Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: FCS playoff expansion?? hahahaha

Default Re: FCS playoff expansion?? hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Our own Patty V and the CAA commish are on board too unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Why? It’s not like the basketball tournament where there’s actual money for the power conference to make by having their 6th best team make the post season.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Why? It’s not like the basketball tournament where there’s actual money for the power conference to make by having their 6th best team make the post season.
    The only explanation is to placate the mediocre teams in their conferences. Those three conferences can get 5 even size teams in the playoffs but with two less at large spots now those 4,5 and certainly 6 spots are not guaranteed.

Which of course is a bullshit reason and is nothing but a push to mediocrity. And when getting more teams in the field doesn't upend the perennial top 3-4 programs they will go after scholarships and other limits to make things fair.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Because those are the 3 conferences that benefit the most from having more at-large teams since they get the vast majority of the at-large bids. Do they really care if the NCAA loses a bit more money??? The NCAA makes more money than Davey Crockett (look at Emmerts' salary) off the basketball tournament TV deal. I very much disagree with expanding the playoffs beyond 24 teams but it's pretty clear why the "big 3" FCS conferences would be at the head of pack pushing for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Because those are the 3 conferences that benefit the most from having more at-large teams since they get the vast majority of the at-large bids. Do they really care if the NCAA loses a bit more money??? The NCAA makes more money than Davey Crockett (look at Emmerts' salary) off the basketball tournament TV deal. I very much disagree with expanding the playoffs beyond 24 teams but it's pretty clear why the "big 3" FCS conferences would be at the head of pack pushing for it.
    + participation ribbons.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

First thought: You’re right, for every NDSU, JMU, SHSU, SDSU that probably don’t want expanded playoffs, there are probably five schools that do. Just a numbers thing.

After thought: Jesus, do the mediocre schools even really care? If the NCAA is losing money on playoffs, aren’t those schools losing money too? I mean, most FCS schools are just basketball schools that want to trot out a football team for a handful of rich alumni that want something to do on Saturdays. Do they even really actively want to be making the playoffs at a higher clip? There is so much apathy at FCS I honestly don’t even know.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    First thought: You’re right, for every NDSU, JMU, SHSU, SDSU that probably don’t want expanded playoffs, there are probably five schools that do. Just a numbers thing.

After thought: Jesus, do the mediocre schools even really care? If the NCAA is losing money on playoffs, aren’t those schools losing money too? I mean, most FCS schools are just basketball schools that want to trot out a football team for a handful of rich alumni that want something to do on Saturdays. Do they even really actively want to be making the playoffs at a higher clip? There is so much apathy at FCS I honestly don’t even know.
    Unless you bid for home games I don't think you can lose money playing in the playoffs since the NCAA pays travel expenses. But I do think plenty of FCS programs are in the red each year (plenty of G5 programs are also) so maybe they don't care if they're a few more thousand in the red in a playoff year.

I just hope some of these commishes and ADs who are proposing expansion sit back and think about it. It's shortsighted to think that 2 fewer at-large bids are going to mean two fewer MVFC/Big Sky/CAA teams in the playoffs. These extra AQs are going to take at-large teams away from the conferences that were gutted by realignment like the OVC and Southland. So instead of those conferences getting an at-large or three they'll be one bid leagues and what used to be a Southland or OVC at-large team will now be a WAC or ASUN autobid. So I don't think the 4th/5th place teams from the big 3 conferences will be any more squeezed than they were before for the most part.

Unless you bid for home games I don't think you can lose money playing in the playoffs since the NCAA pays travel expenses. But I do think plenty of FCS programs are in the red each year (plenty of G5 programs are also) so maybe they don't care if they're a few more thousand in the red in a playoff year.

I just hope some of these commishes and ADs who are proposing expansion sit back and think about it. It's shortsighted to think that 2 fewer at-large bids are going to mean two fewer MVFC/Big Sky/CAA teams in the playoffs. These extra AQs are going to take at-large teams away from the conferences that were gutted by realignment like the OVC and Southland. So instead of those conferences getting an at-large or three they'll be one bid leagues and what used to be a Southland or OVC at-large team will now be a WAC or ASUN autobid. So I don't think the 4th/5th place teams from the big 3 conferences will be any more squeezed than they were before for the most part.
    Well budgets aren’t just binary: black and red. Every thousand, 10,000, etc. more they’re in the red, the more that comes out of the general fund. There are “wealthy” FCS programs that don’t buy knee braces for their linemen each year (looking at you UND). That’s a $5k annual cost and a horrible place to try to save a buck. Just an example of the level of scrutiny these other programs put on their football teams. If Eastern Washington’s AD loses any more money the school is ready to cancel the football team. That’s the level of commitment we’re talking about here.
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

While I'm adamantly opposed to this, but if you do, it sure as hell better only be 2 more for the 2 AQ's....then you simply have 6 seeded teams with byes. I still think you'd need to make sure you don't screw teams 7 and 8 with the regionalization shit......but these folks are so dumb, they'll mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    While I'm adamantly opposed to this, but if you do, it sure as hell better only be 2 more for the 2 AQ's....then you simply have 6 seeded teams with byes. I still think you'd need to make sure you don't screw teams 7 and 8 with the regionalization shit......but these folks are so dumb, they'll mess it up.
    Yeah, fear of change is real when the people orchestrating the change have either dubious motives or are incompetent
    *one day later*

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I fear that McFeely (who, if I remember correctly, was paraphrasing the Big Sky commish) is right. They will push for 32 teams with no byes and it is going to make the NCAA go into "Extreme Couponing" money saving mode. Essentially we will be back to (an even larger) regional D2 playoff system.