Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: State of the University address

Default Re: State of the University address

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    I’ve been getting solicitation from Amazon for at least a couple of months now for their PillPack or whatever they call it. How do you expect them to effect the profession?
    The move to mail order pharmacies that started way back in the 80s has been a huge problem, and it has only gotten worse with time. More and more forces keep pushing toward that model....bigger, cheaper, etc.

However, do we know the hidden cost? To give an example, I know of a recent situation where a blood thinner was prescribed for a child that was a massive overdose. A very good pharmacists, and a well run pharmacy contacted me for help and we worked it out and got the care corrected. That could have been a disaster. That is why the pharmacist exists.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    The move to mail order pharmacies that started way back in the 80s has been a huge problem, and it has only gotten worse with time. More and more forces keep pushing toward that model....bigger, cheaper, etc.

However, do we know the hidden cost? To give an example, I know of a recent situation where a blood thinner was prescribed for a child that was a massive overdose. A very good pharmacists, and a well run pharmacy contacted me for help and we worked it out and got the care corrected. That could have been a disaster. That is why the pharmacist exists.
    Oh yeah I know why we have pharmacists and although I am an AMZN shareowner and customer I do not use their pharmacy service. I’m just curious I guess whether you think they eat CVS and Walgreen or do they further cut into the independent business or some of both? Or do they just fail?

During the pandemic, especially pre-vaccine, I was very happy to have the option of my meds being mailed to me. Not bothering now since they started charging for it.
    Don't believe everything you think.

For THEsocalledfan (and GCWaters):

I was told the Pharmacy program (faculty) had moved from practice-based to a clinical-research-based model. But now Dr. Cook's proposal include a "Pharmacy Technician" program. The faculty would seem misaligned for that as technicians are practice, not research. And NDSCS already has a pharmacy technician program. Your thoughts and observations on this?

Build Sugihara for Chem/Biochem/Geology/Geography.
    Cut Geology/Geography degrees.
    Ouch.

Here's hoping Engineering can get some better classroom space out of that if AG Hill isn't enough because Sugihara is maybe two years old.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    For THEsocalledfan (and GCWaters):

I was told the Pharmacy program (faculty) had moved from practice-based to a clinical-research-based model. But now Dr. Cook's proposal include a "Pharmacy Technician" program. The faculty would seem misaligned for that as technicians are practice, not research. And NDSCS already has a pharmacy technician program. Your thoughts and observations on this?
    I know there has been discussion about increase collaboration with Wahpeton. Pharmacy tech is exactly that, a tech field, not independent practice thus does not lend itself well to a University, but perfect for tech schools. I do not know what this would be, but I'd not support going into tech training full throttle as it does not fit with the University mission.

As for you first question, there is not any fundamental changes that have occurred, other than some extremely poor treatment of practice faculty due to budget cuts. I don't want to get into that on this forum. Any good practice based faculty member, should be doing some practice based research. That goes hand in hand and always has.

I know there has been discussion about increase collaboration with Wahpeton. Pharmacy tech is exactly that, a tech field, not independent practice thus does not lend itself well to a University, but perfect for tech schools. I do not know what this would be, but I'd not support going into tech training full throttle as it does not fit with the University mission.

As for you first question, there is not any fundamental changes that have occurred, other than some extremely poor treatment of practice faculty due to budget cuts. I don't want to get into that on this forum. Any good practice based faculty member, should be doing some practice based research. That goes hand in hand and always has.
    How does pharm tech fit with the other allied health majors? And, interestingly enough, as hard hit as pharmacy practice was, pharmaceutical science got hit even harder, in terms of numbers. Thoughts on why that is?

... some extremely poor treatment of practice faculty due to budget cuts. I don't want to get into that on this forum.
    < cough tenure track cough > ... I think I know one of them ...

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    Does that make sense?
    Yes, it does make sense
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    < cough tenure track cough > ... I think I know one of them ...
    I think folks would be pretty ashamed of NDSU if they heard the entire story. All I could think was, I hope folks don't wonder why there are faculty unions......

It is NOT just because they are non-tunure track, btw.

To say it would give me great pause about ever taking a faculty role there is an understatement.....

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Thats suprising although we could have made some progress by allowing pharmacies to be expanded. Apparently ND doesnt allow pharmacies is big box retailers. Its suprising because people need prescription drugs. All we do is export talent since we artificially keep the number of pharmacies low
    ND mandates pharmacies to be owned by the pharmacist. I assume they make more owning it than they would if they worked at a Walmart or CVS.