Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: UNI Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: UNI Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Sounds like MVFC officials are admitting blown targeting call on Watson hit. Haven’t read this thread completely, but guessing Indy defended the no-call.
    There is a Forum article (i don't have subscription so I can't read) where Entz said the league told him the no call was wrong. I have not seen anything publicly from the league but we don't know what they said. I've seen situations where a league stated something like "we would have supported targeting" and the coach twisted that to say the call on the field was wrong

It's very possible the league said this should have been called. It's close but depends entirely on how you interpret the crown of the helmet. His facemask and the forehead part of the helmet is what appears to make contact. We've been told the forehead is part of the crown. What I'm not clear on is if the forehead plus part of the top is what they meant (this is how it was always given as an example) or if a hit that includes only the forehead and facemask is also sufficient for 9-1-3 targeting (initiating with crown).

I've shared this with several college officials and the responses based entirely on the guidance they've received on the crown is different. The action the defender had of just trying to blow up a defender rather than tackle him is dangerous and part of what targeting and blindside blocks are trying to reduce. That's why I'm ok if they want this called as targeting. I'm just not 100% certain this meets the current definition. If this is targeting any tackle that includes the facemask and forehead could be targeting. Do we really want that?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

is this post in purple? Can’t tell on my IPhone. If not, how do you throw a ball backwards, but have it go forward? Magic?
    Close. “Momentum” was the correct answer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    There is a Forum article (i don't have subscription so I can't read) where Entz said the league told him the no call was wrong. I have not seen anything publicly from the league but we don't know what they said. I've seen situations where a league stated something like "we would have supported targeting" and the coach twisted that to say the call on the field was wrong

It's very possible the league said this should have been called. It's close but depends entirely on how you interpret the crown of the helmet. His facemask and the forehead part of the helmet is what appears to make contact. We've been told the forehead is part of the crown. What I'm not clear on is if the forehead plus part of the top is what they meant (this is how it was always given as an example) or if a hit that includes only the forehead and facemask is also sufficient for 9-1-3 targeting (initiating with crown).

I've shared this with several college officials and the responses based entirely on the guidance they've received on the crown is different. The action the defender had of just trying to blow up a defender rather than tackle him is dangerous and part of what targeting and blindside blocks are trying to reduce. That's why I'm ok if they want this called as targeting. I'm just not 100% certain this meets the current definition. If this is targeting any tackle that includes the facemask and forehead could be targeting. Do we really want that?

I don't know the details of the rule but what jumped out at me seeing it live at the dome and then later on replay is the defender lowered his head, left his feet and launched at a player already going down. I feel like that's either targeting or unnecessary roughness, i.e. it wasn't necessary (and it was dangerous) to hit him like that.
    The white jerseys are the best. Don't even bother to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Bridge Guy View Post
    I don't know the details of the rule but what jumped out at me seeing it live at the dome and then later on replay is the defender lowered his head, left his feet and launched at a player already going down. I feel like that's either targeting or unnecessary roughness, i.e. it wasn't necessary (and it was dangerous) to hit him like that.
    Part of what might have made the defender look like he was launching is when he left is feet to either avoid contact with another defender or maybe the other defender's body knocked his legs up in the air. It still seemed like he crouched and then went upwards to make helmet-to-helmet contact.
    It's OK to not be OK.

is this post in purple? Can’t tell on my IPhone. If not, how do you throw a ball backwards, but have it go forward? Magic?
    Throw a handfull of bedazzle rinestones backwards out of your truck window while traveling 80 down the interstate. Guess what... they actually will go forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Part of what might have made the defender look like he was launching is when he left is feet to either avoid contact with another defender or maybe the other defender's body knocked his legs up in the air. It still seemed like he crouched and then went upwards to make helmet-to-helmet contact.
    Lowered head, hit helmet to helmet, launched with both feet off the ground, hit hard enough to spin Watson 180 degrees. Targeting. All day. Every day.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post

Can they change the rule or is it to foundational?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Lowered head, hit helmet to helmet, launched with both feet off the ground, hit hard enough to spin Watson 180 degrees. Targeting. All day. Every day.
    Didnt we used to have a thing called spearing? Or is that something else?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    And twice on Sundays. If that was not targeting (and it sure has heck was), then they might as well not have the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Close. “Momentum” was the correct answer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So momentum trumped the force/velocity of the backward toss/throw? Got it, but I need an aspirin for the headache I now have, and for other preventive measures.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.