. It's the play action quick read pass that forces a defense to hold back on the run blitzes which let's our Oline do what it does.

And for the first time we saw the short to mid passing game do exactly that in the first quarter. It was flowing.

And then QP throws an INT and the wheels come off.

This offense has looked like crap since Trey left because Trey was a freak of nature which still relied too much on the QB run.

The early stick offense was similar. Zeb didn't work because Zeb couldn't run and we wouldn't run a constant 2 minute drill with him.

QP is a junior but he lacks the playtime of Stick or Brock or Carson and he's not a freak athlete. If he was a freshman you'd be giving him more space.

It's going to keep getting better. This game was better then the last two but they need to keep QP comfortable throwing and that's going to be a process this year. Roehl needs to find a few new wrinkles to get the ball to guys in space. He's proved he can do that - but part of the reason stuff like that seems to fall apart is our short to midrange threat is non-existent.

That is the key to fixing the Bison offense as much as Roehls play calling.

And that is all on execution by QB and his receivers.

Oh, and the idea that we're playing our cards close to the chest, not putting anything on film?

I swear, we could get bounced in the first round of the playoffs and people would keep making the excuse that we were saving all the best plays for the chipper.

Whatever. 6-0, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    This defense FUCKS.

I hope the Southpaw from Omaha lives up to the hype.
    If calf size is any indication (and it TOTALLY is), the hype is real.

How do they measure compared to Easton's?