Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU-R Post Game Thoughts & Discussion.

Default Re: ISU-R Post Game Thoughts & Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    How do they measure compared to Easton's?
    Mirror image.

By 3rd Quarter, Phil Hansen and Jeff Culhane were calling plays which was exactly what Bison did on Offense. Then Phil said, gee if we can predict plays sitting here in the booth, opposing teams can easily figure Bison Offense.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 123Gobison View Post
    By 3rd Quarter, Phil Hansen and Jeff Culhane were calling plays which was exactly what Bison did on Offense. Then Phil said, gee if we can predict plays sitting here in the booth, opposing teams can easily figure Bison Offense.
    We're damn lucky we have more talent than every team we've played so far.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Mirror image.

Another issue I saw today was ball carrier vision... as in it's lacking. Check out this freeze from Quincy's 4th and 2 QB run in the 3rd:

If he plants his left foot and brushes right off Volson's ass it's probably a touchdown. Instead he runs right into the crashing DE. There were other instances of this but this is the one that really stood out to me. I know it's a lot easier to see this in retrospect than if you have to make that decision in a split second in real time but it's an example of what looked like a terrible play call but would've worked if it had been executed a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Yeah I don’t really buy it myself, just thinking of the possibilities. The part I don’t get is why Valpo was our most creatively called game of the season. Not talking about success, because that obviously had much more to do with who the opponent was, but I mean we went from not wanting to put stuff on tape, to putting everything on tape in a game we were going to win no matter what, back to wanting to put nothing on tape again.
    To me it almost feels like TR gets "tight" in his playcalling. If he feels we cannot lose, he's more open and tries more things. The tighter the game, the more conservative it feels. The UND game felt like one from the early 90s in terms of conservative play calling.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTech View Post
    I like Roehl. But he goes back to what works. Third and short? Gonnella is going down on first contact in the hole as often as not for whatever reason. You aren't running Kobe to an edge because they're crash blitzing and it's pretty clear he doesn't have whatever it is that let's a smaller guy drive through like we sometimes see. Williams isn't Lupke. Which isn't to say any of these dudes are bad.

There's a fix for this mess. It's the play action quick read pass that forces a defense to hold back on the run blitzes which let's our Oline do what it does.

And for the first time we saw the short to mid passing game do exactly that in the first quarter. It was flowing.

And then QP throws an INT and the wheels come off.

This offense has looked like crap since Trey left because Trey was a freak of nature which still relied too much on the QB run.

The early stick offense was similar. Zeb didn't work because Zeb couldn't run and we wouldn't run a constant 2 minute drill with him.

QP is a junior but he lacks the playtime of Stick or Brock or Carson and he's not a freak athlete. If he was a freshman you'd be giving him more space.

It's going to keep getting better. This game was better then the last two but they need to keep QP comfortable throwing and that's going to be a process this year. Roehl needs to find a few new wrinkles to get the ball to guys in space. He's proved he can do that - but part of the reason stuff like that seems to fall apart is our short to midrange threat is non-existent.

That is the key to fixing the Bison offense as much as Roehls play calling.

And that is all on execution by QB and his receivers.
    Gonella is a great back, but he's hurt. Fine with playing him hurting if he can go, but we have so many good backs that he doesn't need that many carries when he's not 100%.

The defense is looking to be an all time unit. Special teams have been solid. QP has shown some flashes....if we can get a bit more consistent in the passing game and minimize turnovers, this is going to be a great team. I think they need to open it up a little bit early in the game and give him some chances to throw when he doesn't absolutely have to. As others have said, we should be throwing one up to Watson and Gindorf 3-4 times a game if single covered. I understand Watson is probably receiving a lot of attention, but I can imagine they're doubling tight ends frequently.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    To me it almost feels like TR gets "tight" in his playcalling. If he feels we cannot lose, he's more open and tries more things. The tighter the game, the more conservative it feels. The UND game felt like one from the early 90s in terms of conservative play calling.
    When in doubt run the qb.

Lardsin must go!

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    The defense is looking to be an all time unit. Special teams have been solid. QP has shown some flashes....if we can get a bit more consistent in the passing game and minimize turnovers, this is going to be a great team. I think they need to open it up a little bit early in the game and give him some chances to throw when he doesn't absolutely have to. As others have said, we should be throwing one up to Watson and Gindorf 3-4 times a game if single covered. I understand Watson is probably receiving a lot of attention, but I can imagine they're doubling tight ends frequently.
    Maybe. I like our defense but the only decent offense they have faced is UNI. Next week is an interesting game. It will be the best test for this D and a reality check before the Jacks.