Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the University address

Default Re: State of the University address

Both schools are listed as R2. That's probably enough but our endowment crushes theirs.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is that right? I didn’t look. I don’t put much weight in Carnegie, which is why I never bring it up. It’s like saying bot schools are FCS. Is there a difference on the FB field do you think? I guess we’ll find out this weekend.

Carnegie is too coarse to give much info. It’s more like a gold star on your forehead. That said, folks at NDSU tell me they are very close to achieving R1 again, which is remarkable given the cuts from the state they’ve sustained. I have no doubt that the NDSU administration is eager to get that star back.

Well heck. What do you know? NDSU is now R1 again.

"NDSU is the only institution to earn this designation in North Dakota. In fact, NDSU, the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities and Montana State University are the only institutions in the six-state region of North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho to achieve such distinction."

That's actually very impressive

https://carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post

"NDSU is the only institution to earn this designation in North Dakota. In fact, NDSU, the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities and Montana State University are the only institutions in the six-state region of North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho to achieve such distinction."

Yes, I was very happy to see that email. That is a nice accomplishment for DB on his way out.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

NDSU > Wyoming, Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, South Dakota State, South Dakota, North Dakota. :thumbsup:

It's OK to not be OK.

Now for the bad news. The buzz I’m hearing is that NDSU enrollment is down again, while UND is up. Might as well get it out of the way and move forward

To understand this, you have to look at the backstory. DB created the current funding model and pushed it on Bismarck. At the same time, he completely gutted Distance and Continuing Ed at NDSU. UND, in contrast, was smart enough to read the writing on the wall in terms of demographic trends and invested heavily in online ed. Now they reap the benefits. It’s not going to help them with research, but it does get them more funding from the state. Hats off to them for not being stupid …

Now for the bad news. The buzz I’m hearing is that NDSU enrollment is down again, while UND is up. Might as well get it out of the way and move forward

To understand this, you have to look at the backstory. DB created the current funding model and pushed it on Bismarck. At the same time, he completely gutted Distance and Continuing Ed at NDSU. UND, in contrast, was smart enough to read the writing on the wall in terms of demographic trends and invested heavily in online ed. Now they reap the benefits. It’s not going to help them with research, but it does get them more funding from the state. Hats off to them for not being stupid …

I’m not sure how much success the NDSU President had in getting the funding model he actually wanted. I seem to recall the legislature completely reversing what had been recommended and introduced and basically sticking with the status quo and calling it something new.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I’m not sure how much success the NDSU President had in getting the funding model he actually wanted. I seem to recall the legislature completely reversing what had been recommended and introduced and basically sticking with the status quo and calling it something new.
    True, the relationship was antagonistic from day 1. This is where Cook will have to be a diplomat. Hopefully he can get it tweaked. Stay tuned

Trust me, it is not in NDs overall interest to keep gashing away at NDSU. I'll trust Bismarck to see this fact. NDSU is and has been an engine of commerce for the state, and while I encourage and embrace belt tightening, there will be a point of diminishing returns. I don't know what the new plan is regarding on-line ed at NDSU, but if covid shows us anything ...

True, the relationship was antagonistic from day 1. This is where Cook will have to be a diplomat. Hopefully he can get it tweaked. Stay tuned

Trust me, it is not in NDs overall interest to keep gashing away at NDSU. I'll trust Bismarck to see this fact. NDSU is and has been an engine of commerce for the state, and while I encourage and embrace belt tightening, there will be a point of diminishing returns. I don't know what the new plan is regarding on-line ed at NDSU, but if covid shows us anything ...
    On-Line is slowly coming back, and is a priority, but you're absolutely right: DB and Beth Ingram completely gutted it, ten years of work down the drain.

Now for the bad news. The buzz I’m hearing is that NDSU enrollment is down again, ...
    If you saw it coming, you planned for it --> Enrollment Cliff