Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the University address

Default Re: State of the University address

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    Arkansas is supposedly looking at buying University of Phoenix....
    Maybe the legislature will buy us SNHU ( Southern New Hampshire University)

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Athletic Department is getting a 4% cut or about 200 grand. Poorly attended programs to be cut. They want to focus more online in the future, which is smart. Its a strong national brand

https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/n...illion-deficit
    What programs are being cut?

Quote Originally Posted by B.Schlossman Fan Club View Post
    Specifically in Athletics? See HerdBot.

In general? https://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/presi...inal__003_.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by B.Schlossman Fan Club View Post
    Hospitality & Event Management M,m
    Geology M,m
    Geography M
    Environmental Geology m
    GIS and Remote Sensing, cert
    German m
    German Studies m
    Ag Systems Management M

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Undeniably. < tip of cap >

But as CAS posits, is the 73% tapped out.
    I think it's nearly tapped out for the current state of conference / division affiliations. IF they were somehow to get a football only AAC bid, I think there is a lot more room.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

So, this move by Cook is a big deal and folks should be paying attention to this.

The combination of soft state aid, and young students wising up to getting degrees in worthless majors while being saddle by debt, has caught up with all of higher education. Sadly, and speaking as someone who used to be on the inside, and still with very close connections to a college at NDSU, higher education is terrible at "right sizing" when it is needed. Classically, they just freeze everyone's salary, don't replace folks that leave, and slowly cause damage by not taking a logical approach to the situation.

NDSU had many majors that were every low enrollment, and not generating the tuition/state support to support them, yet past presidents have failed to anything about this. This slowly was catching up to the very successful programs in ag, engineering, pharmacy etc. Everyone was getting across the board cuts, rather than making the hard choices needed.

My biggest fear was Cook would wimp out, and only cut administration, like what is being seen with the consolidations of 7 colleges down to 5. However, he did the right thing. They are going after low profitability majors and will be eliminating positions. Yes, I hate that folks may lose jobs, but the house was burning down, but you can't put out the fire without doing some damage to the house.

This should have everyone's full support. This allows NDSU to right-size, then expand back into new areas that are good ideas/meet societal needs in the future.

Watch what happens with the College of Health Professions. Much of this will likely fly under the radar, but there is potential for significant controversy. I don't want to give away any inside baseball secrets, but I'm a bit concerned the implications of the suggestions has not been fully thought through yet, thus I placed extensive comments to the proposal to assure I've done my part.

As stated, all in all this is good, however, correct execution and not backing down are now key.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    So, this move by Cook is a big deal and folks should be paying attention to this.

The combination of soft state aid, and young students wising up to getting degrees in worthless majors while being saddle by debt, has caught up with all of higher education. Sadly, and speaking as someone who used to be on the inside, and still with very close connections to a college at NDSU, higher education is terrible at "right sizing" when it is needed. Classically, they just freeze everyone's salary, don't replace folks that leave, and slowly cause damage by not taking a logical approach to the situation.

NDSU had many majors that were every low enrollment, and not generating the tuition/state support to support them, yet past presidents have failed to anything about this. This slowly was catching up to the very successful programs in ag, engineering, pharmacy etc. Everyone was getting across the board cuts, rather than making the hard choices needed.

My biggest fear was Cook would wimp out, and only cut administration, like what is being seen with the consolidations of 7 colleges down to 5. However, he did the right thing. They are going after low profitability majors and will be eliminating positions. Yes, I hate that folks may lose jobs, but the house was burning down, but you can't put out the fire without doing some damage to the house.

This should have everyone's full support. This allows NDSU to right-size, then expand back into new areas that are good ideas/meet societal needs in the future.

Watch what happens with the College of Health Professions. Much of this will likely fly under the radar, but there is potential for significant controversy. I don't want to give away any inside baseball secrets, but I'm a bit concerned the implications of the suggestions has not been fully thought through yet, thus I placed extensive comments to the proposal to assure I've done my part.

As stated, all in all this is good, however, correct execution and not backing down are now key.
    Pharmacy is down nearly 50%, so you might want to take them off your "very successful" list...

Pharmacy is down nearly 50%, so you might want to take them off your "very successful" list...
    That is a national wide trend and has to do with with the combination of lower higher ed enrollment in general, over expansions of class sizes and new colleges in the 2000s, and the working conditions at places like CVS, Walgreens, Walmart. (Check out the pharmacy class sizes currently at SDSU, MN, and Iowa right now....) Class sizes have corrected and some colleges (who should have never gotten into it) have closed. (MN currently has a big enrollment problem at the Duluth campus.) With that said, that is a flagship program at NDSU, and its a needed health career that is not going away. The market will correct, and hopefully more automation in the ambulatory side will help with pressures. On the hospital side, we can't find enough qualified clinically adept help. There are not many other majors NDSU offers that are as recession proof, and offer starting salaries higher than pharmacy. Yep, go ahead an cut it.....

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    That is a national wide trend and has to do with with the combination of lower higher ed enrollment in general, over expansions of class sizes and new colleges in the 2000s, and the working conditions at places like CVS, Walgreens, Walmart. (Check out the pharmacy class sizes currently at SDSU, MN, and Iowa right now....) Class sizes have corrected and some colleges (who should have never gotten into it) have closed. (MN currently has a big enrollment problem at the Duluth campus.) With that said, that is a flagship program at NDSU, and its a needed health career that is not going away. The market will correct, and hopefully more automation in the ambulatory side will help with pressures. On the hospital side, we can't find enough qualified clinically adept help. There are not many other majors NDSU offers that are as recession proof, and offer starting salaries higher than pharmacy. Yep, go ahead an cut it.....
    I understand all that, and no one's talking about eliminating the majors. They are, however, down nearly 400 students since 2018, which translates to well over $4 million in tuition revenue (even more with the PP differential tuition). And that was reflected in the budget cut that the college of HP took this fall. The new budget model will be completely based on student credit hours generated, so it will be imperative for them to get those numbers back up if they want to sustain their faculty numbers at the level they're currently at.

Thats suprising although we could have made some progress by allowing pharmacies to be expanded. Apparently ND doesnt allow pharmacies is big box retailers. Its suprising because people need prescription drugs. All we do is export talent since we artificially keep the number of pharmacies low

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com