Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the University address

Default Re: State of the University address

Some people say Fargo-Moorhead is like a little Twin Cities while the Grand Cities are like a big Jamestown.

As for rankings, not everyone can get into a top-ranked medical or law school and just about any university will do an OK job helping someone get an education and financially rewarding career.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    With a few exceptions, the worst law and medical schools are probably still pretty good schools. My sister and two cousins graduated from UND Medical School and are doing quite well. Saying Fargo and Grand Forks are vastly different shows a complete lack of relative comparison. There are a lot more alike than different. I definitely prefer Fargo more because it's bigger and has more to offer and I have great memories there. But it's not that different.

I often wonder if actually believes the things he says or just likes to get replies like this one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    You need to look at what you are good at, ...
    UND had a president who said (paraphrased), choose a few things, do them exceptionally well, at the highest level possible. But folks here weren't fans of Chuck Kupchella.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Some people say Fargo-Moorhead is like a little Twin Cities while the Grand Cities are like a big Jamestown. [emoji3]

As for rankings, not everyone can get into a top-ranked medical or law school and just about any university will do an OK job helping someone get an education and financially rewarding career.
    Some people need to get out of the upper Midwest. If your context is other cities in a 300 mile radius then yes you'll notice a difference between the two. Grand Forks MSA is just over 100k and Fargo is about 230k. Omaha is often referred to as a smaller version of the Twin Cities and it's over 800k. That's a significant difference. I've always told people Indy (1.8m) and Minneapolis (3m) are similar but smaller. For additional comparison Madison is 500k, Milwaukee is 1.4m, Peoria is 400k, Des Moines is 700k, and Chicago is 9.5m. Even Appleton (224k), Green Bay (300k), Kalamazoo (260k), South Bend (334k), Fort Wayne (341k), and Lafayette (225k) are Fargo aize or bigger. When you look at it in that context Fargo and GF aren't that different and their environments are very similar (flat, rural cities along the Red River and business hub for many small towns in the area and home of amid sized state university).

All that said, Fargo is a great city and probably hits above its size compared to other cities their size across the country. But the same can be said for Grand Forks, Bismarckand Minor.

I have some relatives who could afford to travel and have probably never been more than 100-200 miles from their hometown. One cousin and an uncle make an occasional trip to Montana for hunting which is the only time they leave Minnesota or areas around Fargo.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Some people need to get out of the upper Midwest. If your context is other cities in a 300 mile radius then yes you'll notice a difference between the two. Grand Forks MSA is just over 100k and Fargo is about 230k. Omaha is often referred to as a smaller version of the Twin Cities and it's over 800k. That's a significant difference. I've always told people Indy (1.8m) and Minneapolis (3m) are similar but smaller. For additional comparison Madison is 500k, Milwaukee is 1.4m, Peoria is 400k, Des Moines is 700k, and Chicago is 9.5m. Even Appleton (224k), Green Bay (300k), Kalamazoo (260k), South Bend (334k), Fort Wayne (341k), and Lafayette (225k) are Fargo aize or bigger. When you look at it in that context Fargo and GF aren't that different and their environments are very similar (flat, rural cities along the Red River and business hub for many small towns in the area and home of amid sized state university).

All that said, Fargo is a great city and probably hits above its size compared to other cities their size across the country. But the same can be said for Grand Forks, Bismarckand Minor.

It's OK to not be OK.

I have some relatives who could afford to travel and have probably never been more than 100-200 miles from their hometown. One cousin and an uncle make an occasional trip to Montana for hunting which is the only time they leave Minnesota or areas around Fargo.
    I had a cat that had lived in more states (3) than 90% of my relatives.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    I had a cat that had lived in more states (3) than 90% of my relatives.
    I get teh funny feeling if I go more then 25 miles from home eh.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    I get teh funny feeling if I go more then 25 miles from home eh.
    Is that the ankle monitor buzzing?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

And there is nothing wrong with that. It definitely skews your perspective on things. When my mom was getting her masters degree at UND a friend from school came to visit. They had never been out of the Red River Valley and were amazed to find out there were "mountains" in Minot! But it's all perspective!

And this kind of myopic perspective is not unique to the upper Midwest. In fact I would bet people there probably travel more than many other regions.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    UND had a president who said (paraphrased), choose a few things, do them exceptionally well, at the highest level possible. But folks here weren't fans of Chuck Kupchella.
    Got to give Kup props. He knew UND was good at D2 football and wanted to stay there. Wish he had succeeded, better.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Got to give Kup props. He knew UND was good at D2 football and wanted to stay there. Wish he had succeeded, better.
    Now get back to your budget cuts. Chop-chop.