Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: UNI Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: UNI Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Bridge Guy View Post
    Yes it went forward because that's how physics works. If that's the rule, it's dumb. It should be based on whether the ball moved forward relative to the player who tossed it.
    It did there was well. Everything about that was forward. An illusion that is was backward was created because both players are running forward and the passer is in front of the receiver. How do you write a rule that makes that backward but doesn't mess up another scenario? It's impossible. For example, let's say you rule it backward if the receiver is behind the passer at the time the pass is released. So now you have a situation where the planned call is a pass on the flat. The passer leads the running back who is behind him when the ball is released but the ball is clearly 2-3 yards forward. The running back drops the pass. But by this "new" rule the pass is considered backward and it's now live to be recovered by the defense.

And this play had no impact on the game. The Colts drove down the field and scored anyway to do take a 22-3 lead.

As an aside, the word lateral does not exist anywhere in the rulebook. It's a media/coach word and it's like nails on a chalkboard to most officials. It's either a forward pass or backward pass. But I get what people mean when they say it. It's like people who say Bison rather than Bizon. It's not a wrong pronunciation of the word, but it's the incorrect application of it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pantherhawkrolling View Post
    Great job NDSU...again. I annoys me to no end that NDSU does not seem to have any true down or rebuilding years, I guess that is a credit to the program, tradition, and perhaps a function of being a non-directional state university. I'm still high on UNI this year, though somewhat predictably UNI fan's hopes were a bit overly optimistic with the idea we have this stud QB who is the missing piece. I think Theo Day has great potential, but ultimately it's a 20 year-old kid who is new to the program.
    Benny Sapp's hit was obviously an infraction, but missed calls don't stun me and I don't think it was malicious. But yes dangerous and he should have been ejected.
    Hopefully UNI will get another shot at the Bison in the postseason, but I'm not holding my breath.
    #9 was interacting with the crowd down my way. Probably should focus on his job. Although it was amusing
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by pantherhawkrolling View Post
    Great job NDSU...again. I annoys me to no end that NDSU does not seem to have any true down or rebuilding years, I guess that is a credit to the program, tradition, and perhaps a function of being a non-directional state university. I'm still high on UNI this year, though somewhat predictably UNI fan's hopes were a bit overly optimistic with the idea we have this stud QB who is the missing piece. I think Theo Day has great potential, but ultimately it's a 20 year-old kid who is new to the program.
    Benny Sapp's hit was obviously an infraction, but missed calls don't stun me and I don't think it was malicious. But yes dangerous and he should have been ejected.
    Hopefully UNI will get another shot at the Bison in the postseason, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Playing UNI once a season is plenty...hopefully you land on the other side of the bracket come playoff time. Always happy to get this victory...and then worried about how we play the next week...always seem to be in a funk the next game...which is a credit to UNI.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    It did there was well. Everything about that was forward. An illusion that is was backward was created because both players are running forward and the passer is in front of the receiver. How do you write a rule that makes that backward but doesn't mess up another scenario? It's impossible. For example, let's say you rule it backward if the receiver is behind the passer at the time the pass is released. So now you have a situation where the planned call is a pass on the flat. The passer leads the running back who is behind him when the ball is released but the ball is clearly 2-3 yards forward. The running back drops the pass. But by this "new" rule the pass is considered backward and it's now live to be recovered by the defense.

And this play had no impact on the game. The Colts drove down the field and scored anyway to do take a 22-3 lead.

As an aside, the word lateral does not exist anywhere in the rulebook. It's a media/coach word and it's like nails on a chalkboard to most officials. It's either a forward pass or backward pass. But I get what people mean when they say it. It's like people who say Bison rather than Bizon. It's not a wrong pronunciation of the word, but it's the incorrect application of it.

Always am learning from Indy. Thank you....never knew that, just like I did not know free kicks after a fair catch were not allowed in college, only high school and pros. I love this kind of obscure stuff.

As described in the video shared a few posts above yours I think Rugby gets it right by saying the pass must go backward from the players hand. I can toss a ball backward relative to me and still have the ball technical go forward because of the momentum of the me and the ball I am holding.

So, did the ball go backward from the "throwing" players hand(s) at the time of release? If yes it is a backward pass.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    As described in the video shared a few posts above yours I think Rugby gets it right by saying the pass must go backward from the players hand. I can toss a ball backward relative to me and still have the ball technical go forward because of the momentum of the me and the ball I am holding.

So, did the ball go backward from the "throwing" players hand(s) at the time of release? If yes it is a backward pass.
    I don't believe it does go backward from his hand. If it does then you are saying it changed direction midflight. Unless there is a big gust of wind that's not humanly possible.

I don't believe it does go backward from his hand. If it does then you are saying it changed direction midflight. Unless there is a big gust of wind that's not humanly possible.

The simple fact he is carrying the ball with him running 6,7 maybe 10 mph means when the ball leaves his hand it will travel forward even though he passes it backward. Unless of course he forcibly passes it backward which he does not. He simply lightly tosses it "backward" but it goes forward.

frames of reference are a bitch.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

If the ball would have hit ground and recovered by Ravens I do not believe it would have been ruled illegal forward pass and given back to Colts. Seen this many times and have never seen it ruled illegal forward pass in mentioned situation.

I don't see what's so confusing about this. Digitally erase the players from the video, imagine they don't exist. Trace the path of the ball as soon as it's airborne. Is that line forward or backward? That's it.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif