Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: UNI Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: UNI Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    To me the gray area here underscores the need to separate targeting calls into two separate categories. There's far too much inconsistency in how these are called to have an automatic ejection riding on the call. For instance when these same two teams played in 2017 Jabril Cox got ejected for a tackle that seemed a lot less dangerous than the one Watson took: https://youtu.be/wd_K_DSYXqo?t=7262

Cox got ejected and then had to miss the first half of the next game against SDSU (the only game NDSU lost that year). Separate them a la flagrant fouls in basketball and have both be a 15 yard personal foul but targeting 1 is only an ejection if it's a player's 2nd of the game whereas targeting 2 is still an automatic ejection.

I still remember the guy from Nicholls getting kicked out of a playoff game for a really ticky tack one: https://youtu.be/HnPPZS3WHVU?t=3370
    The key difference between the Cox hit and the one Saturday was the part of the helmet that initiates contact. Cox was square on the top/crown of the helmet. The one Saturday was more facemask with some of the forehead area. That version of targeting is much more to protect the hitter than the hittee.

As a side note the white hat in the Cox hat is a good friend of mine now working in the MAC.

As for Gully's comment about this being consistent with others he's seen called. I disagree but not in a good way. There has been a lot of inconstancy in what has been called on the field and replay. There is a huge desire to get it right but sorry an aversion to not eject someone on a marginal call. That's why "stands" went away as an option when it comes to targeting.

Changing the rule to have two different levels of targeting only adds another judgment call that will lead to more controversy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Isn't one type of targeting Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area which is separate from Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The key difference between the Cox hit and the one Saturday was the part of the helmet that initiates contact. Cox was square on the top/crown of the helmet. The one Saturday was more facemask with some of the forehead area. That version of targeting is much more to protect the hitter than the hittee.

As a side note the white hat in the Cox hat is a good friend of mine now working in the MAC.

As for Gully's comment about this being consistent with others he's seen called. I disagree but not in a good way. There has been a lot of inconstancy in what has been called on the field and replay. There is a huge desire to get it right but sorry an aversion to not eject someone on a marginal call. That's why "stands" went away as an option when it comes to targeting.

Changing the rule to have two different levels of targeting only adds another judgment call that will lead to more controversy.

It's OK to not be OK.

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Isn't one type of targeting Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area which is separate from Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet
    ?
    Yes but the opponent has to be defenseless. The runner is not defenseless in this case. The only way this is targeting is crown of the helmet.

Blistering column by McFeely on the call:

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-...eplay-official

Every now and then Mike nails it and this was no exception. He even had Terry McAulay look at it.

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The missed targeting call by field and replay officials was blatant. Just like this “forward” pitch that overturned a Colts touchdown, which would have cemented a Colts win. Ravens did not have enough time to score 3 tds in the 4th.
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

While the other player was behind the person throwing the ball, the ball moved forward so it was not a lateral.

Quote Originally Posted by CalBison97 View Post
    The missed targeting call by field and replay officials was blatant. Just like this “forward” pitch that overturned a Colts touchdown, which would have cemented a Colts win. Ravens did not have enough time to score 3 tds in the 4th.
    It's OK to not be OK.

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by-duIX_Lr8

This guy has a pretty good breakdown and take on the "lateral."
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    While the other player was behind the person throwing the ball, the ball moved forward so it was not a lateral.
    Exactly. Watch the replay a few times and you can clearly see the ball go forward.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Exactly. Watch the replay a few times and you can clearly see the ball go forward.
    Yes it went forward because that's how physics works. If that's the rule, it's dumb. It should be based on whether the ball moved forward relative to the player who tossed it.
    The white jerseys are the best. Don't even bother to argue.

Great job NDSU...again. I annoys me to no end that NDSU does not seem to have any true down or rebuilding years, I guess that is a credit to the program, tradition, and perhaps a function of being a non-directional state university. I'm still high on UNI this year, though somewhat predictably UNI fan's hopes were a bit overly optimistic with the idea we have this stud QB who is the missing piece. I think Theo Day has great potential, but ultimately it's a 20 year-old kid who is new to the program.
    Benny Sapp's hit was obviously an infraction, but missed calls don't stun me and I don't think it was malicious. But yes dangerous and he should have been ejected.
    Hopefully UNI will get another shot at the Bison in the postseason, but I'm not holding my breath.