Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: State of the University address

Default Re: State of the University address

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Thats suprising although we could have made some progress by allowing pharmacies to be expanded. Apparently ND doesnt allow pharmacies is big box retailers. Its suprising because people need prescription drugs. All we do is export talent since we artificially keep the number of pharmacies low
    We do allow them, but the pharmacy part has to be owned by a pharmacist, not by the big box retailer (at least I think that's right). The dean of HP has been fairly prominent in the past at advocating to keep things that way, so I'm not sure that's a big part of the problem. As TSF said, pharmacy enrollment is down nationally. I would guess that the move away from smaller, local pharmacies where you have a relationship with your clientele and toward the prescription filling machines that CVS and Walmart are might have something to do with it, despite the high level of pay for those positions...but that's not my area, so I'm just speculating....

Thats suprising although we could have made some progress by allowing pharmacies to be expanded. Apparently ND doesnt allow pharmacies is big box retailers. Its suprising because people need prescription drugs. All we do is export talent since we artificially keep the number of pharmacies low
    I doubt this is accurate. By preventing the big box firms, you probably have more pharmacies that are lower volume operations. That is a much better situation for the patient. Walgreens, CVS, and the like have done serious damage to the profession. I could write 5 pages on this, but I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    The new budget model will be completely based on student credit hours generated, so it will be imperative for them to get those numbers back up if they want to sustain their faculty numbers at the level they're currently at.
    So NDSU departments with high service-course loads that are also very research/grant active (chemistry, biology, physics, ...) would seem to be well positioned

Is that accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I doubt this is accurate. By preventing the big box firms, you probably have more pharmacies that are lower volume operations. That is a much better situation for the patient. Walgreens, CVS, and the like have done serious damage to the profession. I could write 5 pages on this, but I'll leave it at that.
    I agree completely. I use a small, local pharmacy and avoid the big box stores. Better service, plus I think neighborhood pharmacies and neighborhood hardware stores just generally improve the quality of life....

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    So NDSU departments with high service-course loads that are also very research/grant active (chemistry, biology, physics, ...) would seem to be well positioned

Is that accurate?
    Departments that serve large numbers of students, either as majors or through gen ed courses, are going to be very well positioned, with or without the big research grants. The research grants will sweeten the pot for those departments, and they can also save low SCH departments if the grants are big enough. Does that make sense?

Thats suprising although we could have made some progress by allowing pharmacies to be expanded. Apparently ND doesnt allow pharmacies is big box retailers. Its surprising because people need prescription drugs. All we do is export talent since we artificially keep the number of pharmacies low
    It is quite funny how you throw such an uneducated opinion out there. Makes me wonder how uneducated your other opinions are...

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    I agree completely. I use a small, local pharmacy and avoid the big box stores. Better service, plus I think neighborhood pharmacies and neighborhood hardware stores just generally improve the quality of life....
    Northport Shopping center ftw…
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    It is quite funny how you throw such an uneducated opinion out there. Makes me wonder how uneducated your other opinions are...
    Dayum, Tab bringin the FIRE today…!
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Northport Shopping center ftw…
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I’ve been getting solicitation from Amazon for at least a couple of months now for their PillPack or whatever they call it. How do you expect them to effect the profession?
    Don't believe everything you think.